Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Proof that Archie MacPherson used to know what he was talking about

Magic night, magic atmosphere. That game had everything, I can't believe we left the equaliser so late. One of the best nights at Pittodrie ever.  ;D

Dingus gets a hat trick but he still says Willie's performance is THE best he's ever seen in Europe. And considering he was 279 years old at the time (Archie, not Willie)... that's saying something...

Dingus gets a hat trick but he still says Willie's performance is THE best he's ever seen in Europe. And considering he was 279 years old at the time (Archie, not Willie)... that's saying something...

Great McGhee got a hat-trick, but the whole team performance was fantastic, and Willie Miller was absolutely out of this World. One of the best displays in an Aberdeen shirt; he was absolutely everywhere that night, just superb.

I wish I was around when we played like that.

If we beat Copenhagen that will probably be the best Aberdeen experience I'll have witnessed (us in the last 32). :(

Don't sad face it,Sneckie!! It'll be a cracking achievement. I can't wait for that game. Different times, ye know? 

by fuck, what a team we were, but yeah, we beat Copenhagen, they'll go down in the history books and good on them. No one's saying they're that standard (cos let's face it, they're far from it) but they have also achieved something so good on them (if they do it !) COME ON YE REDS!!! Get yer wee face smiling!! This is a fucking huge match on Thursday. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I know it'll be amazing, and I can't wait. Dnipro was my first Uefa cup game, and this season alone I'll have been to 4, so I'm pretty happy with that. I've also finally seen us beat Rangers this year, so all in all 2007 has been a really good year for me football wise. 2008 I'll be at my first semi-final and hopefully final, so for someone who started supporting the Dons around 94/95 these really are good times! It does make me sad though that I didn't see these games and have to rely on YouTube clips, and that I don't remember some of our best players - even people like Rico, and to an extent Jess in his first spell.

(I'm in a particularly reminiscent mood today as I have also come out with comments about the good old days being much better as you got enough snow to ski at Christmas time!)

Yeah, I know it'll be amazing, and I can't wait. Dnipro was my first Uefa cup game, and this season alone I'll have been to 4, so I'm pretty happy with that. I've also finally seen us beat Rangers this year, so all in all 2007 has been a really good year for me football wise. 2008 I'll be at my first semi-final and hopefully final, so for someone who started supporting the Dons around 94/95 these really are good times! It does make me sad though that I didn't see these games and have to rely on YouTube clips, and that I don't remember some of our best players - even people like Rico, and to an extent Jess in his first spell.

(I'm in a particularly reminiscent mood today as I have also come out with comments about the good old days being much better as you got enough snow to ski at Christmas time!)

Totally understand that, but there will be days that you've been there that will stay on YouTube forever for Dons Fans, think of it that way. Beating the huns for example, or Mackie's goal in Dnipro. It's all our history.

Started watching the YouTube link for our "Great Escape" and then all the links around that, and it sets me off every time! 

The game at Parkhead that's on YouTube, 3-0 Dandies, Charlie Nick's homecoming for them, I fucking love that game (was there with my dad and grandad who died a couple of years later, that was his last dons game) We were awesome. Paul Mason, Brian Grant (even Gerry McNee said he should be playing for scotland after that game, and yet never won a cap.), Jim Bett, Stewart McKimmie, Alex McLeish, Theo Snelders, Peter van de Ven, Hans Gillhaus... and that was a team that never won anything. That still haunts me. But, they were fucking excellent, and if they were our team today they'd sweep the board.

Don't sad face it,Sneckie!! It'll be a cracking achievement. I can't wait for that game. Different times, ye know? 

by fuck, what a team we were, but yeah, we beat Copenhagen, they'll go down in the history books and good on them. No one's saying they're that standard (cos let's face it, they're far from it) but they have also achieved something so good on them (if they do it !) COME ON YE REDS!!! Get yer wee face smiling!! This is a fucking huge match on Thursday. Enjoy it.

Although there is obviously no denying the difference in skill from that squad to this I don't think the gulf is as big as people suggest. The real difference is in attitude. That Aberdeen side had a good number of superb players but it also had some journeymen like Dougie Bell. They were world beaters because their collective and singular attitudes were exemplary. The key thing that Ferguson did for Aberdeen was to not only make them all believe they could do anything but that they had the right to expect it. He would never tolerate anyone getting outside of their ego but was a genuis at maximising the individuals contribution to a team effort. Huge difference from what we see nowadays.

Although there is obviously no denying the difference in skill from that squad to this I don't think the gulf is as big as people suggest. The real difference is in attitude. That Aberdeen side had a good number of superb players but it also had some journeymen like Dougie Bell. They were world beaters because their collective and singular attitudes were exemplary. The key thing that Ferguson did for Aberdeen was to not only make them all believe they could do anything but that they had the right to expect it. He would never tolerate anyone getting outside of their ego but was a genuis at maximising the individuals contribution to a team effort. Huge difference from what we see nowadays.

Completely and utterly agree. Did you see the way they ran back in to the dressing room at half time with the adrenelin pumping away mental style. The way the chased the ball down from kick off. If the current lot played with even half of that amount of passion you would certainly see more people turn up to watch them. I don't think it is boring football that is keeping folk fae turning up just now, or certainly not the biggest factor - I think it is missing passion on the field.

One thing that just awes me about this game every time i see it is just the attacking nature of the Dons. Every move is on the attack. In the leadup to McGhee's second goal, I counted EIGHT Aberdeen players all standing on the verge of offside! None of this patient buildup shit that we see today. Fergie's Dons never ever gave the opposition a moment to catch their breath.

One thing that just awes me about this game every time i see it is just the attacking nature of the Dons. Every move is on the attack. In the leadup to McGhee's goal, I counted EIGHT Aberdeen players all standing on the verge of offside! None of this patient buildup shit that we see today. Fergie's Dons never ever gave the opposition a moment to catch their breath.

Who got the other two?

One thing that just awes me about this game every time i see it is just the attacking nature of the Dons. Every move is on the attack. In the leadup to McGhee's goal, I counted EIGHT Aberdeen players all standing on the verge of offside! None of this patient buildup shit that we see today. Fergie's Dons never ever gave the opposition a moment to catch their breath.

There is a point where Miller receives the ball on about his own 30-40 yard line. Before he has even controlled the ball he is storming through the centre circle like a man possessed. Ends up in the left edge of the box trying to put in a cross ball. Brilliant stuff. You sensed that failing to win that tie was not an option, if we could see that mentality on Thursday, I would settle for that, regardless of the result.