Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Oh Fit A Braw Day...

phoenix

...tae be retired!

Was gonnae go to the Belmont to see 'When We Were Young'  but it's a shame to waste all that sunshine. Think I'll just pull oot the sunlounger and sleep in the gairden.

That chemotherapy disnae half tak it oot o' ye!

Only one week of it to go.  ;D

Sorry to hear that you are one of the millions who caught cancer Phee.

Great to hear that treatment is concluding.

Been mony a muckle since I seen ye.

Diverting off topic away from the subject of retirement, a concept alien to my imagination, I would be interested to hear your views as a survivor of the big c.

It's a terrible condition. When we get to our age, we all have experience of somebody in our families or friends who has suffered it. But what is it, is the question that interests me?

In particular, is it a "modern" condition? Is the incidence now far greater in recent decades than centuries before? Is it a by-product of the way we live, what we eat, the environment in which we now live?

Maybe it's always been there but was unidentified before?

Interesting that they're now saying in their adverts that "we will beat cancer one day". Are you familiar with Aaron Schwartz, the young man killed by the U.S. government and his efforts to free knowledge, whereupon a 14 year old came up with a cure for pancreatic cancer, completely ignored by every institution apart from one solitary research assistant?

A cynic might think there's money in cancer and diabetes. Perhaps millions are being sacrificed for profit?

War gives greedy men the ability to steal on a grand scale. Our own populations are rich pickings for like minded cunts.

I was aboot to have a moan at the fact that I'm nae retired but then I read your 3rd line and changed my mind! 

The weather at the game last night was excellent and again today. But you generally only hear about our weather when folk are whinging about the rain. What most folk are unaware of is that the east/north east of Scotland generally gets the most sunshine out of the entire UK.  :thumbsup:

Here's to a speedy recovery for Phoenix and many more sunny days to lounge about in the garden.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that you are one of the millions who caught cancer Phee.

Great to hear that treatment is concluding.

Been mony a muckle since I seen ye.

Diverting off topic away from the subject of retirement, a concept alien to my imagination, I would be interested to hear your views as a survivor of the big c.

It's a terrible condition. When we get to our age, we all have experience of somebody in our families or friends who has suffered it. But what is it, is the question that interests me?

In particular, is it a "modern" condition? Is the incidence now far greater in recent decades than centuries before? Is it a by-product of the way we live, what we eat, the environment in which we now live?

Interesting that they're now saying in their adverts that "we will beat cancer one day". Are you familiar with Aaron Schwartz, the young man killed by the U.S. government and his efforts to free knowledge, whereupon a 14 year old came up with a cure for pancreatic cancer, completely ignored by every institution apart from one solitary research assistant?

A cynic might think there's money in cancer and diabetes. Perhaps millions are being sacrificed for profit?

War gives greedy men the ability to steal on a grand scale. Our own populations are rich pickings for like minded cunts.

I suspect there's some truth to what you alluded to, Rocket. There's no money in a planet full of healthy people. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if cures for various diseases were being repressed in the same way that technologies that release us from dependence on oil were repressed. But I've been a cynic for as long as I've been able to think for myself. Fuck sake.  :(

Thank you both for your kind words.  :thumbsup:

A lot to  respond too  - great to see your appetite for knowledge has not diminished , rs...arguably  , the more we know , the better life gets.

This time last year I never knew I had cancer of the ass , but I knew something wisnae right...too many trips to the lavvy. If you have diarrhea for more than three days - be alert , more than three weeks - see your doctor. I had a tumour where you widnae wish it on a Rangers supporter! Bowels = small intestine , large intestine(ascending , transverse and descending colon) , rectum and anus. My tumour was located in my rectum , the little bastard! Surgically removed now , not without a little discomfort but gie near pain free. Chemotherapy required along with radiotherapy before surgery and chemo after surgery to eliminate any remaining cancer cells. Bowel cancer we generally recover from these days , treatments , altho' brutal ,  have improved.

Will get back tae ye's...battery on wye oot...unlike me !  ;D

Glad to hear you're on the recovery Phoenix!  Certainly cancer in general is something that has probably affected most of us in one way or another.  Most I know have successfully recovered, but I've always had the thoughts that RS has alluded to, certainly to some extent anyway.  It's not in their interests to cure everyone, too much money to be made.  That said though, diseases are evolving all the time, so what may work for some won't work for future issues.  I try not to think about it too much though otherwise it would depress the fuck out of me and lead me to listen to Coldplay  :eek:

Plenty of days to enjoy the sun lounger yet Phoenix!

A lot of what I might add to this thread is culled from this book , a good read.

http://tinyurl.com/mgl64jm

Cancer has been around for thousands of years  , fossils have been found with holes where tumours used to be. The book suggests that cancer may be the original and first nasty disease to afflict mankind. Largely age-related , it is very dominant today now that we are all living longer...people used to die before cancer got a chance to kick in.

There appear to be a cocktail of reasons for today's epidemic(1 in 2 forecast for the future , I remember when it was 1in 20) , the main one being genetic(my tumour suppressing gene is switched off) but modern lifestyles probably encourage cancer making it easier to spread...what we eat or don't eat , flame retardants ,  a variety of chemicals once deemed safe.

And...once diagnosed I stopped drinking alcohol within two weeks and gave been off now for almost a year. Near sure it has assisted in my recovery. They now say bowel cancer and more than your daily allowance can aggravate/promote cancer.

>:(

Pleased to hear chemo is almost at an end Phoenix

You're a tough auld bugger and you'll beat it mate

Guess it is just the way of life, that when you're young you don't give things like cancer a second thought but as you get older it is never that far away from your thoughts, and as others have said we all know far too many folk who have contracted cancer.

Here's to a full recovery, you'll need to be fit for a foreign jaunt for our assault on the Champions League qualifiers come July 2016  ;)

A' the best

Al.

Surely it's a bit of both?

1. We used to die very young, so cancer which is generally a disease that comes with age, would be much less prevalent?

2. Would anyone have known what it was centuries ago? Did we just "die" and that was it. Did physicians, for what they were, really know that much back then?

Surely it's a bit of both?

1. We used to die very young, so cancer which is generally a disease that comes with age, would be much less prevalent?

2. Would anyone have known what it was centuries ago? Did we just "die" and that was it. Did physicians, for what they were, really know that much back then?

Historically we didn't't young there was just infant mortality which skewed the statistics. If you reached adult age you could to easily live to mid sixties.

Really need to rise but today's Capitalism means that unless there's money in it drug companies are not go to do what's best for us...in fact , they are going to employ dirty trucks to protect their market share. I am not anticapitalist but we need a new model...and soon...standards have fallen and the system works against the many far too often.

phoenix  hope your doing great.  my da came has come threw the same the last year and just waiting till may 6 th to see if he has totally defeated it. been hell of a year for him but like I  said before having laugh has helped .  and taking aggression out on jim murphy and cameron has also helped :laughing:.  you will get there in the end mate and I wish you all the best .

Cheers Hilton , I should know by the end of May how my treatment has faired. I finish the chemo this Friday tf and get a CT scan and an appointment with boss cancer doc Samuels or one of his team end of May.  The very best to your Dad...and I couldnae agree mair , a good rant is beneficial to the life force (tho' not the same as loss of temper).

Superstar tradesman , nae quite sure o' yer argument but my treatment has been foc tf...but the trend seems to be for our drug companies to hold government to ransom over some cists , at least.

Such a situation , as with Walter White in Breaking Bad , might force us into desperate measures !