Stavrum

Former striker Arild Stavrum is back in the Granite City this weekend to promote his new crime thriller 'Exposed at the Back' and catch up with some of the many friends he made during his two season stint with the Dons. Arild will be in the club shop on Thursday evening and at the game on Saturday.

It's not particularly common for footballers to try their hand at writing fiction, but then again, the 42 year old Norwegian, was never ever your typical footballer! This is his first bash at combining football and crime to be translated into English and, as he explains, the plot sounds like a 'must read' for the millions of followers of crime fiction who are also football fans.

"I wanted to write a book that combined the football environment with a criminal plot and includes players, agents and others in the game as personalities. The story starts with the murder of a well-known football agent (so no shortage of suspects then!) and then the search to find out why he was killed and, of course, who did it! It's basically a classic murder story but set in the world of football."

The Norwegian internationalist, who the Dons signed from Helsingborg and subsequently played for Besiktas and Molde, unsurprisingly drew on his experiences as a player for the characters in his new novel, including some that he met when in the north east. "There are a lot of characters in the book and many are based on people I played or worked with during my playing days including absolutely some from Aberdeen. I will never say who they are but hopefully some of the readers will try and work out for themselves who they are based on!"

Prior to his latest offering, Arild has had five books published in Norway, including two aimed at the children's market and is currently working on his third book for youngsters. Always a fans' favourite, he is relishing returning to Aberdeen.

"I had such a fantastic time at the club. It was the time for me personally where I didn't have too many injury problems, was playing every week and enjoying my football. It was a great experience both on and off the field and I met so many good people during what was a very enjoyable period of my life. I'm not saying this because I'm coming back but I truly only have fond memories."

Having played on the losing side in two cup finals under Ebbe Skovdahl, Arild was delighted when his former club lifted the League Cup back in March. "It's great to see the progress that's been made over the past couple of seasons culminating in the cup final. The two finals we lost in 2000 still bug me to this day but the experience of playing for Aberdeen at Hampden was something I'll cherish.

"I still keep in touch with some of my former team-mates and was speaking to Eoin Jess just last week and I'm really looking forward to renewing old acquaintances this weekend."

'Exposed at the Back' is published by Freight Book and costs £14.99.

Arild will be in the AFC Club Shop at Pittodrie from 5pm to 7pm on Thursday for a book signing session(25th September 2014)

Shat on Aberdeen from a great height, we should have told him to ram his book signing.

How so? That period of time I spent away from Pittodrie. It was only when Pele got appointed that I made my return so I missed Stavrum's bit of the story.

How so? That period of time I spent away from Pittodrie. It was only when Pele got appointed that I made my return so I missed Stavrum's bit of the story.

Told the club he had to go home as his gran had died, then went and signed for Besiktas behind our backs.  The actions of a prick, basically.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can not repeat enough how much I have no respect for that man.  A striker who struggled to play the offside trap in any sort of a competent way and then shites on us from a massive height. Absolute arsehole of a man.

You've never mentioned it before bobby  ;)

As much as I liked him, he should have scored more and fucked the club over by leaving.

You've never mentioned it before bobby  ;)

As much as I liked him, he should have scored more and fucked the club over by leaving.

Willie Miller on Arild Stavrum:

He's about as fast as a fish on a motorbike.... although, the fish could probably play the offside trap better

As with Billy Dodds, scored a fair few penalties which skew his figures and as much as penos count etc, I don't think they should when talking about goalscorers. Take pens out of Dodds figures and Stavrum's and they're looking very weak indeed.

Or to put it another way, I just don't like floppy haired, slow, diminutive front men who struggle to strike a ball the way a professional footballer should.

The guy exercised a release clause, more fool us for having such a paltry one. He was a penalty box sniffer. a good one at that. In his final season he scored 17 SPL goals, 3 of which were penalties, so a whopping 17% . Most strikers will have similar.

Must be my mind playing tricks on me then. And the other season's he was with us?

Saying you're going to your gran's funeral and actually pissing off to sign for another team is pretty poor form, release clause or not.

Based on wikipedia our strikeforce the season after Stavrum left was as follows:

Darren Mackie

Leon Mike

Eugene Dadi

Hicham Zerouali

Scott Michie

Robbie Winters

Top Scorer - Robbie Winters - 14

4th Place

The following season it was changed to this Lethal Line up

Darren Mackie

Leon Mike

Leigh Hinds

Lauren D'Jaffo

Scott Michie

The Clubs top scorer that season - Paul Sheerin - 8 who I believe was signed mid season.

8th Place