Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New SPFL Sponsor

BBC : Scottish Professional Football League set for new sponsor

Scottish Football could be set for a new league sponsor ahead of the new season.

Amid speculation that a deal is close the Scottish Premier Football League have told BBC Scotland that "talks are ongoing" to secure a new backer for the four divisions.

They also say they are "hopeful of an announcement being made in time for next season."

The league have been without a sponsor for the past two seasons.

The Clydesdale Bank sponsored the Scottish Premier League up until their contract expired in 2013, electing not to renew their £2m-per year deal.

I wonder how much this deal is being negotiated on the basis that Rangers need to be in the top flight. Sounds like paranoia, but its highly possible. I don't trust Doncaster to do the right thing and tell them to piss off if that is the potential sponsor demands. If the huns don't get promoted through the playoffs, then I fully expect a 16 team league to be discussed over the coming weeks for the 'good' of the game.

Failing to deliver a sponsor should have seen senior heads role.

Absolute farce.

In any other line of work it probably would have, but not for Donkeycaster, he seems to always come up smelling of roses. A shambles that a league in Scotland cant attract sponsors.

Tinfoil hat wearing part of me thinks that part of the reason we do not have a sponsor is that it would damage the argument that we need the Tribute Act to have a successful league if we did have a sponsor so the Cockwomble has not been looking for one.

Failing to deliver a sponsor should have seen senior heads role.

Absolute farce.

The problem is that Doncaster is accountable to the clubs. They're his employer, not the SFA or some anonymous suits. The SPFL board of directors are his bosses. The fact they've deemed his tenure so far to be acceptable absolutely reeks.

There's been no leadership from the top at all, with the board of directors having Doncaster as their public face, and him being unwilling to make anything like a forceful statement on anything.

A sponsor would be a start, but there needs to be a serious shake up at the top regardless.

The problem is that Doncaster is accountable to the clubs. They're his employer, not the SFA or some anonymous suits. The SPFL board of directors are his bosses. The fact they've deemed his tenure so far to be acceptable absolutely reeks.

There's been no leadership from the top at all, with the board of directors having Doncaster as their public face, and him being unwilling to make anything like a forceful statement on anything.

A sponsor would be a start, but there needs to be a serious shake up at the top regardless.

Then the clubs should take responsibility for his failure.  It's a complete embarrassment that the league doesn't have a sponsor and I am tended to agree with Jute.  I can smell a rat in this, there is something bigger at play.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone listen to sportsound on wednesday night?  You can donwload it as a podcast if you missed it.  Doncaster was on with Wilson and English who gave him a bit of an inquisition, very interesting listen and Doncaster holds his own at times. 

• 5 months later...

Saw Michael Grant just posted this quote from Andrew Driver on Twitter.  Can't say I disagree with what he's saying.  Probably why our sponsorship took so long to sort out and given to away for pittance.

CTDDZgxWcAAaaoN.png

Off on a slight tangent here but it's always bugged me that whenever the same old tired stories are trotted out about Scottish football needing the Old Firm/Rangers dutch footballers make the point that nobody in Holland cares about Scottish football apart from the Old Firm games.

Why the hell would that make a difference?  Who in Scotland gives a shite about Dutch football?! Why should what Dutch people think of the league have any relevance?

I see Drivers point about the standard of stadiums etc helping the image of the game though.

Off on a slight tangent here but it's always bugged me that whenever the same old tired stories are trotted out about Scottish football needing the Old Firm/Rangers dutch footballers make the point that nobody in Holland cares about Scottish football apart from the Old Firm games.

Why the hell would that make a difference?  Who in Scotland gives a shite about Dutch football?! Why should what Dutch people think of the league have any relevance?

I see Drivers point about the standard of stadiums etc helping the image of the game though.

It's also a lie, i've known plenty of people who have watched scottish football in holland.  In fact they had a better view of it than the fuckwits in England.  I know it's about the quality on the park and entertainment for the fans, but I do think the image of the game is important.

It's also a lie, i've known plenty of people who have watched scottish football in holland.  In fact they had a better view of it than the fuckwits in England.  I know it's about the quality on the park and entertainment for the fans, but I do think the image of the game is important.

I've no doubt it is a lie considering the players trotting out the statements... but to think the Scottish league should be judged by what some random Dutch bloke thinks is pretty laughable really.

I do agree that the image of the game is important too though.