Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen’s Denburn earmarked for retail plans

mizer

COUNCIL planners have earmarked space in Aberdeen city centre for a massive retail expansion.

Aberdeen City Council planning chiefs have put forward proposals to set aside 20,000sqm of land at Denburn for retail development.

Another 13,500sqm has been identified in areas around Union Street and George Street.

If the Denburn business zone is adopted, it would include both Denburn Car Park and Grade A-listed Woolmanhill Hospital.

Any future development would have to take these buildings into consideration.

May as well close every shop on Union street......

May as well close every shop on Union street......

Indeed.  They need to invest in Union Street, far too many closed shops.  Denburn is not far away but why can't whoever is penciled in for Denburn, move into Union Steet!?

I doubt these clowns will get voted back in at the next local elections.

It always amazes me this fascination Aberdeen council has with retail.

The horrible truth is that in the UK there are only certain cities the big retailers are prepared to really go to and in Scotland that is now only Glasgow & Edinbugh.

Think they really need to stop the weekly viewing of 'Field of Dreams'

It always amazes me this fascination Aberdeen council has with retail.

The horrible truth is that in the UK there are only certain cities the big retailers are prepared to really go to and in Scotland that is now only Glasgow & Edinbugh.

Think they really need to stop the weekly viewing of 'Field of Dreams'

Apart from IKEA what big retailers are you referring to?

Any that aren't on the brink of folding or seriously downsizing to just large warehouses to adapt to online shopping.

Aberdeen is too small for multiple stores by retailers such as M & S, John Lewis, Debenhams etc and the fashion chains like Hugo Boss, Harvey Nicks etc stop as soon as they see signs for Stirling.

Now of course they could be building lots of small- medium units and offering them at really cheap rents to encourage new local businesses to boom in the granite city.....no?

Any that aren't on the brink of folding or seriously downsizing to just large warehouses to adapt to online shopping.

Aberdeen is too small for multiple stores by retailers such as M & S, John Lewis, Debenhams etc and the fashion chains like Hugo Boss, Harvey Nicks etc stop as soon as they see signs for Stirling.

Now of course they could be building lots of small- medium units and offering them at really cheap rents to encourage new local businesses to boom in the granite city.....no?

Don't know about Debenhams because I know very little about them in general. But M & S have a store in Aberdeen, Inverurie and Westhill so I'd be suprised if they are doing poorly. Also with John Lewis I have heard that the store in Aberdeen is one of there best in the UK and it always seems busy but that's just hearsay so meh. There is also a Hugo Boss store in Aberdeen or there was when ever I was in union street during the day time. I only go to union street to get pissed and, hopefully, for trophy parades.

Don't know about Debenhams because I know very little about them in general. But M & S have a store in Aberdeen, Inverurie and Westhill so I'd be suprised if they are doing poorly. Also with John Lewis I have heard that the store in Aberdeen is one of there best in the UK and it always seems busy but that's just hearsay so meh. There is also a Hugo Boss store in Aberdeen or there was when ever I was in union street during the day time. I only go to union street to get pissed and, hopefully, for trophy parades.

M&S in inverurie and westhill are their 'simply food' stores are they not? Plus both are 'Aberdeenshire' council not 'Aberdeen City' Council.

If the council are banking on all these new retail units being filled with small foodstores like sainsburys local, tesco express etc then Aberdeen really is doomed.

I stand corrected on the hugo boss as it is in the Union square centre but given mates from aberdeen keep mentioning Union square's operators removing or seriously discounted certain charges for the first few years to attract retailers to take up the units and intend to start charging them fairly soon (or rather have to or the mall will be in real trouble) I'd keep an eye on how many units start becoming vacant in the next year.

My point is that John Lewis is not going to shift or open another branch in a town the size of Aberdeen. M & S are not going to open another one of their department stores either.

What Union street or mall retailer is going to shift to Denburn? Is this going to be another Kittybrewster where people will line up to buy PCs, DIY equipment, Play Bingo, while waiting for their new sofa order to come through?

Sweep union street under the carpet and keep building seems to be the key to Aberdeen city council