Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hector

Nice piece on him in the EE today.  Watched him the other night against Bradford was bossed the game.  I think we were very lucky to have him for the time we did.  Nice to see how highly he speaks of both the club and the fans.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/the-dons/dons-title-push-is-no-surprise-to-red-army-favourite-michael-hector-1.852718

Dons title push is no surprise to Red Army favourite Michael Hector

BY ANTHONY JOSEPH, 18 MAR 2015 10.16AM

RED Army favourite Michael Hector insists he saw the making of a Dons team ready to challenge for the Scottish Premiership title.

Aberdeen FC are currently three points behind leaders Celtic, with only 10 games to go.

Derek McInnes’ side have been receiving plaudits from all over the country and beyond with their impressive displays and willingness to chase the champions.

Many people did not envisage Scotland’s top flight having a title race as close as this one.

But Reading defender Hector, who was on loan at the Dons last season, saw something special brewing at Pittodrie.

The 22-year-old told the Evening Express: “I could tell last season the squad was good, but they are even better this season.

“Derek McInnes has kept a strong team from last year and put them on long contracts, as well as bringing in new players.

“I think they are just going to get better and better. The fans have stuck with them too, which is great.

“The players and the staff – they all buy into what McInnes is doing at the club.

“The spirit in the team is the best I have ever seen at a football team.

“They all do stuff together, whether it’s playing golf or nights in or nights out – they are all really good friends.

“McInnes is a really good lad, as is Doc (Tony Docherty) – it’s a really good combination and it is the reason why the club is on the up.”

es-44hecsat_1426672513

Hector said he has been following the Dons on TV and on the Evening Express website.

He was disappointed his old team-mates weren’t able to earn at least a point against Celtic earlier this month.

But with the Hoops slipping up at home to St Johnstone three days later, he feels the race could well be on.

When asked if he thought the Dons can still win the league, he replied: “Yeah, anything can happen in football.

“They probably needed to get something from the Celtic game to be more in control.

“Now they are looking for other teams round about them to them to do them a favour.

“After everything I’ve done so far this year, it would be a great way to end the season, if I could come up and see them win the league.”

es-44hecxsta111_1426672508

Hector is now a regular in the heart of the Reading defence.

On Monday night, he helped his side reach the FA Cup semi-final with a 3-0 quarter-final replay win over Bradford City.

The English Championship side face Arsenal at Wembley.

And despite other loan spells with Dundalk, Barnet, Shrewsbury Town and Aldershot Town, he admitted he owes a debt to Derek McInnes and Aberdeen.

Hector played 21 times in his six months with the club and had hoped to stay for the rest of the season and play in the League Cup final.

He formed a special bond with the Dons fans and was in the stands for the memorable cup win at Celtic Park last year.

Speaking of his time in the Granite City, he said: “I had been on loan before, but Aberdeen was another level because I was playing in the Scottish Premiership.

“It was great for me and I learned so much.

“There were times at Aberdeen where I was dropped and that taught me a lot.

“McInnes was a great help. I still talk to him and still follow their progress.

“I loved my time there.

“The fans were great with me and even the directors – George Yule in particular. He really helped me crack on.”

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that he mentions Yule too.  Nae often you hear board members getting singled out.

I thought Hector was absolute class, despite his inexperience, his technical ability made him head and shoulders above most in the league. Shame we couldn't have had him for longer.

Interesting that he mentions Yule too.  Nae often you hear board members getting singled out.

I thought Hector was absolute class, despite his inexperience, his technical ability made him head and shoulders above most in the league. Shame we couldn't have had him for longer.

Thought he was a decent player but his distribution was extremely shoddy at times. I don't think we really missed him when he left, put it that way.

I thought his distribution was his best asset.  Compared to the average SPL defender, his range of passing and delivery was a cut above in my opinion.  The game he scored the peach vs Partick, as magnificent as that strike was, he out did it with the cross for McGinn's second.  I also think his skill set became the benchmark for what McInnes wanted in a new CB with Ash fitting the bill closest to our needs in our budget.

Highlights of the Partick game: 

Thought he was a decent player but his distribution was extremely shoddy at times. I don't think we really missed him when he left, put it that way.

I tend to agree with that also, although I also believe there were also enough glimpses in his play to suggest that once he cut out the mistakes there was definitely a player in there. All said I still expect him to continue developing and become a more than competent player. Can't see any scenario whereby he'll be back in an Aberdeen shirt, but glad we had him when we did. Wish him all the best.

I thought his distribution was his best asset.  Compared to the average SPL defender, his range of passing and delivery was a cut above in my opinion.  The game he scored the peach vs Partick, as magnificent as that strike was, he out did it with the cross for McGinn's second.  I also think his skill set became the benchmark for what McInnes wanted in a new CB with Ash fitting the bill closest to our needs in our budget.

I would counter that with one of the Partick games at Firhill, and a run of games thereafter where his distribution was woeful. The Partick game sticks in my mind because he was particularly bad with his passes. A lot of hoofing up the park - not alone in that, of course - but a lot of just not getting his head up, making the wrong choice and then not executing his choice well.  He has the attributes to go on and become a very accomplished player, don't get me wrong, but I really didn't get the hype over his performances while he was with us.

Also agree with the shouts re Taylor.

Hector endeared himself to the crowd, and wanted to present himself very much as one of us.

Not knocking him for it, in fact far from it, but I think that is maybe why some drool over his time with us.

Just my thoughts like Bobby.

Hector endeared himself to the crowd, and wanted to present himself very much as one of us.

Not knocking him for it, in fact far from it, but I think that is maybe why some drool over his time with us.

Aye, fair point Al. Brian Irvine built an entire career out of it, afterall...  ;)

Sounds a bit like Jason Brown.