Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Scottish Football Paradox

On the one hand we seemingly have an SPL packed full of mediocre sides.  Very few have looked at all impressive this season.  We have been dire in the league for most the season yet sit 4th.  No team, apart from perhaps Well and Rangers, have looked particularly impressive when they've played us this year.  Many were rank rotten: United, Hibs, Hearts, Gretna.  The rest average. 

Then on the other hand we have a resurgent Scotland side featuring more players from Scottish sides than for a generation, along with a clutch of EPL players who have seemingly comfortably switched from SPL to EPL. Meanwhile we have 3 sides in Europe after xmas for the first time since god knows when, celtic through to the knockout stage of the chumps league again, rangers into the uefa cup after a credible performance in the "group of death" and then aberdeen also in the uefa cup, first non-OF side to do as much in europe since the 80s.

Are we being overly critical of the quality of the SPL?  Do we overestimate the quality of other leagues or have the three sides in europe and the national side just been incredibly lucky?

Guest Shabba Ranks

Are we being overly critical of the quality of the SPL?  Do we overestimate the quality of other leagues or have the three sides in europe and the national side just been incredibly lucky?

There is no longer such a big gap between teams in the league methinks, and looking at the league table I'm probably right, so more games are 'dire' because teams are cancelling each other out. 

Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, ICT and Falkirk can all beat each other on their day, so for me, the defining factor come May will be who's got the best squad to deal with injuries/suspensions.  I'm convinced that Aberdeen will finish 3rd on this fact alone.  The Old Firm are not really that far ahead in terms of their first 11's, but the depth of their squads are so vast that they can cope with losing players whilst the rest of the league really struggles.

Also worth considering that we have less foreigners in the league now, so we're seeing a more British/Scottish style of game, which can be terrible to watch at times, but on the other hand is fantastic entertainment as it just doesn't let up. 

The success in Europe of Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen is based on the tempo of our football I'd say.  The games that these 3 sides have won is down to the fact they didn't let up and kept a high-tempo from start to finish.  Look at the Copenhagen game for example, even at 4-0 we still went for more goals, that just doesn't happen on the continent.

Having spoken to fans of Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and UTD at my work who watch their teams regularly I'd say we are all approaching this season with a more 'selective' style. Certainly Aberdeen have been very up for a select few games (Dnipro, Copenhagen, UTD, Hibs, ICT in CIS being a few examples). Problem is we don't seem to be able to maintain this for the majority of games. It could be that the run-of-the-mill games in the SPL are just not being taken seriously by players who increasingly operate like spoilt teenagers when it comes to effort.  ???

Having spoken to fans of Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and UTD at my work who watch their teams regularly I'd say we are all approaching this season with a more 'selective' style. Certainly Aberdeen have been very up for a select few games (Dnipro, Copenhagen, UTD, Hibs, ICT in CIS being a few examples). Problem is we don't seem to be able to maintain this for the majority of games. It could be that the run-of-the-mill games in the SPL are just not being taken seriously by players who increasingly operate like spoilt teenagers when it comes to effort.  ???

Because they've done it in games against Dnipro and Copenhagen they see the more run of the mill games as being a bit dull, perhaps? I've often wondered if it's become something of a culture thing at AFC over the past 10-15 years: every good season seems to be followed by one where the team just does not seem to give a shite, as if they've decided "well, we were good last year. See what we can do? We've nothing to prove to anyone now..." And so begins another descent into general pishness.

Guest fatshaft

There is no longer such a big gap between teams in the league methinks, and looking at the league table I'm probably right, so more games are 'dire' because teams are cancelling each other out. 

Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, ICT and Falkirk can all beat each other on their day, so for me, the defining factor come May will be who's got the best squad to deal with injuries/suspensions.  I'm convinced that Aberdeen will finish 3rd on this fact alone.  The Old Firm are not really that far ahead in terms of their first 11's, but the depth of their squads are so vast that they can cope with losing players whilst the rest of the league really struggles.

Also worth considering that we have less foreigners in the league now, so we're seeing a more British/Scottish style of game, which can be terrible to watch at times, but on the other hand is fantastic entertainment as it just doesn't let up. 

The success in Europe of Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen is based on the tempo of our football I'd say.  The games that these 3 sides have won is down to the fact they didn't let up and kept a high-tempo from start to finish.  Look at the Copenhagen game for example, even at 4-0 we still went for more goals, that just doesn't happen on the continent.

great post Shabba, I think you've hit a lot of nails on the head, especially the fact equality of talent means that teams cancel each other out.

As we've all just witnessed the majority of footballers are in it for the money, so I'd guess that the win bonuses for the cups are far higher than for the SPL.  Its the only way of explaining the difference in performances against Copenhagen, Moscow, Dnipro versus St Mirren, Gretna & Falkirk.

The UEFA bonuses agreed at the start of the season were likely to increase at a stupid rate depending on progress as I doubt anyone thought we'd get past the league stages.

Guest Shabba Ranks

great post Shabba, I think you've hit a lot of nails on the head, especially the fact equality of talent means that teams cancel each other out.

Cheers man.  :thumbsup:  You could compare it to the games in England involving the big 4 (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool).  On paper, these games are cracking ties, but they very rarely amount to that because the first 11's are so closely matched in terms of talent, they just end up cancelling each other out.

The one thing I've noticed in Scottish games this season is the edginess/nervousness around games/players because both sides know that they could lose the game as easily as they could win it.