Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

JC tells Lee Miller to play better

I tend to agree with JC's assessment of Miller's performance on Saturday.

JUMP TO IT, LEE!

12:00 - 12 December 2007

Dons top scorer Lee Miller was today warned to pull his socks up if he wants to stay in the team.

Miller scored once, won a penalty and was named sponsors' man of the match in their 2-1 win over Kilmarnock at the weekend. He will also be offered a new contract by the Dons this week.

But that wasn't enough to save the striker from the wrath of manager Jimmy Calderwood, who believes Miller actually underperformed against the Ayshire men.

Calderwood said: "The sponsors gave Lee man of the match - but he certainly wasn't mine.

"He has played very well in recent weeks, but was nowhere as good against Kilmarnock.

"I told Lee that to his face right at the end of the match.

"I accept he had a major influence on the result because he won our penalty and scored the winning goal.

"But his hold-up play and lay-offs weren't nearly good enough.

"It meant Chris Maguire didn't get as good a chance to shine and I had to eventually take him off.

"Hopefully Lee will get his standards back up again for the trip to Motherwell because that's now a massive game, the top one of the weekend in the SPL.

"If we win that one we will be right back in the hunt for third place, but we need every player to perform to his peak capabilities if that is to happen."

Calderwood, who is currently in England scouting possible new signings, has horrendous injury problems for the trip to Fir Park.

Michael Hart, Karim Touzani, Darren Mackie, Jackie McNamara and Jamie Smith are all expected to miss the game.

Zander Diamond and Jeffery de Visscher are also major doubts.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee rejected Aberdeen's request to postpone the match to allow their injured players time to recover for next week's UEFA Cup clash with FC Copenhagen.

But Calderwood is sure the players he has left can overcome their problems and shock the Steelmen.

"We shown over the last two weeks we have the character to do it," he said.

"We've went a goal down against Hibs and Kilmarnock, yet still managed to battle back and grab victories.

"We will need the same sort of grit and determination to take anything off Motherwell, who have been magnificent so far this season."

What the fuck is slating him in public going to achieve??  Be magic if it knocks his confidence before Copenhagen; JC, a man-manager you most certainly are not.  :hammer:

Do you think Miller comes across as someone who is short of confidence or someone who's head swells quite easily?

Just sounds like JC has said to him "aye yer good, but yer nae that good".

Guest Shabba Ranks

Do you think Miller comes across as someone who is short of confidence or someone who's head swells quite easily?

:thumbsup:

I remember a certain Jose Mourinho shouting Joe Cole across after he'd scored for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, not to congratulate him, but to berate him for playing badly and losing the ball. The look on Cole's face was classic. It was a very public showing as Mourinho knew full well that the cameras were trained on them.

Cole went on to get Man of the Match, and turn in a number of performances the weeks after.

Or, in other words, "go on then, prove me wrong..." Normally, i'm not really one to praise Jimmy's meeja interaction, but i think he's done most things right this week. Miller's set some good standards this season, and this should maybe ensure he keeps to them.

Or, in other words, "go on then, prove me wrong..." Normally, i'm not really one to praise Jimmy's meeja interaction, but i think he's done most things right this week. Miller's set some good standards this season, and this should maybe ensure he keeps to them.

There's a time and a place for that course of action, but surely not with one of our best players who's just hit form. Maybe if it was used a long time ago with the likes of Clark or Severin it would have been necessary.

There's a time and a place for that course of action, but surely not with one of our best players who's just hit form. Maybe if it was used a long time ago with the likes of Clark or Severin it would have been necessary.

I dunno, I reckon this may be the way to get him to continue his good form. He has slaughtered guys in the past. Seve got dropped, that's pretty public, though didn't come right out and slam him for under-performing I suppose.

It may be that this works, it's a little bit unfair to slag his man-management skills without knowing just how Miller operates, having met the guy, this might just be the way to ensure he keeps his good form of late going. Seems to me to get affy fond of himself quickly.

Maybe.

But then you're not the manager and if like you suggest he's just mouthing off for the sake of it then he'd have done it to the whole squad and not just a select few.

Personally Miller looks like he's the type that needs to be reminded to keep his feet on the ground and work hard (wasn't too long ago he was being lambasted for strutting around the park producing fuck all).  Seve on the otherhand seems to be fairly quiet and looks like he could be a wee sulk if someone had a pop.  Clark, well, he'd probably greet.

Let's just see how he responds before yet another pop at the manager because if he can't tell the players they're not performing, then who can?

Maybe.

But then you're not the manager and if like you suggest he's just mouthing off for the sake of it then he'd have done it to the whole squad and not just a select few.

Personally Miller looks like he's the type that needs to be reminded to keep his feet on the ground and work hard (wasn't too long ago he was being lambasted for strutting around the park producing fuck all).  Seve on the otherhand seems to be fairly quiet and looks like he could be a wee sulk if someone had a pop.  Clark, well, he'd probably greet.

Let's just see how he responds before yet another pop at the manager because if he can't tell the players they're not performing, then who can?

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully the lad will do the business in particular against Copenhagen; then Jimmy can mouth off in the press for ever more. Happy days. (potentially)

We've got to remember this all came from the reliable source that is Aberdeen Journals.

Miller probably walked into the dressing room after the game supping his champagne and saying "scored one, set one up and man of the match".  JC then said "aye but your set-up play was shite".

It's hardly a dressing room kiss and tell or a Roy Keane type moment of madness.  Miller will have been called a lot worse and by his own fans.

We've got to remember this all came from the reliable source that is Aberdeen Journals.

Miller probably walked into the dressing room after the game supping his champagne and saying "scored one, set one up and man of the match".   JC then said "aye but your set-up play was shite".

It's hardly a dressing room kiss and tell or a Roy Keane type moment of madness.  Miller will have been called a lot worse and by his own fans.

Why didn't you just explain it like that in the first place!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What the fuck is slating him in public going to achieve??  Be magic if it knocks his confidence before Copenhagen; JC, a man-manager you most certainly are not.  :hammer:

Didn't Fergie rip the entire team after the biggest win in club history?  The one that sent us to Gothenburg?

OK JC was pointing at 1 guybut it still has the same feel to me.