Next season

Now that we know who's going and who's staying, which positions do we need to sort out?

I make this the strongest starting 11 for next season.

Langfield

Shaughnessy Anderson Reynolds Robertson

Pawlett Jack Clark( ???) Hayes

Vernon McGinn

Unless I'm missing someone I can't think of another centre mid apart from maybe Nicky Low.

From that I think left back and centre mid are the main priorities with a goalkeeper the next thing we need to sort out.

Sooo.....you mean someone like ozzy then jute? agreed though, it is one lightweight looking midfield. I'm still not convinced by pawlett buy hopefully this IS his season (finally).

Only problem with Osbourne was him only being fit for 10 or so games a season.

In truth we need a lot more than 5 or 6 or we're fucked as soon as the long term injuries inevitable kick in  :(

You're forgetting about Chris Clark's long anticipated return to fitness being like a new signing.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured this would be as good a place as any to post the rumours.

Dons looking at a loan deal for Goodwillie although facing competion from Hearts, Dundee United and Championships clubs.

McInnes competing with Motherwell to sign Hun Gregg Wylde. I'd be lying if I said I knew if he was a good player or not.

Figured this would be as good a place as any to post the rumours.

Dons looking at a loan deal for Goodwillie although facing competion from Hearts, Dundee United and Championships clubs.

McInnes competing with Motherwell to sign Hun Gregg Wylde. I'd be lying if I said I knew if he was a good player or not.

Even being linked with Goodwillie is an encouraging sign. A bit of ambition from AFC for a change. No doubt there will be plenty of offers, much better than AFC's so doubt that we will actually get him though.

Hopefully Griffiths at Hibs has done clubs like us a favour in terms of attracting good loan players. Not interested in the rapist though. Like I said in the other thread, someone to get the ball into Vernon 3 feet from goal would get us plenty goals. We need goals but that doesn't mean it's a striker we need necessarily.

Hopefully Griffiths at Hibs has done clubs like us a favour in terms of attracting good loan players. Not interested in the rapist though. Like I said in the other thread, someone to get the ball into Vernon 3 feet from goal would get us plenty goals. We need goals but that doesn't mean it's a striker we need necessarily.

I think service is what we lacked for Vernon last season.  Whilst I didn't rate Bebo much as a player or person, him and Vernon had some understanding 2 seasons ago.  Vernon scored a lot of "ugly" goals then, I don't think we need another poacher style striker.

• 3 weeks later...

Aberdeen: Derek McInnes demands Dons to up the ante

Manager Derek McInnes is emphatic in his belief that it will take hard graft from everyone at Aberdeen to re-claim their 'big club' status.

The 41-year-old is preparing for his first full season as boss at Pittodrie, having succeeded Craig Brown in March.

"I don't think Aberdeen have worked hard enough," said McInnes.

"It came to me really clear that for us to get a label of being a big club, possibly the second biggest in the SPL, we've got to work harder."

However, the former Bristol City and St Johnstone boss insisted this was not a slight on any previous management regime.

"There's certain areas of the football side that I know other clubs are working harder in," McInnes told BBC Radio Scotland.

"The football department is made up of all different aspects; from recruitment, sports science, match analysis, training facilities - the lot.

"There's other clubs who are doing their job better than us at the moment, but that'll change and I'd like to think that we'll be the best of the rest in that department as well."

Nine senior players were released at the end of the last Scottish Premier League season and, to date, McInnes has boosted his midfield options by signing Barry Robson and Willo Flood.

Former Burton Albion striker Calvin Zola has also been added while 21-goal forward Niall McGinn and midfielder Ryan Jack, have signed new contracts.

"I'm well aware of the restraints that we have to work under and we've had to act accordingly throughout the close season in terms of moving players on," added McInnes.

"[The] amount of wages [paid to players] coming in will probably be half of what we moved out.

"As a manager you're trying to create optimism and confidence within the support and within your team and I think that's important.

"But at the same time it's tempered by the fact that it's got to be steady progress. There's been too many false dawns for Aberdeen fans.

"Let's try and do something special and get other people looking and saying 'what are they doing at Aberdeen? What are they doing up there? They look bigger, stronger, faster and they're playing with confidence.'

"That, ultimately is where I want us to be."

Continues to say and, apparently do the right things.

But let's get real here, Helen Keller could see that was all very much the case at AFC, just needed someone with genuine backing from the top in the manager's job and with a proper idea of what SHOULD be happening to wake the club the fuck up.

That said, I would much prefer it if McInnes was concerning himself solely wi the first team but whatever it takes to get the job done.

Think he did mention before that we'd have less players, so i assumed we'd be cutting. So long as it doesn't get used as an excuse then fair enough. Also would be really unconvinced about playing a full season with so few fullbacks (1) on the books, so as good as the business has been before we need more.

Still no ball winner to replace ozzie either. Our defence was horrific last year when nobody able to break a move up was playing.

Can't seem to paste it but according to McInnes on the website, apart from taking in a goalkeeper, that's nearly it. Agreed that we could really do with a full-back particularly a left sided one. Hopefully, we can bring someone else in plus a few youngsters stepping up.

Can't seem to paste it but according to McInnes on the website, apart from taking in a goalkeeper, that's nearly it. Agreed that we could really do with a full-back particularly a left sided one. Hopefully, we can bring someone else in plus a few youngsters stepping up.

According to Duncan Fraser that IS it, apart from another keeper.