Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Glasgow

manc_don

Absolutely shocking.

Was in George Square about mid day yesterday.

There but for the grace of God and all that.

Frankly I find some of the online comments that have been made on other sites and social media to be insensitive and totally unnecessary. At the end of the day folk going innocently about their business and never going home.

Frankly I find some of the online comments that have been made on other sites and social media to be insensitive and totally unnecessary. At the end of the day folk going innocently about their business and never going home.

People trying too hard to look "cool". The "look at me" attitude that is prevalent in so many these days. God forbid these cretins were ever affected directly by something similar.

think they are using the new laws regarding online trolling / bullying, so just now he will be named, shamed and ordered to pay some fine and community work.

What he should get is a community order to come up to Glasgow, meet the families go to the funerals and see for real (rather reading on a website) what happened and how it has affected the families. Jail time, nah

It's a tough one, it starts to cross the boundaries of freedom of speech.  If it was the tweet I saw, it was in terrible taste, but your idea of meeting the families is a good one. Certainly doesn't deserve jail time for it.

The big problem these days is that loads of folk are craving to be offended by something, so they can show what a sympathetic person they are.  On the flip side of that, there are those who are eager to offend, because....well, I don't know why, probably something missing in their lives.

More often that not it's just common decency which has been breached. People who are normally decent people, want to say something outlandish, want to be noticed.  The more attention we give them, the more it encourages others to do the same. Ignore them and they'll get back into their box eventually.

Having caused myself plenty of grief with past Internet posts I eventually adopted the attitude of 'if I wouldn't shout it out loud in a room full of strangers then I won't stick it on a public forum/ social media.  Personally fed up of twitter and people's attitude when they get behind a keyboard and their ignorance or reluctance that every action you do will have a consequenc be it positive or negative. However the media doesn't need to report such things as Internet trolling of tragic events but of course chooses to on occasion so as to prolong the story. Fairly sure the cops would just want to tell him he's a wee dick and make sure he doesn't do it again but whether or not they are under media pressure to make an example will affect the outcome

Having caused myself plenty of grief with past Internet posts I eventually adopted the attitude of 'if I wouldn't shout it out loud in a room full of strangers then I won't stick it on a public forum/ social media.  Personally fed up of twitter and people's attitude when they get behind a keyboard and their ignorance or reluctance that every action you do will have a consequenc be it positive or negative. However the media doesn't need to report such things as Internet trolling of tragic events but of course chooses to on occasion so as to prolong the story. Fairly sure the cops would just want to tell him he's a wee dick and make sure he doesn't do it again but whether or not they are under media pressure to make an example will affect the outcome

The thing is it's not about what's said at what time. The idea behind this is freedom of speech. There is a lot of things that I don't believe or I  wish weren't said but I don't want it to be illegal to say them.

I believe the law he or she will have broken is in the same category as adding 'breach of the peace' to your charge sheet. I haven't seen the tweet but I don't believe it has racist or sectarian words, it's just a combination of words which in a particular context or situation will offend and could perhaps incite something more serious ie death threats or in extreme cases public disorder or riots etc. The tweeter is free to say what they like but they need to be educated in timing, tact, an when to go public and when to keep it for yer mates. Hopefully it will just be a copper round his house explaining the situation and giving him a caution 'for his own good' and then he gets a clip round the ear from his mum or dad. The media will be the main drivers of this one as without them the cops will just say 'stop being a wee dick as it gives us more paperwork

just remembered that female troller who abused the M'canns recently. once sky news were round her house asking akward questions she went and killed herself.

that is the sort of immature people that are behind these posts. Sick anti social people that stay locked up and never interact with anyone. Be nice to see sky chase up these muppets and stick them on tv.

like i said previously. Get them round to meet the families and friends of the loved ones that died and see how quickly those hard man comments will disappear.

The tweet was clearly a joke though. I am sure if your trawl through this forum you will find jokes about many repulsive stuff and a hell of a lot of necrophilia jokes. You can't compare this sort of thing with personal direct abuse towards something. They are one of two totally different things.

Forums have admins and are self regulated. Anything really offensive will be removed fairly quick by the mods as they are responsible for the content of the board. Twitter and Facebook take little to no responsibility to what is posted by its members Also you need to be a member of forums to read a lot of the stuff and its not so easy to hit the retweet button to share it with your friends and the wider world. A joke about a general offensive subject is one thing. A joke aimed purely about a recent tragedy is something you need to watch your audience with or in the case of trolling is to get a reaction. People really need to start learning that the Internet is the real world and if you are not careful enough to ensure you are only sharing stuff with people you know you need to learn your actions and stupidity will have consequences. Before the Internet you may have ended up with a broken nose from big bloke in pub. Now you end up with a media circus and death threats from strangers all over the country which the police then have to waste valuable time investigating.

