Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Players/management out of contract

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Diamond because we have the potential to get a good few years out of him / club captain / internationalist / sell on fee - or a mix and match of all the above.

Calderwood because a large slice of the players listed would either follow him to pastures new or wouldn't perform as well under someone else.

My reasoning precisely. I'm confident we can turn Diamond into a quality player and sell him on for a large fee. Nicholson is never going to command more than £250K (what we paid for him).

I think a lot of our players would perform better under a manager who played a consistant formation, played to the players strengths rather than the oppositions and who didn't repeatedly rubbish them in the press.

Nicholson because in order to attract players of a certain calibre to a club, you need to prove to them the type of standard that has been set.  An Aberdeen FC without a Barry Nicholson, Jamie Smith & (an in-form) Scott Severin is pretty hard to bear.  You need these players for younger players to look up to.  It wouldn't be the end of the world but you need to set a benchmark somewhere.

My second pick was Diamond, much for the reasons already mentioned here.

Hopefully JC will simple make his mind up soon cos it doesn't bode well for bringing in new players to a set-up that is uncertain.  If Hibs don't appoint Rainer Bonhof today then I wouldn't be particularly averse to a man of his calibre coming in and sorting out our youth set-up...

I think a lot of our players would perform better under a manager who played a consistant formation, played to the players strengths rather than the oppositions and who didn't repeatedly rubbish them in the press.

I'm all ears if you could tell me what Chris Clark, Richard Foster, Lee Mair, Richie Byrne and Chris Maguire's strengths are...  to name but a few.

;)

I'm all ears if you could tell me what Chris Clark, Richard Foster, Lee Mair, Richie Byrne and Chris Maguire's strengths are...  to name but a few.

;)

I'll give you that but it would be folly to expect that every player at the club would have such strengths that formations could be dictated by them. Have a look at the Motherwell squad and try and pick out 5 players with any tangible 'strengths', then flip to the highlights of them taking Dundee UTD to pieces and you will see what a manager can deliver. OK so they haven't achieved anything in real terms but a manager like that could arguably do more with our set up. I'm just not convinced the future is necessarily orange.

PS Chris Clarks's strength is that Plymouth are willing to shell out £200K for him, does it get any better  :rofl2:

Until results start to slide, I'm sticking with the man with the tan.

Anything else regarding players/strengths/formations is conjecture.

Hibs/Falkirk/Motherwell maybe playing some sexy fitba but we're putting money in the bank and progressing in four competitions.  I'm still willing to see that happen over the next few years if it means the millstone round our neck gets lighter.

Until results start to slide, I'm sticking with the man with the tan.

Anything else regarding players/strengths/formations is conjecture.

Hibs/Falkirk/Motherwell maybe playing some sexy fitba but we're putting money in the bank and progressing in four competitions.  I'm still willing to see that happen over the next few years if it means the millstone round our neck gets lighter.

:thumbsup:

And 2 hunner grand for Clark? That's akin to 50k for Gie It Tae Johnny, He's Clean Thru!! ;)

Always meaning to ask...

Where did that saying regarding Stewart actually come from?

Was it heard to be said on the park one Saturday just before he shot past an open goal?

Nah man, that was one that appeared (TM Ajja) at Tynecastle one afternoon. It came hot on the heels of a stupendous bit of skill from the Steptoe man against Livi when against all odds let the ball hammer him in the back when he could have been clean thru! I think!

Guest Nellie The Don

In order of who I want to keep most :

Diamond

Miller

Nicholson

Hart

Nicholl

Lovell

Calderwood

C. Clark

S. Clark

Byrne