Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

No time to dwell

Aberdeen defender Jackie McNamara insists he and his Dons team-mates cannot afford to dwell on their poor performance at Tannadice on Saturday.

The former Celtic captain had his first game since November 29 when he came off the bench to play the second half of his side's 3-0 defeat by Dundee United, a result which means the Dons have slipped to fifth in the SPL.

With a Scottish Cup replay against Falkirk at Pittodrie tomorrow followed by a crucial league game against Hearts and the League Cup semi-final against United at Tynecastle all in the next eight days, McNamara knows there is no time for anyone at Pittodrie to reflect on why they were so poor against the Arabs.

McNamara said: "We haven't been playing well recently, but getting draws, and the manager is disappointed we didn't ask any questions of United defensively. For the supporters, I am sure they are disappointed, too. The fans have been great this season. They have paid good money to follow us everywhere this season and we didn't do those who came to watch us justice with our performance.

"But we can't dwell on this result as we have Falkirk, Hearts and United coming up. They are three massive games for us and it is good that we are playing on Tuesday so we can put ourselves right. The manager will have a few more words to say to the players before Tuesday, I'm sure, but we have to put this behind us and focus on doing well against Falkirk."

McNamara had no plans on taking part on Saturday but, with Chris Clark having left the club, Lee Miller suspended and Michael Hart, Richard Foster and Karim Touzani injured, Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood named him and Darren Mackie, who hadn't played since October, on the bench for the game. While the final result was a sore one, the former Scotland international was happy to have gained valuable playing time as he bids to regain match fitness.

Calderwood questioned the commitment of his senior players following the game but McNamara believes the Dons could have taken something from the game had they converted their penalty when trailing 1-0.

He said: "I wasn't expecting to be involved. I have been back running for the past couple of weeks but I have only trained for three days with the rest of the players. It was good to get 45 minutes under my belt. The boys are disappointed with the performance. This is our local derby, the fans were up for it, but we didn't perform.

"It was a scrappy first half in terms of passing football but United got their goal at a crucial time. We had a chance to get back into the game with the penalty but, unfortunately, Barry Nicholson, who has been good from the spot for us this season, put his effort over the bar and it gaveUnited a lift."

1. Should they not be thinking what the fuck went wrong? Is this what happened after 4-1 at Tynie and 3-0 against well?

2. Yes we have paid alot of money, you get paid a lot of money now stop playing crap!

I wasn't expecting to be involved. I have been back running for the past couple of weeks but I have only trained for three days with the rest of the players.

This is why a large amount of our players are never match fit. Jamie Smith was rushed back from injury to play against Copenhagen because we were desperate, and he's played in every game since despite looking like he can hardly stand after 20 minutes.

This is why a large amount of our players are never match fit. Jamie Smith was rushed back from injury to play against Copenhagen because we were desperate, and he's played in every game since despite looking like he can hardly stand after 20 minutes.

"Hits nail on head" springs to mind

Guest Shabba Ranks

1. Should they not be thinking what the fuck went wrong? Is this what happened after 4-1 at Tynie and 3-0 against well?

Nope.  What's the point in them feeling sorry for themselves?  They haven't performed for a few weeks, they know that, so it's up to them to do something about it.  They have the chance to progress to the next round of the Scots Cup, a vital game against Hearts coming up (if they win they'll only be 6 points off us) and the opportunity for revenge against the Jutes in the semi-final.

I get the impression that if Jackie Mac had said the following...

"We need to dwell on this result and have a think about why we played badly.  We have Falkirk, Hearts and United coming up, three massive games for us, but we really need to dwell on the United game a bit longer.  It's not good that we are playing on Tuesday as we need more time to dwell.  The manager will have a few more words to say to the players before Tuesday, there's no doubt about that, but he really needs to understand that the players need more dwelling time before we play Falkirk.  He knows that I had a dwelling room installed at Pittodrie as part of my contract, which also included my 9k a week deal, the right to train when I be arsed, and a regular shot of spinning the tombola.  Jimmy has to accept that I'm going to take other players in as well, so we can dwell together.

The team that dwells together, wins together..."

you'd have had a right good moan at that.  There's no winning with some people.  :thumbsup:

2. Yes we have paid alot of money, you get paid a lot of money now stop playing crap!

As Shabba says, if he said that the players were dwelling on it you'd moan about that too.  There isn't any point in dwelling on it, the game's gone and we have to move on with a run of 3 very important matches that really could shape the rest of our season, and the players are obviously wanting to concentrate on these games. Maybe we should give them our support? Just a thought...

Guest Shabba Ranks

As Shabba says, if he said that the players were dwelling on it you'd moan about that too.  There isn't any point in dwelling on it, the game's gone and we have to move on with a run of 3 very important matches that really could shape the rest of our season, and the players are obviously wanting to concentrate on these games. Maybe we should give them our support? Just a thought...

That's the bit my post was missing.  :thumbsup:

Really can't understand why you'd moan at a player for not dwelling on a defeat.  :hammer:

It can't be changed now, the result is 3-0 and confined to history, it's now up to the players to pick themselves, and the fans, up with a string of good performances/results.  As you've said, the next 3 games have a huge bearing on our season.

Pre game I'm sure I read Mackie wouldnt be risked as he wasnt fully fit - oh look he played too

Presumably because we were losing at the time and the attack had been completely impotent up until that point?  Not that it got any better once he came on mind you, but you can hardly criticise the manager for having Lovell, Smith, Mackie and Maguire all on the pitch in an attempt to get back into the game.

Presumably because we were losing at the time and the attack had been completely impotent up until that point?  Not that it got any better once he came on mind you, but you can hardly criticise the manager for having Lovell, Smith, Mackie and Maguire all on the pitch in an attempt to get back into the game.

You can certainly criticise him for being responsible for us being out of the game in the first place.

Guest Shabba Ranks

You can certainly criticise him for being responsible for us being out of the game in the first place.

You'd have thought you'd get bored of being booed by now.  :lolabove::thumbsup:

The players have to take a bit of responsibility too.  I know it's an old cliche, but one they've stepped out onto the pitch, there's only so much a manager can do.  The players seem to have taken their foot off the gas since the Copenhagen game.