McGinn nominated for PFA player of the year

Niall McGinn has been nominated along with Leigh Griffiths, Michael Higdon, and Andrew Shinnie for the Cheque Centre PFA Scotland Player of the Year 2013

The nominees for the Cheque Centre PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year 2013 are Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United), Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), and Victor Wanyama (Celtic).

The voting for the Cheque Centre PFA Scotland Player of the Year Awards 2013 has now closed. Footballers from across the four Scottish leagues have cast their votes and the front-runners for the SPL award are Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Michael Higdon (Motherwell), Niall McGinn (Aberdeen) and Andrew Shinnie (Inverness Caledonian Thistle). Last year, Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic) scooped the coveted Player of The Year title.

In the Young Player of The Year category Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United), Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), and Victor Wanyama (Celtic), are all nominated for the award won by Celtic's James Forrest in 2012.

The winners will be announced and presented with their awards at a star-studded dinner at the Hilton Glasgow on Sunday May 5 sponsored by Cheque Centre.

PFA Scotland Chief Executive Fraser Wishart commented: "This is the top award for players. There is no greater honour in football than to be voted the best player in your country by your fellow professionals."

The PFA Player of the Year award has been presented on 35 occasions. The following four Aberdeen players have received the award: Mark McGhee (1980-81), Willie Miller (1983-84), Theo Snelders (1988-89), Jim Bett (1989-90)

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/c/26/0,,10284~11871756,00.jpg[/img]

Niall McGinn was today at Hampden as the four nominees were announced by the PFA for the Player of the Year award 2013. After posing for some photos with three of his fellow nominees he spoke to RedWeb.

"I am delighted that I have been nominated. It is obviously a great achievement for myself and it is extra special that I have been nominated by my fellow professionals. I am looking forward to the awards dinner.

"As I have said before I am really enjoying my football at Aberdeen and when you get nominated for awards like this it shows that things are going well. Long may it continue. The highlights for the season were my first goal for the club, the hat-trick for Motherwell and also my goal for Northern Ireland against Portugal. Three great moments.

Think Higdon will win it.

Don't agree that he should, think he is a big cart horse, but against that you could argue that he has more than done what he is paid do i.e score goals

Wanyama a stick on for the consolation of young player

Lennon has spat the dummy that none of his players were in the top 4

I think it's abysmal. Are people voting for the best or the most improved player in Scotland?    "There's a huge difference in my eyes and that's not taking anything from the candidates that were nominated.

"They have all had fine seasons, but to not have one Celtic player in that group is unbelievable

Lennon has spat the dummy that none of his players were in the top 4

It's voted for by professional players innit? So who is he complaining to exactly?!

Muppet  :hammer:

Why is it OF folks can't just congratulate the rest of Scottish football for doing their best to compete, instead of always giving it the 'my baw' bullsht?!

Gotta say I think McGinn is a good shout for it. To come in as a winger, turned tae striker and as a wee man to get as many goals consistently in what has been a very inconsistent Aberdeen squad (especially 2nd half) is actually remarkable. He has actually managed to polish A turd in what is AFC. Broonys best bit of business.

Would love to have known where we would have finished without his goals :-/ All be it Dundee were terrible and Aberdeen might have found form fae one of our other strikers(I doubt it), but we could really have been struggling.

Well done Niall McGinn, hope you win it!!

• 2 weeks later...