Broadhill Bar to be converted to £1m restuarant and cafe

width=500 height=300http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.704006.1416996490!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620/image.jpg[/img]

The Broadhill bar is set to be turned into a £1 million restaurant and coffee facility.

Aberdeen businessman Alan Massie has taken over the city’s Broadhill Bar. Mr Massie wants to turn the property, which has lain empty since 2011, into a facility which will appeal to golfers and members of the public.

The site on Golf Road would have a restaurant and coffee shop, and a terrace looking on to the King’s Links golf course.

And Mr Massie today said he hopes to lodge a planning application for the site as early as January.

He said: “I’m hopeful of using the facility in conjunction with the golf course and the driving range.

“It has been empty for a number of years and we would be delighted to offer this kind of service to the public.”

Members of the city council’s property sub-committee voted in favour of the development ahead of five other rival bidders during a private meeting.

The bids included one from the Northern, Caledonian and Bon Accord golf clubs, businesses that announced plans to amalgamate and form a new organisation this month.

Another missed opportunity imo.

Not really

Pubs next to stadiums can be very hit and miss. Make lots of money on match days but tank the rest of the time. They get a reputation which doesn't tend to bode well for attracting casual customers.

Broadhill's location doesn't really suit it for a mainstream pub (No-one's touched it for 3+ years) and the amount it would cost to run may never have been worth the hassle

It would be a nice to think the locally based Fans would openly choose to drink there all the time if the funds were going to the club but I doubt it woudl have lasted.

Perhaps the real opportunity wasted is this was part of the site of the new 'community' stadium in the Aberdeen City masterplan of about 10 years ago.

Not really

Pubs next to stadiums can be very hit and miss. Make lots of money on match days but tank the rest of the time. They get a reputation which doesn't tend to bode well for attracting casual customers.

Broadhill's location doesn't really suit it for a mainstream pub (No-one's touched it for 3+ years) and the amount it would cost to run may never have been worth the hassle

It would be a nice to think the locally based Fans would openly choose to drink there all the time if the funds were going to the club but I doubt it woudl have lasted.

Perhaps the real opportunity wasted is this was part of the site of the new 'community' stadium in the Aberdeen City masterplan of about 10 years ago.

Yeah, I was looking through rose tinted spectacles but I was alluding to the previous idea. Part of the wider picture.