Bale not a patch on Peter Weir

Aberdeen FC hero Jim Bett insists Peter Weir and Davie Cooper were better than Gareth Bale

Ex-Scotland international slams £85m price tag for Welshman

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 03/09/2013

FORMER Aberdeen FC hero Jim Bett believes Peter Weir and Davie Cooper were better than £85million man Gareth Bale.

The longest transfer saga of the summer was finally concluded when Welsh winger Bale completed his move from Spurs to Spanish giants Real Madrid.

Bett accepts Bale is the best footballer to emerge from Wales since Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs.

But he reckons the 24-year-old still isn’t half the winger two of his former team-mates were at their peak – Peter Weir and Davie Cooper.

Bett played with Cooper with Rangers and alongside Weir at Pittodrie.

He said: “If he’s worth £80m I couldn’t even start to place a price on the heads of Davie and Peter if they were at their peak now and available for transfer.”

Agreed.

Davie Cooper was brilliant.

I agree he could be brilliant, but but I'm with Bobby on this one, he was not consistantly week in week out.

The ability of Davie Cooper is one of these urban myths peddled by Der Hun that will have you believe he was a out and out world beater, and unless my memory is totally fucked then he wasn't.

Brilliant in flashes, decent most of the time, decidedly average other times

Not Bale's fault that a rich club paid a whack for him.

Gareth Bale is a tremendous footballer. He has proved this over and over again. He is coming into his peak years. It's understandable that he was hot property. I can't think of one EPL player that would attract a greater value in the transfer market.

Much as Weir and Cooper were excellent footballers too, I can't even understand the comparison with Bale. Not only do I fail to get the point of Jim Bett's comments, I don't even see Bale being deployed as an out and out winger although time will tell as regards what Real have planned for him.

Now Jim Bett, there's a footballer. There has never been a better midfielder at AFC since him, nobody even close.

Now Jim Bett, there's a footballer. There has never been a better midfielder at AFC since him, nobody even close.

And yet there are those who were very vocal in their criticisms of him at the time - mostly to do with his demeanour, perceived laziness at times. But if you mention that these days Dons fans deny this ever happened. The Northern Light and possibly The Red Final were also quite critical of him... and there were games he quite blatantly just couldn't be arsed in.

Totally agree with the Bale comments, there's no comparison with Cooper and Weir (tremendous though they were). Bale has a turn of speed and an absolutely wicked shot in him, better than either of the other two had in my opinion. His talents can be deployed with devastating effect from any position on the park.

Bett was amazing, only one who even came close to that standard was Severin when he was at his very best.

Gareth Bale is a tremendous footballer. He has proved this over and over again. He is coming into his peak years. It's understandable that he was hot property. I can't think of one EPL player that would attract a greater value in the transfer market.

Much as Weir and Cooper were excellent footballers too, I can't even understand the comparison with Bale. Not only do I fail to get the point of Jim Bett's comments, I don't even see Bale being deployed as an out and out winger although time will tell as regards what Real have planned for him.

Yes to all of this.

Seve was probably the guy who got closest and aye BB, I remember fine the criticism of Bett. Most of the time headbangingly annoying.

Possibly it's due to becoming more of an ingrained alchy but I'm finding agreeing with the rocket more agreeable.

Either that or someone has hacked his account.

I really want to agree with Bobby though.

There is no way the rocket is making (however slight) more sense, is there?

Fuck me min. Agree or disagree with the post, not the poster.

Why introduce the personal to an impersonal virtual environment? Are you nuts? You need me to teach you how to think.

Fucking bastarding verminously grotesque weegie (possibly) piece of shit. There. Nae cunt hacked into my account to say that.