Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Langfield to sign new contract next week

http://www.northsound1.co.uk/article.asp?id=236085

Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield says he's close to signing a new deal with the club. The Dons number one is out of contract at the end of the season and could leave on a Bosman. But Langfield says he's hopeful a deal can be tied up in the very near future.

According to someone on another site who listened to the radio said Langfeild said something close to the following 

he has more or less has agreed things and there should be some good news at the start of next week

Good stuff. I had my doubts about him, and his ability to claim crosses as well as his kicking but he seems to have put in some hard work since then to get the no. 1 jersey. After Dnipro I have no doubt that Langfield is 100% dandy and the performance he put in that night showed just how much ability he has.

Its up to the manager and the coaching staff to get it from him on a regular basis now.

Good stuff. I had my doubts about him, and his ability to claim crosses as well as his kicking but he seems to have put in some hard work since then to get the no. 1 jersey. After Dnipro I have no doubt that Langfield is 100% dandy and the performance he put in that night showed just how much ability he has.

Its up to the manager and the coaching staff to get it from him on a regular basis now.

Agreed - went up in estimations with heart he showed in Ukraine and since his form picked up.  Although in last few games the errors have been creeping back in.

Agreed - went up in estimations with heart he showed in Ukraine and since his form picked up.  Although in last few games the errors have been creeping back in.

Could be because he knows no matter what he does he'll stay in the team?

Hope we can get in someone who is at least as good as Langfield for next season so we can have some proper competition.

LANGFIELD HAS ANOTHER NO. 1 POSITION FOR ABERDEEN

08:50 - 15 December 2007

Goalkeeper Jamie Langfield will become the first player on Aberdeen's wanted list to commit to a new Pittodrie contract.

The Scotland international plans to sign an extended deal before Thursday's Uefa Cup tie against Copenhagen in the Granite City.

The 27-year-old, one of five first-team members currently considering offers from the Dons, hopes to have the fine print finalised early next week and has given his agent approval to complete the paperwork.

Langfield said: "The ball is in my court and, hopefully, the contract will be sorted out next week. We are very close, there only a few wee bits and pieces to be finalised at the beginning of the week. Aberdeen is the only option I'm looking at and there is a firm offer in front of me."

Barry Nicholson, Chris Clark, Zander Diamond and Michael Hart are the other players with new contracts on the table.

All will be free to speak to rival clubs in the new year but Langfield insists the uncertainty is not having an impact on the squad.

He said: "There has been a bit of banter in the dressing-room about the five contract 'rebels' but the situation has not affected morale in any way.

"Every individual knows what he is looking for."

The former Dundee and Dunfermline goalkeeper has Motherwell to contend with before completing his new deal.

He expects a busy afternoon at Fir Park today and said: "The three games over the next week will be crucial in shaping our season but everyone is looking forward to the challenge.

"Motherwell's players are virtually the same as before but it's down to their manager that they are looking fitter, sharper and being more attack-minded with three up front.

"Motherwell used to have small, nippy strikers but John Porter has brought a bigger, physical presence. We have to be aware of that but I'm sure we can cope with him."

• 2 weeks later...

I think Langfield is relishing the opportunity Aberdeen provide now.

I always see these guys who come in for a year or 2 then their agent tries to move them to a "bigger club" in the Championship or League 1.

Robbie Winters was a classic example of it.  BAD advice from his agent!

Glad JL wants to see Aberdeen become the true 3rd power in Scotland.