Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Dons v Groningen

I thought it was a very good game, they are a decent team but perhaps came playing for a draw hoping to sneak a goal.  We played well, after an initially good start from Groningen we got into the game in the second half of the first half and the first 20 minutes of the second half.  Some good performances, particularly Flood and Pawlett in the first half.  Goodwillie came on with 15 to go but didn't see much of the ball, where as I thought he might rape their defence  :eek:

Got to fear for us in the second leg though, I reckon they are capable of raising their game.

The Grongingen fans were quite lively and added to the atmosphere.  Did it kick off in town?  I've never seen so many Polis after a game in many years.  Passed about 20 Mariahs near Pittodrie on my way home, and there were plain clothed Dutch cops at the game.

The away goal rule makes 0-0 at home a good result.

[/quote

Ah shit, of course it does. Thanks baggy, I hadn't realised........

Sarcasm aside this is why it needs scrapped. It was brought in in the 60's to encourage away teams to attack more in Euro games, back then very few away teams would and just sit in. The problem has now reversed and home teams sit in for fear of conceding.

Thought we played well in first 2/3 of the field but seemed to run out of ideas as soon as we got into final third. As with end of last season we do not seem able to breakdown a team that is sitting in. Not helped last night by some turely awful set piece delivery into the box. Still 0-0 at home is a decent result and got to think we will get more space as Groningen will surely have to attack more at home. Think we are still in with a good chance of qualifying especially if we can get the first goal.

I thought it was a very good game, they are a decent team but perhaps came playing for a draw hoping to sneak a goal.  We played well, after an initially good start from Groningen we got into the game in the second half of the first half and the first 20 minutes of the second half.  Some good performances, particularly Flood and Pawlett in the first half.  Goodwillie came on with 15 to go but didn't see much of the ball, where as I thought he might rape their defence  :eek:

Got to fear for us in the second leg though, I reckon they are capable of raising their game.

The Grongingen fans were quite lively and added to the atmosphere.  Did it kick off in town?  I've never seen so many Polis after a game in many years.  Passed about 20 Mariahs near Pittodrie on my way home, and there were plain clothed Dutch cops at the game.

Indeed but we definitely are as well.

I thought we played quite well last night and we could have easily have come away with a win, just a little unfortunate that our final ball seemed to be lacking last night.

Obviously a tough away to come in Holland next week but I fully believe that we can score against them and push for the result.