Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Contracts

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Craig Brown’s challenge as nine face contract talks with Aberdeen FC

‘Prove you’re worth new deals’

By Sean Wallace

Published: 09/11/2012

CRAIG Brown today warned players who are set to go out of contract they will have to fight for new deals with Aberdeen FC.

Nine Aberdeen FC players have contracts that expire at the end of the season, including skipper Russell Anderson and Scotland caps Gavin Rae and Gary Naysmith.

International caps Rory Fallon (New Zealand), Jason Brown (Wales) and Josh Magennis (Northern Ireland) also have deals that are set to run out.

Isaac Osbourne, Mitch Megginson and Nicky Low (both on loan at Alloa Athletic) have contracts that end in the summer.

I voted for Anderson, Rae, Naysmith, Osbourne, Megginson and Low. I've not seen much of the last two but thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt rather than wanting to dump them!

Anderson, Rae, Naysmith and Osbourne are all important members of, not only the squad as a whole but the first XI. There's no many more players in the SPL that are more experienced than Anderson, Rae and Naysmith. It's not only experience they bring though, it's hardly like they are being carried.

Anderson - has proved a few doubters wrong with his fitness and his form since he's come back and has been an absolute rock at the back.

Rae - has had a very good season IMO. Strong, puts in a shift, box to box and has chipped in with a few goals.

Before his hamstring injury, Naysmith was a vital part of the defence. Great to see a proper left back playing and was playing really well. Hopefully he will soon get up to match fitness and cement his place in the team once more.

Osbourne has quickly become a fans favourite and rightly so. Strong in the tackle, does the simple things well, covers the back four fantastically well and versatile. Great player and it's vital that he signs a new deal. Not afraid to put the boot in either which is always good to have in the team.

Jason Brown - he can fuck off to Timbuktoo as far as I'm concerned. Absolute clown. Hope he never gets a game for AFC again.

Rory Fallon - He's done ok but has never really impressed me. His goal against Hibs in the Semi's last season was phenomenal and the best goal I've seen live but I really don't think he will score week in, week out. Would have been interesting to see if Brown would have dropped Vernon if Fallon was fit but together, they are too similar. Let him go and use his wages wisely. Top bloke though.  :thumbsup:

Josh Magennis - Again he's done ok but the boy is just not a footballer. He's had three different positions in his short career, none of which he has been good at. No doubt, he will provide the odd good performance, odd assist, odd goal etc but is that enough? He probably is a 'good lad' and 'great to have about the place' but based on his football, he should be let go. I wish the boy well if he does go, no hard feelings!

Anderson and Ozzie are absolutely vital. If they went I doubt we'd see their like for many years. Naysmith and Rae are also well worth keeping.

Other than that the only one I went for was Magennis. Mainly because he's surely not on a massive wage and is a useful enough utility player. For us to have a good 1st 11 we could do with a couple other similarly cheap, versatile subs to take the pressure off the yoof.

I'd keep Ozzie, Anderson, Naysmith and Rae purely because I just can't see us signing replacements on their level. The rest are replaceable. Fallon hasn't been good enough when fit. I like Magennis as a full back bombing forward. He's proven useful when we're on the front foot but when asked to defend he makes me shit myself almost as much as Langfield. Mind you I wouldn't let anyone go if we're not going to replace them with better. And we've not got a great track record with replacements. It took us 4 years to replace Anderson. With himself.

So he's not out of contract in the summer? That thread implies he is?

I'd keep Ozzie, Anderson, Naysmith and Rae purely because I just can't see us signing replacements on their level. The rest are replaceable. Fallon hasn't been good enough when fit. I like Magennis as a full back bombing forward. He's proven useful when we're on the front foot but when asked to defend he makes me shit myself almost as much as Langfield. Mind you I wouldn't let anyone go if we're not going to replace them with better. And we've not got a great track record with replacements. It took us 4 years to replace Anderson. With himself.

So he's not out of contract in the summer? That thread implies he is?

Fraser is out of contract next summer i.e. summer 2013