Forums have admins and are self regulated. Anything really offensive will be removed fairly quick by the mods as they are responsible for the content of the board. Twitter and Facebook take little to no responsibility to what is posted by its members Also you need to be a member of forums to read a lot of the stuff and its not so easy to hit the retweet button to share it with your friends and the wider world. A joke about a general offensive subject is one thing. A joke aimed purely about a recent tragedy is something you need to watch your audience with or in the case of trolling is to get a reaction. People really need to start learning that the Internet is the real world and if you are not careful enough to ensure you are only sharing stuff with people you know you need to learn your actions and stupidity will have consequences. Before the Internet you may have ended up with a broken nose from big bloke in pub. Now you end up with a media circus and death threats from strangers all over the country which the police then have to waste valuable time investigating.

I totally agree with what your saying. I have no problem with the police advising someone not to make silly remarks on twitter etc. The line is crossed when it becomes a criminal offence. Anyone should be allowed to express an opinion without the threat of being imprisoned, no matter how distasteful or in bad time it may be. This doesn't mean the police cannot advise individuals to behave differently but it would mean that your freedom of speech is protected.

I totally agree with what your saying. I have no problem with the police advising someone not to make silly remarks on twitter etc. The line is crossed when it becomes a criminal offence. Anyone should be allowed to express an opinion without the threat of being imprisoned, no matter how distasteful or in bad time it may be. This doesn't mean the police cannot advise individuals to behave differently but it would mean that your freedom of speech is protected.

I do have a problem with police "advising" someone not to make "silly remarks on twitter etc." and advising "individuals to behave differently".

What an extraordinary waste of public resource. The police are there to lift folk who have broken the law. They are not a social media advisory service.

I do have a problem with police "advising" someone not to make "silly remarks on twitter etc." and advising "individuals to behave differently".

What an extraordinary waste of public resource. The police are there to lift folk who have broken the law. They are not a social media advisory service.

Agree wholeheartedly. These are not the real criminals, just socially inept and as BB said, and lack common decency of a human being.  But thats directly linked to the reality TV show society we live in. People are stupid.  I try not to give people like that (whatever her name from the apprentice who's causing a storm is a prime example) the time of day.  Ignore and they'll fade from whence they came.

The police are there to provide a public service which included keeping the peace. The 'friendly' local cop giving you a warning as opposed to throwing you in jail or fining you for the most minimal of crimes is an essential part of this otherwise the number of criminal records in this country would be through the roof.

Prevention is better than a cure etc etc

Are you of the same opinion that the Fire brigade are only there to put out fires and have no business advising folk on fire safety?

The Coastguard and Mountain rescue are only there to drag you back to safety and have no business advising folk on correct equipment or when it is safe to go out sailing or rock climbing?

The GP is only there to hand out the Anti-biotics and has no business advising you how to improve your health?

The police are there to provide a public service which included keeping the peace. The 'friendly' local cop giving you a warning as opposed to throwing you in jail or fining you for the most minimal of crimes is an essential part of this otherwise the number of criminal records in this country would be through the roof.

Prevention is better than a cure etc etc

Are you of the same opinion that the Fire brigade are only there to put out fires and have no business advising folk on fire safety?

The Coastguard and Mountain rescue are only there to drag you back to safety and have no business advising folk on correct equipment or when it is safe to go out sailing or rock climbing?

The GP is only there to hand out the Anti-biotics and has no business advising you how to improve your health?

I don't really class those as the same and I don't think they do that on an individual case by case situation?  Regardless I still stand by my point.  The police can't / shouldn't spend their time molly coddling idiots, awareness and prevention is one thing but should be on a wider community basis.  First point should be the parents (if possible), then the community, PCSO etc.  If they started to haul people up on every single tweet which "causes offence" they would be neglecting their real duties of protecting the community and a waste of public money.  Obviously if it's someone who is inciting violence / hatred or bullying, that is a completely different matter.

The big problem these days is that loads of folk are craving to be offended by something, so they can show what a sympathetic person they are.  On the flip side of that, there are those who are eager to offend, because....well, I don't know why, probably something missing in their lives.

More often that not it's just common decency which has been breached. People who are normally decent people, want to say something outlandish, want to be noticed.  The more attention we give them, the more it encourages others to do the same. Ignore them and they'll get back into their box eventually.

Agree with all this completely. And the bit in bold is why I get wound up about folk always letting themselves get outraged by the mad rambling of that Hopkins bint. She's built a career or controversy. If folk didn't perpetuate it we wouldn't have to listen to it.