Aberdeen looking after their own backyard

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3290545

The Dons will take a parochial view to ensuring they secure the best local young talent.

The club is ringing the changes to its youth set up at Pittodrie after a review.

Historically, the Dons have operated coaching centres in the central belt and in Edinburgh, neglecting their own territory in the process. But by narrowing their outlook and scope of their scouting network executive vice-chairman George Yule believes instances of leading lights being attracted away from the Granite City will decrease substantially.

This was in the minutes from the DST meeting I posted last wk, nice to see Aberdeen Journals (and Mizer) on the ball as ever.

Seems a pretty poor money saving decision to me.  They have a pretty decent presence in the North East as it is and surely benefit greatly from the Central Belt set up.  Not sure how narrowing our scouting can be anything but detrimental.

Kind of agree with Kowalski's comments.

Going back over the years Aberdeen were seen as one of the ideal clubs for young lads to go to and enjoyed a reputation of attracting and looking after young players from the central belt. Whilst i'm all in favour of doing all we can to get the North East's best talent, I'd have prefered that we just go about it quietly and not make sweeping statements such as this.

I'm beginning to get a bit uneasy with this fella Yule.

This just smacks of the pish that stopped us producing decent talent a decade or so back as Kow says.

We should not reducing our investment in youth development, we should be increasing it. Fucking nonsensical approach.

Completely. And it's not just about the youth, the whole scouting "network" seems to be only looking in the same places time and again. Maybe that isn't accurate, but it certainly seems the case from the outside.

Said on the original thread I thought this was a backwards step and still think the case. Scotland is a small country so cannot see why the Dons should not be looking to attract the best talent available form all over Scotland. Sounds a bit like trying to create a local club for local people.

Have our recent youngsters not pretty much all come through the dons youth set up anyway?

struggling to think of a central belt player after zander/bebo that's done anything in the first team, and neither of them had any interest in staying NE.

It's a good decision if they really make a go of it.

Have our recent youngsters not pretty much all come through the dons youth set up anyway?

struggling to think of a central belt player after zander/bebo that's done anything in the first team, and neither of them had any interest in staying NE.

It's a good decision if they really make a go of it.

North East lads Fraser and Fyvie got out even quicker.

• 1 month later...
Simpson praises Aberdeen FC’s new network of talent scouts

‘We have 50 pairs of eyes working for us’

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 07/08/2013

NEIL Simpson today claimed Aberdeen FC’s revamped youth scouting system will ensure no top talents escape their net.

Aberdeen FC have made radical changes to the way they hunt for the best young players.

Last season they had three part-time scouts working on their behalf watching schools and youth matches throughout the North-east. Now they have 10 scouts, each with five contacts of their own, monitoring players from Angus to Moray every weekend.