Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New version of The European Song on the cards?

"With Miller, and Mackie, and Foster too...."?

DONS PLAYERS MAY GET TO SHOW OFF THEIR PERFECT PITCH

08:50 - 13 December 2007

The Aberdeen squad could turn their attention from the pitch to the recording studio if they can defeat Copenhagen at Pittodrie next week.

The Dons have been approached about the prospect of releasing an updated version of The European Song to mark this season's Uefa Cup adventure.

Victory against the Danish club on Thursday will take Jimmy Calderwood's team through to the knockout stages of the competition.

Potential opponents include Hamburg, Villarreal, Everton and Spurs, with the ties scheduled to be played in February.

Harry Barry, who wrote and recorded the original track for the 1983 European Cup Winners' Cup final against Real Madrid, is poised to re-issue the song in time for the next round and has approached the club.

All 55,000 copies of The European Song were snapped up in 1983.

Barry said: "I'm sure it would have sold 155,000 if the extra copies had been available.

"There seems to be a real passion for European football again among the Aberdeen supporters and I'm sure the song would be well received.

"I've lost count of the times I've been asked to release it again by fans and, with the 25th anniversary of Gothenburg approaching and the club going well again in Europe, this would be a good time to do it."

The Coatbridge-based musician and composer, still performing with The Big Elastic Band and also in the process of writing his own musical, would be prepared to work to a tight deadline. He said: "If there was support for the idea, the whole project could be completed within three weeks.

"Obviously the club's input would be important and it would be good to involve different samples or perhaps the players if they were keen.

"The lyric that was released in 1983 was slightly different from my original version and I have ideas about how it could be adapted for this season."

The Dons have had initial talks with Barry about his plans.

Spokesman Dave Macdermid said: "Obviously we're keen to speak about it in more depth - but first we have to get the Copenhagen game taken care of. We wouldn't want to tempt fate by planning any further ahead than that."

Aberdeen's bid to reach the final 32 of the Uefa Cup will have vocal backing of a different kind after it was confirmed the Copenhagen tie is close to a sell-out.

The remaining seats for the game are expected to be snapped up today and 21,000 will attend on Thursday.

The club has announced tickets for the away games at Falkirk in the Scottish Cup on January 12, and Dundee United in the league on January 19, will go on sale to season ticket holders and shareholder on Monday, December 17.

Remaining tickets will go on sale on December 27.

Need a new song. European Song belongs to the Gothenburg Greats. The new guys don't deserve to lace the boots of the Gothenburg team, and as such should get their own song ... nae a reworded version of the original classic.

I mean ... "Maguire and Miller, and Seve too..." these three dinnae deserve to be used in the same context as McLeish, Miller and Strachan.

Need a new song. European Song belongs to the Gothenburg Greats. The new guys don't deserve to lace the boots of the Gothenburg team, and as such should get their own song ... nae a reworded version of the original classic.

:clap:

And there it should remain, and certainly not be re-worked

yes because john barnes was fantastic wasn't he?

You’ve got to hold and give

But do it at the right time

You can be slow or fast

But you must get to the line

They’ll always hit you and hurt you

Defend and attack

Theres only one way to beat them

Get round the back

Catch me if you can

Cos’ I’m the England man

And what you’re looking at

Is the master plan

We ain’t no hooligans

This ain’t a football song

Three lions on my chest

I know we can’t go wrong

Magic almost as good as that one Robbie Williams did recently.

Seriously though, how did he get on in that dancing program coz everyone knows black people can dance as well.