Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Collins wanted Smith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7195200.stm

Former Hibernian manager John Collins has defended his time at Easter Road, and says he found it difficult to bring new players to the club.

"I looked at signing several leading Scottish players, but they were out of our wage structure," he told BBC Sport.

"I would have loved to have signed Steven Naismith, Barry Robson, Alan Gow and Jamie Smith, all of whom I admired, but it wasn't as easy as people think.........."

Heard this on the radio last night it appeared to be towards the end of last season when he made the enquiry. Nice to see it didn't go any further but begs the question of how much most of the Hibs players are actually on as he goes on to say.

"I wanted key players on better contracts like Steven Fletcher, and I told the chairman he deserved it, but the board stalled and that unsettled the player for a few weeks.

"He subsequently lost form and I didn't think the negative publicity was worth the sake of a few hundred pounds."

:-\

Apropos to nothing Hibs players transfers are currently worth on average 5 times that of Aberdeen players. A bizarre situation exists where hibs get 1.5 million for Murphy and we get 200k for Hart :o. Even accounting for age and contract length the difference shouldn't be that much.

Hibs have made a fortune out of a side that was, is, worse, or at least no better, than Aberdeens.

Asking why that is then you have to look at the power of the media in hyping up the game. The recent (10 years) lack of money and interest in the Scottish game is certainly partly to do with the fact that everyone, managers, players, media (cunts like Chick Young)  kept saying our game was shite. Say something enough times and it becomes true is a cliche but there is an element of truth to it.

The media say Hibs are brilliant and play magnificent football with wonderful young Scottish players and hey presto the big teams come knocking. These payers are out performed by Aberdeen's who everyone says are a hard working, functional side playing dull football and our players go for peanuts. Logical?

Back to Fletcher, I see him at one of the OF next season for 2 million and whilst our lot will be Lovell leaving AFC for free and I still wont understand the massive disparity.

The media say Hibs are brilliant and play magnificent football with wonderful young Scottish players and hey presto the big teams come knocking. These payers are out performed by Aberdeen's who everyone says are a hard working, functional side playing dull football and our players go for peanuts. Logical?

Says it all for me. They may be selling their team for a king's ransom but Calderwood has done a decent job of keeping his, albiet dull, team together. Going forward I would back Aberdeen's stability to reap more reward than Hibs in the near future. Long term? Who knows, perhaps Hibs will garner some stability with all this cash they are raking in. Mixu seems like a pragmatic sort of bloke.

Says it all for me. They may be selling their team for a king's ransom but Calderwood has done a decent job of keeping his, albiet dull, team together. Going forward I would back Aberdeen's stability to reap more reward than Hibs in the near future. Long term? Who knows, perhaps Hibs will garner some stability with all this cash they are raking in. Mixu seems like a pragmatic sort of bloke.

All very well. But Hibs are now running at a complete profit! They have NO debt. This is a direct result of them selling their best assets for ten times their value!

Us? We're the first non-Old Firm side to see European football past Christmas in God know's how long. But all the financial benefits from our most successful season in aaaaaaaaaaaages will still mean squat when we are still in the red and still servicing a huge debt.

We desperately need a spin-doctor at Pittodrie who can up the value of our players using words alone. I'm of no doubt that the likes of Hart and Anderson are inifinitely better players than Murphy. Yet I was gutted when Anderson went for 1million. He was a player that we did NOT want to lose, a huge Aberdeen fan, and by a long long way our most consistent player. Yet we lost him for 1million.

When Brown left for Ra Shellick, he didn't want to be at Hibs. Hibs didn't want him. And Hibs fans didn't even rate him as their best player. Yet how much did he and his mate go for? And don't even get me started on Craig Gordon. Yeah he's good. But 9million good?

When we were looking to offload Langfield to Rangers, we were hoping for a ballpark figure of around 150k for him. For all his mistakes, I'd probably rate Langfield in the top three keepers currently playing in Scotland ... perhaps top two after his display against Dnipro.

If both JC and WM have stated that we now need to be a selling club in order to operate at a profit, surely we should start actually SELLING our players instead of giving them away (a la Hart). We should not be waiting until 5 months before a player's contract is due to expire before we start talking to them. We should be speaking to them AT LEAST a year before their contract runs out. That way, if they do not sign a contract extension, we can place them on the market without fear of them signing a pre-contract agreement or losing them to the Bosman ruling in the summer.

All very well. But Hibs are now running at a complete profit! They have NO debt. This is a direct result of them selling their best assets for ten times their value!

Us? We're the first non-Old Firm side to see European football past Christmas in God know's how long. But all the financial benefits from our most successful season in aaaaaaaaaaaages will still mean squat when we are still in the red and still servicing a huge debt.

We desperately need a spin-doctor at Pittodrie who can up the value of our players using words alone. I'm of no doubt that the likes of Hart and Anderson are inifinitely better players than Murphy. Yet I was gutted when Anderson went for 1million. He was a player that we did NOT want to lose, a huge Aberdeen fan, and by a long long way our most consistent player. Yet we lost him for 1million.

When Brown left for Ra Shellick, he didn't want to be at Hibs. Hibs didn't want him. And Hibs fans didn't even rate him as their best player. Yet how much did he and his mate go for? And don't even get me started on Craig Gordon. Yeah he's good. But 9million good?

When we were looking to offload Langfield to Rangers, we were hoping for a ballpark figure of around 150k for him. For all his mistakes, I'd probably rate Langfield in the top three keepers currently playing in Scotland ... perhaps top two after his display against Dnipro.

If both JC and WM have stated that we now need to be a selling club in order to operate at a profit, surely we should start actually SELLING our players instead of giving them away (a la Hart). We should not be waiting until 5 months before a player's contract is due to expire before we start talking to them. We should be speaking to them AT LEAST a year before their contract runs out. That way, if they do not sign a contract extension, we can place them on the market without fear of them signing a pre-contract agreement or losing them to the Bosman ruling in the summer.

Supposedly we actually sold Ando for LESS than a million, 800k, If I recall correctly, being the number bandied about.

I'd be surprised if we got more than 500k for him in reality. 

This club is, unfortunately, run by total imbeciles.  Top to bottom, there can't be a member of staff with an IQ of more than double digits.

Everything the club does is half arsed and an embarrassment, from failing to sign our players on realistic length contracts to allowing a drunken manager to climb into the boot of a car on the way out the door.

Did that even seem like a good fucking idea?

"What's Paterson doing"?

"He's staggering over to that car... oh, he's getting into the boot".

"Does that seem like a good idea?  I mean, people will know he's bleezing".

"Oh, perfectly good idea.  He wants to leave with his dignity intact, you see"?

"What's that on his breeks"?

"He pished himself on the way oot ma office".

"Ah, the dignity".

Supposedly we actually sold Ando for LESS than a million, 800k, If I recall correctly, being the number bandied about.

I'd be surprised if we got more than 500k for him in reality. 

This club is, unfortunately, run by total imbeciles.  Top to bottom, there can't be a member of staff with an IQ of more than double digits.

Everything the club does is half arsed and an embarrassment, from failing to sign our players on realistic length contracts to allowing a drunken manager to climb into the boot of a car on the way out the door.

Did that even seem like a good fucking idea?

"What's Paterson doing"?

"He's staggering over to that car... oh, he's getting into the boot".

"Does that seem like a good idea?  I mean, people will know he's bleezing".

"Oh, perfectly good idea.  He wants to leave with his dignity intact, you see"?

"What's that on his breeks"?

"He pished himself on the way oot ma office".

"Ah, the dignity".

Probably the funniest thing I have ever read on here. :lolabove: :lolabove: