McGinn Interview

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20130109/niall-mcginn-interview_2212158_3033739

Before this season only 8 Aberdeen players in the SPL era have reached double figures for Aberdeen in a season - Eoin Jess, Arild Stavrum, Robbie Winters, Scott Booth, Darren Mackie, Chris Maguire, Lee Miller and of course Scott Vernon. With his goal against Dundee United, Niall McGinn took his tally to the season to 15 (14 SPL goals and 1 Scottish Cup goal) and the way he is going there will be a few more to look forward to during the second half of the season. Despite his success the Dons striker is very modest about his success so far.

"Looking back, I have maybe over achieved a little as far as goals go. At the start of the season, I'd have bitten your hand off to have this many. The big thing is what it's done for the club. I know that if I am doing well and scoring goals, that helps the team to do well.

"I am thoroughly enjoying my football, it's probably the most enjoyable spell I have had as a professional player. The big thing for me has been the fact I have been playing week in week out, so I've been playing with a smile on my face.

"It was only a few years ago that I was a full time student before my life suddenly changed. When you are a student, you are running around with three or four different jobs just to pay for your rent and your car and car insurance and the odd night out, so to have a bit of money and to be doing something I love, I fully appreciate it and never take it granted.

"I do feel settled in Aberdeen. It is a nice city and there are a lot of friendly people. All the staff around the club have been first class and we have a great bunch of players here. The gaffer and Archie are top class as well so I have settled in very well. Everyone has made it very easy for me. I am enjoying life and long may it continue.

"Yes the goals have been nice but you just want to do well for the team and hopefully help us stay as high up the league as possible, and the good result against Motherwell in the cup has also given us something to look forward to come the turn of the New Year. That Hibs game is going to be massive. I know the fans are already talking about it and with being on Sky as well, there will be a lot of hype before the game.

"Hopefully, we'll have a lot of injured players back by then. It has been tough in the last month or so with so many players out but it is a time when we have all had to pull together and I feel we have done that, including the fans as well who have continued to give us tremendous backing.

"It has allowed our young players to come in and Joe Shaughnessy is the perfect example of someone who has taken his chance. He has done really well and it just shows you the strength we have with the squad now. Hopefully with the break now, we can get everyone back fit so we can hit the ground running later in the month when we return.

"I am in favour of the winter shutdown. From having played in Scotland before, I know that it is a long season and I think the winter break is going to be of benefit to the players. It gives you the chance to go away and relax for a while and recharge the batteries. For me personally, it will give me the chance to go home and see all my family and friends.

"It was important we did not sign off before the break with a defeat so I was pleased with the goal against Dundee United. Our record at Pittodrie was disappointing in 2012 and it is certainly something we want to improve in 2013.

"It is hard to say why we have struggled at home. You certainly can't fault the desire and the effort of the boys. The one thing I have noticed is how important it is to get the first goal, it's so crucial. It is frustrating as we could have a lot more points if we had won these games, but we have been picking up good points away from home and if we can sort out our home form we will be in a very good position.

"I have not set myself any targets for 2013. The only target I have is to continue to do well for Aberdeen and hopefully, come the end of the season, we can enjoy a bit of success."

DOUBLE FIGURE DONS:

2011-12 Scott Vernon 13

2010-11 Scott Vernon 16 & Chris Maguire 12

2009-10 none

2008-09 Lee Miller 12

2007-08 Lee Miller 13

2006-07 Darren Mackie 13

2005-06 none

2004-05 Darren Mackie 15

2003-04 Scott Booth 10

2002-03 none

2001-02 Robbie Winters 14

2000-01 Arild Stavrum 17 & Robbie Winters 12

1999-00 Arild Stavrum 12

Before this season only 8 Aberdeen players in the SPL era have reached double figures for Aberdeen in a season - Eoin Jess, Arild Stavrum, Robbie Winters, Scott Booth, Darren Mackie, Chris Maguire, Lee Miller and of course Scott Vernon. With his goal against Dundee United, Niall McGinn took his tally to the season to 15 (14 SPL goals and 1 Scottish Cup goal) and the way he is going there will be a few more to look forward to during the second half of the season. Despite his success the Dons striker is very modest about his success so far.