Zeli Ismail signs on loan

WOLVES winger Zeli Ismail today signed for the Dons on a five-month loan deal.

The 20-year-old – who was once dubbed Britain’s first £100million wonderkid – put pen to paper with the Pittodrie club.

Wolves boss Kenny Jackett believes the Dons’ Europa League adventure was a key factor in his decision to send him north of the border.

He said: “Aberdeen have come in and they want to take him on loan until Christmas.

“They play next week and if they can get him registered today then he has a chance of being involved in the Europa League, where they play FC Groningen in the next round.

“I think it’s an exciting one – there’s something like 14,000 season ticket holders there and out of their last 10 games last season, seven of them were live on TV.

“They’re in the Europa League and they have the games against Celtic, for which they will be watched by fantastic attendances.

“So it’s a really good opportunity I think and it does seem like they’re very keen on him which is good from a player’s point of view.

“No disrespect to Scotland but there are different types of club even in that league, but I’d suggest Aberdeen with the attendances they can generate and the size of the games they have coming up it will be a very good experience for him.

“It’s very positive there – they finished third, they were very unlucky not to finish second when they got pipped on the last day.

“But they’re one of the strongest teams in Scotland."

Jackett says Aberdeen have tracking the former Burton Albion loanee for quite some time.

Talks reached an advanced stage last night after Ismail became aware of Aberdeen’s interest in him.

Dons boss Derek McInnes said he was looking to bring in one more player to bolster his squad.

Jackett said: “Kevin Thelwell (head of football development at Wolves) has been talking to Zeli about it and we’re open as a club to discussions and it sounds like an interesting proposition.

“They came in very strongly and very enthusiastically for Zeli.

“They’ve seen him play for our Under-21s and at Burton on loan.

“It was a guy called Russ Richardson (Aberdeen head of recruitment) is the particular scout who’s seen all the games he’s played and Derek McInnes is of course aware of him as well.”

Welcome aboard, very short deal though.

Brilliant news, bizarre length of loan though, is someone available in Jan that we don't know about?

Welcome aboard, hope it's good for all involved!  :thumbsup:

You're completely right though BigAl, we fucked about so much before.  We are a professional club these days.  Good to see.

Brilliant news, bizarre length of loan though, is someone available in Jan that we don't know about?

Shinnie out of contract next summer so possibly in a stronger position to get him then.  Move Hayes forward again once we have a solid proper left back?

Obviously I'd prefer getting in a left back now but I'm not as confident that'll happen after reading the quotes in the sun (I know...) yesterday about Hayes being told he'll likely be used at left back this season.

400 odd miles north to 'another country' for 5 months or 60miles north east to another county for 5 months?

If it was a permanent move perhaps but for 5months?

I can easily see why he wouldn't come north and labelling him a fud for it is a bit unfair id say.

Plus personally unless we take a 4 goal lead back to Holland I'm keeping my mouth shut about the whole 'european football' malarky

400 odd miles north to 'another country' for 5 months or 60miles north east to another county for 5 months?

I can easily see why he wouldn't come north and labelling him a fud for it is a bit unfair id say.

Plus personally unless we take a 4 goal lead back to Holland I'm keeping my mouth shut about the whole 'european football' malarky

Oh i'm definitely not using the european football as bait.  I think we'll probably get knocked out by Groningen (tin hat on).  All valid points, but just would have thought it might be a decent change for his career.  Bit disappointed.

Regardless, Mr Widdows, he's still, clearly. a moronic fud for torning down a chance to play for the "famous". Did he not see what a few seasons did for Mr Windass?