Skip to content

Algeria Terrorism/kidnappings

UK officials are preparing for news of further British casualties after the Algerian military ended a hostage crisis at a desert gas facility.

 

David Cameron warned of possible "bad news" to follow and postponed a speech on Europe due on Friday.

 

The BBC's Nick Robinson said sources had told him officials were prepared for "multiple" British casualties.

 

A number of foreign nationals had been taken hostage near In Amenas. One Briton was confirmed dead on Wednesday.

 

Four foreigners were reportedly freed in Thursday's operation by the Algerian military but others died, the state news agency reported.

 

Algerian state television has reported that two Britons were among four foreigners killed in the operation, but there has been no confirmation of this.

 

Any word if there is North East guys out there? I presume there will be - disna look good any of the Westerners.

Featured Replies

They were saying ont he news this morning that no western embassies / countries were told about the algerian army intervention.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.