Scottish football needs Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the top league, says Milne

STEWART Milne admits Scotland’s top league is suffering because Rangers, Hearts and Hibs aren’t in it.

The Dons chairman said: “Everybody wants to see them back in the top division – and not just for financial reasons.

“It would give our league a better standing in the eyes of Europe if Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were in it.

“To be missing three of the biggest clubs in Scottish football has also made it more challenging to get sponsorship.

“We are having to deal with that but it’s good we will have at least one – hopefully two – of them back next season.”

We seem to having a fairly competitive league season with out them!

Disappointing to read though probably valid in the sentiment. The league is definitely less glamorous without Hibs and Hearts. Two great away days and teams that have a good support.  Certainly have less embarrassing attendances than a lot of our league members.  But all that being said, we've probably had one of the most competitive leagues in years.

Preparing the way for the Tribute Act to get into top flight if they fail to win promotion?

That's a bit of a stretch, it's a pretty valid point that the league is stronger with the traditionally bigger clubs purely down to the increased chance of decent sponsorship. Saying that in no way means they'll do anything to help them get promoted!

That's a bit of a stretch, it's a pretty valid point that the league is stronger with the traditionally bigger clubs purely down to the increased chance of decent sponsorship. Saying that in no way means they'll do anything to help them get promoted!

Not so much of a stretch when you see both Sky and Telegraph reporting that SFA are looking to bend their rules on ownership to allow Ashley take control of the Tribute Act.

Disappointing to read though probably valid in the sentiment. The league is definitely less glamorous without Hibs and Hearts. Two great away days and teams that have a good support.  Certainly have less embarrassing attendances than a lot of our league members.  But all that being said, we've probably had one of the most competitive leagues in years.

Both of whom were easily the worst teams in the league last season and deserve to be where they are.  Good supports etc shouldn't come into it - Hamilton for example, have a terrible support, but deserve to be in the league and have been a great addition this year.  For all this talk of "the league needs X, Y and Z in it", people are essentially saying "A, B and C don't deserve to be there due to their paltry support".

Sorry, but when did this all stop being about sport?  The number of fans these days who care more about their club's balance sheet than the performances on the pitch is absolutely staggering.

Not so much of a stretch when you see both Sky and Telegraph reporting that SFA are looking to bend their rules on ownership to allow Ashley take control of the Tribute Act.

That's a totally different issue though.

Just because Milne has the opinion that certain aspects of the league are stronger with the traditionally bigger teams in it doesn't mean the club would ever support bending the rules to get them back in.  I think Milne has shown in the past that he's willing to do the right thing in matters like this, so I doubt that'll change now.

Both of whom were easily the worst teams in the league last season and deserve to be where they are.  Good supports etc shouldn't come into it - Hamilton for example, have a terrible support, but deserve to be in the league and have been a great addition this year.  For all this talk of "the league needs X, Y and Z in it", people are essentially saying "A, B and C don't deserve to be there due to their paltry support".

Sorry, but when did this all stop being about sport?  The number of fans these days who care more about their club's balance sheet than the performances on the pitch is absolutely staggering.

Don't disagree with any of that but the problem still remains that investors would like to see "traditional names" and bigger crowds. I find it ridiculous that we still don't have a sponsor for the league. But, do think this has been one of the most exciting seasons in terms of quality of football and competetivness I can remember, its just a shame the crowds don't reflect that (acknowledged there are plenty of other reasons for that). I certainly haven't said anyone didn't deserve to be in the league because of it though, far from it. Hamilton have more than disproved that this season.

Bearing in mind that we've just had a local company sweep in and clear our debt, and an overseas oil company sponsor us then I've got to say Milne is talking shite.

Granted I've not been to Pittodrie in God knows how long......... I'm actually struggling to remember when?  A one-all draw with Celtic, which felt like a defeat because we were all over them, would be my guess, whenever that was?

But I digress.  If it's from the side of bigger gates due to travelling fans then I see his point, but on the investors side then I can only ever remember investment going towards the Old Firm with them also mopping up the lion's share of tv revenue and competition money.

Fuck going back to those days when the rest of us fought for the pittance we got.

Don't disagree with any of that but the problem still remains that investors would like to see "traditional names" and bigger crowds. I find it ridiculous that we still don't have a sponsor for the league. But, do think this has been one of the most exciting seasons in terms of quality of football and competetivness I can remember, its just a shame the crowds don't reflect that (acknowledged there are plenty of other reasons for that). I certainly haven't said anyone didn't deserve to be in the league because of it though, far from it. Hamilton have more than disproved that this season.

But this is the point...as long as people long for the big teams to be back in the league purely on the basis of their size, they are automatically saying that smaller teams have no place there because you can't have them back in without losing smaller teams.

The league doesn't have a sponsor...is this really a massive issue? Our league couldn't demand a massive amount of cash anyway. It's on TV, that's probably of more importance now than a league sponsor.  I see the sponsorship issue simply as another stick to beat the "powers that be" with.

unfortunately too many other wee teams that are celtic / rangers minded allow them to win the leagues by lying down to them.

the biggest gamble ever would be to get all the teams outwith the old fucks to kick them both out of scottish fitba and maybe then competition would get the crowds back

Or it could be that Celtic's turnover is in the region of 10 to 50 times the size of their competitors...

unfortunately too many other wee teams that are celtic / rangers minded allow them to win the leagues by lying down to them.

the biggest gamble ever would be to get all the teams outwith the old fucks to kick them both out of scottish fitba and maybe then competition would get the crowds back

Congratulations you win the prize for worse donstalk post ever...

What a load of shite.

If you think any team in the league purposely lies down to Celtic you need your head checked.

If they weren't of that mind, do you honestly think they're good enough to sustain it over a season? Are Aberdeen Celtic or Rangers minded, because going by your logic that's why we haven't won the league?

Look at the times Celtic were regularly spanking us by 6 or 7... was this because we wanted them to win the league or just because we were utter ding at the time? I know which one I'm going for.