Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Todays EE

1. Darren Mackie is out of the next 2 games. :

ashame his pace may have helped over in spain

2. We are being linked with Steven Thompson and Alan Gow :thumbsup:

i would take both these guys

3. Jimmy is to offer a new contract to his "Mr Reliable" Richie Byrne

total disgrace to offer this idiot a new deal >:D:hammer:::)

discuss

3. Jimmy is to offer a new contract to his "Mr Reliable" Richie Byrne

total disgrace to offer this idiot a new deal >:D:hammer:::)

discuss

But he is reliable. You can always depend on him to be either injured or pish.

Incidentally, if wages allowed, i'd probably take Gow and Thompson. But as they probably won't, i'd rather have Gow than another Miller clone.

Guest dundee_red

1. Double shite news.

2. I thought we'd learned not to highlight our targets although I fully expect it to be made up coming from the EE.

3. Get him tae fuck.

No doubt they'll both end up a tannalice now  ::)

Incidentally, if wages allowed, i'd probably take Gow and Thompson. But as they probably won't, i'd rather have Gow than another Miller clone.

Although by signing another striker it might actually put a rocket up Miller's arse.  I still think Lovell's offski though.

Either way, it must be ringing alarm bells in Maguire's head.

Although by signing another striker it might actually put a rocket up Miller's arse.  I still think Lovell's offski though.

Either way, it must be ringing alarm bells in Maguire's head.

Hadn't thought of that. I'm kind of resigned to losing Lovell without us ever seeing what most of us knew he was really capable of, but Maguire could well have a decent future in the game - if his development's handled in the right way.

Fuck Lovell.

He didn't show what he's got in his locker when he was getting picked more weekends than not and he's not even trying to now he's been sidelined.

Sounds like a greety wee bairn to me.

:clap:

Finally, someone else that agree's that this cunt is just taking up space at Pittodrie.  Get him tae fuck.  He's had tonnes of time to prove himself and has shown next to nothing.

Why I still here chants of 'one Stevie Lovell' is beyond me.

I firmly believe that if Lovell and Miller got more than 3 games in a row up front together, we'd see goals. Lovell's pish as a lone striker. He doesn't work like Mackie and doesn't have the aerial ability/strength of Miller. He can't play alongside Mackie, as Mackie's passing/control/running with the ball is inversely linked to his willingness to run about like a headless chicken. At Dundee, (i thought) he looked good because he was alongside/in front of someone who could hold onto the ball and give him something to run onto and finish.

Having said that, he's never been fit and i can't see that changing for us now. I do think it's time he moved on. Not to any other SPL teams though. If (and it's a big if...) he ever got himself fit, i think he could haunt us.

Firstly, I don't know about the Gow rumour. But the Thompson rumour isn't coming from the EE. It's coming from Cardiff City fans. The EE are running a couple of days behind in this rumour, so I reckon they've thrown the Gow rumour in there to sound like they're still on the ball with getting the rumours out first.

As for Lovell, I too think he'll come back to haunt us. I'd love to see a Lovell/Miller partnership tried for a month-long period, just to see if they click. They are two very talented players ... especially Lovell. When partnered with a striker of the quality of Fabian Caballero, he was awesome and there were very few chances that came his way that he DIDN'T tuck away. His problem is he's currently being given about 9 minutes per game to make a difference. Even then, he's normally teaming up with Darren Mackie, a striker who prefers to work alone or be on the receiving end of quality service. Let's face it, Mackie ain't the sort of player who's gonna be setting up chances for Lovell.

If we're gonna let Lovell go, which we will cos he's clearly nae doing anything for us, then we MUST NOT let him go to another Scottish club. I think he'd take a move back to England firmly with both hands. Time to tout him to the championship sides? Surely Cardiff might be keen on someone like Lovell who would thrive in the slower English game??!!

There's a fair elemant of truth in that, but i just don't think you can replicate a proper matchday situation in training to know for sure.

correctamundo

used to speak to Eric Deloumeaux when he played for us, and apparently Leon Mike was consistently the best player during training, but come 3pm on a Saturday, couldn't get round the fact the world was not flat let alone another player.

There's a fair amount of truth in that as well but a striker should already know where he'd like the ball played or where it would hurt the defence most.

Brewster was superb at that and was always popping up with assists.

I'm going to say something many will most definitely not agree with here. Before i do, let me say my piece and understand this is just my opinion, and everyone's entitled to one. Right, here goes...

I thought Brewster was largely pish for us. I don't think he was anything like as fit as he needed to be, he was too old to be a viable long term option, only had about 4 decent games for us in all his time here and set Miller's career with us back to the extent that he's only rediscovering some kind of form 2 months after he left. One good thing Brewster was though was a communicator. He would talk players through games in a way that nobody on the pitch currently does. I'll give him that.

