Iconic mountain bike to be raffled

http://www.afcheritage.org/main.cfm?CFID=4668359&CFTOKEN=18907192

1995-stephen-glass-mom-bike.jpg

As the Dons prepare to contest the League Cup Final against Inverness Caley Thistle at Celtic Park, supporters who were around at the time of Aberdeen's last success in that competition will recall the somewhat bizarre prize awarded to the sponsor's man of the match on the day, midfielder Stephen Glass - the famous, or should that be, infamous Coca-Cola Mountain Bike!

Now, almost 19 years later, the most photographed bike in the history of AFC, is going to be raffled with the proceeds going to the Pittodrie Youth Development team, as Stephen, now residing in the US and coaching the under 14 and under 16 teams at the North Carolina Alliance Academy, explains:

"I still get asked about the bike and what happened to it. It's actually at my in-laws and Jack, my father in law, keeps it in pristine condition. Having come through the Pittodrie youth system myself, I wanted to put something back into the club, particularly as I'm now involved in that area, and donating the bike seemed the obvious choice, particularly with the impending cup final."

Stephen's father in law and former Pittodrie season ticket holder Jack McCombie has kept the bike at his house in Montrose since 1995. "I've been round the block on it maybe two or three times and it's been cleaned regularly so it's looking good. It's an important piece of the Club's history and I'm sure interest in the raffle will be significant."

AFC Head of Youth Development Neil Simpson is confident that supporters will be eager to get their hands on such an iconic vehicle. "It's a fantastic gesture by Stephen and Jack and really appreciated. The picture of Stephen being given the bike in the soaking rain at Hampden is one of the most memorable images of that day and it's a real opportunity for someone to own something that was very much part of that occasion! Everyone who buys a ticket will also be helping to invest in the future of AFC and that can only be a positive."

The raffle for the unique bicycle, which is being undertaken in conjunction with the AFC Heritage Trust, will be limited to 5000 tickets at £5 each which can be purchased via this website using the PayPal "Donate" button below, where we can store your contact details and allocate a unique number to each "ticket" purchased. Alternatively, numbers can be purchased at Aberdeen Football Club, at the Club Shop or Club Reception on Pittodrie Street, ensuring that those buying leave their contact details.

The draw for the raffle will be made at Pittodrie Stadium at 12 noon on Friday 14th March 2014 with details of the winner published on the Club website that afternoon.