25 Greatest Dons Survey

Taken from Mad:

A couple of Aberdeen Mad regulars are collating a feature for the Aberdeen FC Former Player Association magazine 'Heavenly Dancers' about the greatest 25 players in Aberdeen's history."

They're looking for your help through the link below so please tell them your top 10 favourite  Dons of all time, in order of preference from 1-10.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JJRT5KG

Let's see yours then...

It's a tough one, i'm going to have to think about this.  Obviously a lot of them were known to be good, rather than me having witnessed them being good.

Personally I don't think you can include players you've not seen, otherwise how could you possibly rank them?  i.e. I couldn't say that Arthur Graham was better than Joe Harper but Martin Buchan was better than both when I didn't see any of them play for us. Think it has to be your favourites from what you've seen.

Personally I don't think you can include players you've not seen, otherwise how could you possibly rank them?  i.e. I couldn't say that Arthur Graham was better than Joe Harper but Martin Buchan was better than both when I didn't see any of them play for us. Think it has to be your favourites from what you've seen.

I think that will make it easier then.  Cheers  :thumbsup:

Taken from Mad:

A couple of Aberdeen Mad regulars are collating a feature for the Aberdeen FC Former Player Association magazine 'Heavenly Dancers' about the greatest 25 players in Aberdeen's history."

They're looking for your help through the link below so please tell them your top 10 favourite  Dons of all time, in order of preference from 1-10.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JJRT5KG

Let's see yours then...

Big difference between "greatest" and "favourite" for me. I'm assuming it's greatest that we're looking for though?

Having a long hard think about this, and it does show how little of the Dons I got to see when I lived abroad, i'd go for:

Eoin Jess, Shearer, Anderson, Heikkinen, Severin (on his day along side the former), Shearer, Booth, Zeroali, Leighton, McNaughton.

Big Dunc was a great player but not sure he was great enough to be included twice Manc...  ;)

Andrew Southwick who is compiling them all had sent me a link for DT users..............

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSZDZBL

So why not put it up? Scared it may create some discussion on here..?  ;)

We must be of similar age BB.  I knew you'd have him in your line up!

Aye, cracking player. I started going to matches regularly when he was first getting into the team regularly.  Two footed, could tackle, pass, get goals, covered the pitch well...absolutely everything required to be a top class midfielder and he brought the best out in Jim Bett too.

So why not put it up? Scared it may create some discussion on here..?  ;)

Aye, cracking player. I started going to matches regularly when he was first getting into the team regularly.  Two footed, could tackle, pass, get goals, covered the pitch well...absolutely everything required to be a top class midfielder and he brought the best out in Jim Bett too.

Agreed, had plenty still to offer when he was (wrongly) punted.

My worry about this is the Donald Colemans and George Hamiltons of our history won't get any votes despite being among our "greats"

Bad enough I'll bet I'm one of a few to have Ally Shewan in there, along with Martin Buchan, but Zero would not be fit to lace the boots of Coleman and Hamilton, sorry.

Your point is correct of course, but this is always the problem when you start doing polls for "greatest" whatever.

It is always heavily influenced by more recently remembered players.

The same applies when you question people on greatest ever song. A load of great (in my opinion) tracks from years ago get lost.

My worry about this is the Donald Colemans and George Hamiltons of our history won't get any votes despite being among our "greats"

Bad enough I'll bet I'm one of a few to have Ally Shewan in there, along with Martin Buchan, but Zero would not be fit to lace the boots of Coleman and Hamilton, sorry.

Always going to happen though. People can only go on what they've seen. I wouldn't have Zerouali or Irvine for example anywhere near a greatest Dons list, but folk can only vote for who they've seen and their favourite therein.

I can't say "I'll put George Hamilton in because my Grandad said he was ace". I wouldn't lose any sleep over it MBT, just a bit of fun and we've all got our own opinions and favourites which will never change, in all likelihood.