Now, i'm coming across as some kind of massive bummer of Lee Miller right now - and in general today, come to think of it. I'm not, i think he's really rather limited in what he can do, but i think he does it quite well. Anyway, he's reputedly one of our highest paid players. Why disrupt his progress by bringing in the man who all but sacked him from his last club and branded him unprofessional and a bad influence as he did so?

There, i've said it. I've dug out my flak jacket in anticipation...

There's a fair amount of truth in that as well but a striker should already know where he'd like the ball played or where it would hurt the defence most.

I'm going to say something many will most definitely not agree with here. Before i do, let me say my piece and understand this is just my opinion, and everyone's entitled to one. Right, here goes...

I thought Brewster was largely pish for us. I don't think he was anything like as fit as he needed to be, he was too old to be a viable long term option, only had about 4 decent games for us in all his time here and set Miller's career with us back to the extent that he's only rediscovering some kind of form 2 months after he left. One good thing Brewster was though was a communicator. He would talk players through games in a way that nobody on the pitch currently does. I'll give him that.

Now, i'm coming across as some kind of massive bummer of Lee Miller right now - and in general today, come to think of it. I'm not, i think he's really rather limited in what he can do, but i think he does it quite well. Anyway, he's reputedly one of our highest paid players. Why disrupt his progress by bringing in the man who all but sacked him from his last club and branded him unprofessional and a bad influence as he did so?

Hard to disagree with Brewster's comments re:Miller until he starts showing he's worth the high wages.  Thankfully he's beginning to show a bit of effort at least.

As for Brewster not being good; we obviously see things differently but he left months ago, yet Miller's still only scored one more than him!

Jimmy bigged brewster up too much IMO. scored a few goals but in most games he played he was mince.

i very much agree with your comment about bringing in Brewster in the first place after what happened between him and Miller

I very much doubt he just turned up on the doorstep one morning at training without JC having probably sat them both down to see if there was any disputes.

So far he's not really stuck it to Brewster in a "I'll show you" type attitude.

If he's letting the football do the talking then he should speak up a bit.

I agree with you to an extent. Goals wise Miller's really not done the business, but i think he's in the team to do a lot more linking up and create chances for others and i think he would probably look a lot better if he had either someone up alongside him or people helping out from midfield. Too often he's isolated up front and really doesn't have any kind of pace to hurt teams with. In short, i think he suffers a lot from our style of play.

A fully fit Brewster would have definitely been an asset. But he was plainly nowhere near that last season and i don't think he should have started most of the games he did.

I would agree with most of that assessment with regards to Brewster. The biggest asset he used to effect with us was his communication and example setting. As far as being a prolific striker he had a few good moments, half his goals this season came from an expert clown performance from a hibs keeper. More often that not Brewster looked old, immobile and unfit when he played for us.

I have yet to decide if I think Miller is a waste of skin or not. After our first 6 games I was screaming for him to go but he has scored a few nice goals and worked harder in games. The problem is that we don't appear to ever really play the right type of football for any of our strikers.

Miller - utterly useless at the lone striker yet played in that role regularly, needs a partner with close ball control and a sharp eye (anyone spring to mind ?)

Lovell - needs an agressive, ball winner playing off the strikers to thread him ball on the deck...might be a good partner for Aluko but never gonna happen in the JC 4-1-4-1 set up.

Mackie - seems to like the lone striker option but gets no service from our midfield whenever we play him there

Aluko - Can't play the long ball game, so we employ it when he is playing (see Moscow)

Maguire - simply doesn't get a game

I just wish we would decide on a formation and the right personnel and get used to it.

And when all else fails....

It would be nice to see one of our strikers create their own chances (picking up the ball in midfield and running at people/shooting from outside the box) or score from a set piece (which seems to be left to the job of our defenders).

.....and the moon on a stick would be nice  :-\

Without paying any attention to statistics, in my opinion, the most productive and effective partnership up front I have seen in the last 3 years or so is Steve Lovell and Jamie Smith, both of them have excellent positional skills, and it stands to reason that they're more likely to anticipate each other more than anyone else in the squad.

I think Miller could do a similar job up front with Lovell, but only if we play quick attacking football on the deck. Target man football can be effective, but we just don't have the personnel to make it work. Miller isn't a target man, none of our other strikers suit playing off a target man.

For us to be at our best in an attacking sense either requires us to change our playing style, or change our attacking personnel. Unfortunately, changing to a more 'attractive' playing style would require a massive change of personnel at the back too, and we're nowhere near being able to afford the sort of players with the footballing brain to make it work.

So we're stuck watching cloggers hoof the ball up to slightly built, slightly taller than average strikers with even bigger cloggers thundering against their spine.