Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Roof for Aberdeen city centre

mizer

_72551443_aberdeenroofhalliday.jpg

An architect has revealed new proposals for Aberdeen city centre which include a roof over part of Union Street.

John Halliday said covering over part of the main thoroughfare, between Union Bridge and Market Street, would provide weatherproof links between shopping centres.

It is in addition to his proposal for partially raising Union Terrace Gardens.

The city council is currently working on a masterplan.

Mr Halliday said it was essential Aberdeen did something to revitalise itself.

Fuck me Andrew min. Moan moan moan!

I actually quite like this idea. Although I've only ever seen it in warmer places (Madrid and Orlando spring to mind) but surely a roof is a good thing when you have weather as unpredictable as ours? I'm sure ST will be along shortly to give this his full backing.  :thumbsup:

A roof doesn't mean more shitey generic chain restaurants will necessarily open. I hope. Don't see why it would.

I need to stop being some grumpy - I think your right!

A roof doesn't mean more shitey generic chain restaurants will necessarily open. I hope. Don't see why it would.

I was just thinking in the sense that now people wouldn't even have to go outside to go to their soulless chain restaurants. I have no idea what the attraction of union square is to eat out in.

But pedestrianising union street is the easiest, fairly cheap way of getting life back in the city centre.

I actually quite like this idea. Although I've only ever seen it in warmer places (Madrid and Orlando spring to mind) but surely a roof is a good thing when you have weather as unpredictable as ours? I'm sure ST will be along shortly to give this his full backing.  :thumbsup:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A BIKE!!  ;D

I've been saying "stick a roof over" it for years.

ST full backing granted.  :thumbsup:

Completely agree, looks like a great idea, that has no chance of happening. Regrettably.

• 1 year later...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/691383/plans-200million-expansion-union-square-go-show-public/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Union-Square-extension-660x496.jpg

Plans for a £200million expansion of Aberdeen’s flagship Union Square shopping centre will go on public display from tomorrow.

An exhibition on the proposed extension – which would include an Imax cinema, hotel and multistorey car park – will be held at the centre over the weekend.

Hammerson, the owner of the site, unveiled the scheme last month and is expected to lodge a planning application for the development towards the end of the year.

General manager Ryan Manson said: “It is our aim to continue to provide high-quality leisure and retail space, delivering an exceptional visitor experience for our customers, in line with the aspirations of the city and its residents.

“The 300,000sq ft extension proposed on the site of our current surface car park represents a unique opportunity to significantly enhance Union Square’s retail and leisure offer that will provide real and tangible benefits for our customers and the city going forward.”

The developer hopes to start work on the extension by early 2017, with completion pencilled in for spring 2019.

A total of £200million of investment has been earmarked for the scheme, with 1,000 construction jobs and 1,000 retail jobs expected to be created.

Aberdeen City Council leader Jenny Laing said: “The fact that these expansion plans from the Union Square operators have come forward shows there remains great confidence in the retail and leisure sector in Aberdeen city centre.

“I would encourage as many people as possible to attend the consultation events and have their say on the proposals before they are considered by the city council.”

The public will be able to fill out questionnaires at the centre tomorrow and Saturday, while a consultation website will go live as well.

The existing 700,000sq ft centre opened in 2009 after being built at a cost of £275million.

Mr Manson said: “What I would like to highlight is that the proposals are at an early stage, and it is important to us that the people of Aberdeen and the wider community have an opportunity to help inform the design process.

“I would encourage anyone with an interest in the proposals to come along to one of our public exhibitions to hear about the plans in more detail and importantly provide us with your feedback.”

Great news! Aberdeen is crying out for more shopping centres, hotels and cinemas. Hopefully more shops move to union square so there can be more charity shop, bookies and shit clubs on union street.

Glad to see, even after a year and half you're still as grumpy about city centre development ;)

Not that I disagree though, not what Aberdeen needs. More piecemeal commercial development.

Great news! Aberdeen is crying out for more shopping centres, hotels and cinemas. Hopefully more shops move to union square so there can be more charity shop, bookies and shit clubs on union street.

Haha  ;D I do agree with you to be honest. I think an extension to Union Square is the last thing we need.