Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

McGinn: I signed for Dons for games like this

NIALL McGinn today claimed Aberdeen FC’s League Cup semi-final clash proves he was right to sign an extended Pittodrie deal.

The Dons go head to head with St Johnstone at Tynecastle on Saturday in a bid to reach a final for the first time since 2000.

Northern Ireland cap McGinn’s initial Dons contract was due to expire at the end of this season.

Such was his faith in boss Derek McInnes’ vision for the future he signed a two-year extension at the end of last term, until 2016.

That deal was signed when the Dons had finished in the bottom six for the fourth successive year.

But McGinn’s leap of faith has paid off with Aberdeen second in the Premiership and still fighting in both cup competitions.

He said: “I came to Aberdeen and also signed the new deal because I want to play in big games like semi-finals and finals.

“Aberdeen are a very ambitious club with a fantastic fanbase and great history. I want to play in big cup games and compete high up in the league table with them.

“I am delighted with the way things are going.

“We have massive games coming up, starting with St Johnstone, so it is a very important period for the club.

“But these big games are the reason I came to Aberdeen and I am going to thrive in them.”