Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Return of the Mack

www.afc.co.uk

Yesterday's defeat to Dundee Utd was hardly the dress rehearsal the Dons were looking for ahead of next Tuesday nights CIS Cup semi final against United at Tynecastle. Still there was one big positive to take from the game - Darren Mackie back on a football pitch. RedWeb caught up with Darren after training to see how he was. 

"It has been so long it was good to get back although I have preferred to have come on during better circumstances. The result was a massive disappointment"

How did the body feel after being out for so long?

"I was fine. Obviously it is totally different to what I have been doing in training so I just need more of the same to get that match sharpness and fitness back. It normally takes a couple of games. After that you start to get into it, feel a lot fitter and everything else comes back."

"It has not been ideal trying to come back at this time of the year. There have been no reserve games and the weather has not been ideal for training, with the pitches being frozen, it has been hard to do a lot. It is just good though to be back."

Darrens season has very much mirrored that of the Dons - full of incredible highs and a few low points as well - like yesterday. The striker put his name into Pittodrie folklore with the goal against Dnipro back in October that enabled Aberdeen to gain access to the UEFA Cup Group stages for the very first time, but then an ankle injury sustained in the 2-1 victory away at Inverness later that month meant Darren had to sit out all those European fixtures.

Darren admits it has been a difficult time. "I can't tell you how frustrating it has been. It has been hard to take after scoring the goal to get us there but the boys have done unbelievably well to get us through the group stages and there are obviously some big, big games to look forward to in Europe and in the Cup.

"A lot has happened since I have been out with players joining, signing new deals and leaving, plus all that has gone on in the cups, but its a good time to come back into the squad."

Thought he did well when he came on yesterday, I was very impressed.

Can't comment on that as wasn't there yesterday, but generally just pleased to see a long term injury clearing up and back in the squad.

When all is said and done, but for his finish in Dnipro, our season wouldn't be half as exciting.

Can't comment on that as wasn't there yesterday, but generally just pleased to see a long term injury clearing up and back in the squad.

When all is said and done, but for his finish in Dnipro, our season wouldn't be half as exciting.

Totally agree. Hope he can do something when he gets his fitness back.  We're needing some goals, particularly away from home where his pace should be an asset.

• 2 weeks later...