Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Independence - the Union Jack?

Reekie_Red

Okay, so the PM is due to approve the referendum today allowing Scotland to vote for or against independence in 2014.

Question: if Scotland does get independence, what will happen to the Union Jack? The original Union Jack/Union Flag adopted in 1606 was symmetrical: the red cross of St. George outlined in white overlaid on top of a St. Andrew's flag, which was blue with a white X. The blue background has remained on the Union Jack ever since.

If Scotland were no longer part of the United Kingdom, should the blue now be removed, thus leaving a white background?

If the blue is removed, what would happen to commonwealth countries who have the Union Jack situated within their flags, such as Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Niue and Bermuda. Would they have to change their respective flags too?

I actually think it's a valid question.

In fact I think there are a lot of questions that need answering (some probably already have been but I'm a little behind the times in the US):

- How will the armed forces be split?

- Where will the nukes go?

- What happens to the seat on the UN Security council?

- Will the currency move to the Euro or stay with the pound?

- What happens to North Sea oil taxes?

etc etc

The two key questions for me are:

What currency will be using?  If its the Euro then they can forget it.

What happens to the North Sea Oil?  I read somewhere that Shetland might do an Isle of Man and effectively become its own sub-state which may affect who owns the oil and gas.

I think the SNP know they are going to lose the vote but have to go with it because they have been talking about it for so long. 

I actually think it's a valid question.

In fact I think there are a lot of questions that need answering (some probably already have been but I'm a little behind the times in the US):

- How will the armed forces be split?

- Where will the nukes go?

- What happens to the seat on the UN Security council?

- Will the currency move to the Euro or stay with the pound?

- What happens to North Sea oil taxes?

etc etc

Well if you want any questions about how we should run the country answered you have two choices: either wait to be told by someone in england who you didn't vote for what they want us to do, or choose political representation for your views that might mean they count for anything more than a fart in the wind somewhere that nae cunt's listening.

It wasn't a really dumb question. It's just the least important question about independence apart from who get's ownership of Rod Stewart.

Fucking Ireland can have him. Timmy cunt.

I'm with Kow on those questions. I want those answered.

It was interesting to hear one of the arguments against independence. "Our oil money will just go to the central belt." Aye? Well right now it goes to Westminster.  :hammer:

As for what happens to the Union Jack? It's a good question to be tbh. They should just do away with it and let everyone use their ain flags.

Why would the Union Jack have to change?!

Pretty dumb question IMO my opinion.

What's dumb about this question? The blue of the Union Jack should technically disappear since the blue portion that makes up the Union Jack no longer belongs to said union.

Sure, it's a pretty meaningless question in the grand scheme of Scottish Independence. But it's still a valid question given that it could change what is being flown from naval ships, royal houses, and what appears on the flags of certain other nations.

What's dumb about this question?

Everything! And if you learn to read a whole thread, you'll get the joy of me refining 'dumb' up to 'irrelevant'

The blue of the Union Jack should technically disappear since the blue portion that makes up the Union Jack no longer belongs to said union.

Doesn't mean it should and/or will though. There's this crazy thing called 'democracy' that's been breeding over Western Europe for over 12 years now which means that if the people agree then they can do whatever the fuck they like.

If RUK wanna keep the blue, then they keep it. If they don't then they don't. Surely everybody above the mental age of 7 can see that.

Sure, it's a pretty meaningless question in the grand scheme of Scottish Independence.

Absolutely

But it's still a valid question given that it could change what is being flown from naval ships, royal houses, and what appears on the flags of certain other nations.

Absolutely not.

I doubt the Royal Navy could give 2 fucks what flag is being flown, there's actually relevent questions like what will happen to all their boats and soldiers post-independence rather than what colour flag is being flown.

The 2014 Referendium isn't a vote for a Republic, so fuck all change will happen to Royal Houses, so that too is irrelevant.

As for what difference it'll make to the NZ flag? Also, complete nonsense. Ask yourself 2 questions here:

1. Why is the UJ on the NZ Flag in the first place?

2. Why the fuck would Scotland being independent change that reasoning?

Apart from all that though, excellent post.

It's different shades of blue in any case.  The Scottish flag's official colour is Pantone 300 which is a lighter shade of blue than that traditionally used on the UJ which has tended to be a darker Pantone 280.

I've read in historical football books that the reason that Scotland elected to play in dark blue as opposed to the colour of the flag was so as not to be associated with a certain mob that used to play their football down Govan way.

I reckon so long as Scotland remains to be part of the Commonwealth, the UJ will remain, with the Queen as head of state and resultantly keeping her flag on all those countries in the Commonwealth who have a UJ set within.

• 5 months later...

Im sure the SNP will be suing them for using a symbol (nasty one too) from past germany..

the people in the photo would be entitled to sue. Would assume they paid for the copyright, but I'd be fairly raging if I was used for a symbol of Nazism. Wonder how the photographer feels about it an all!

Genuinely sickening that they'd sink so low. What other country in the world would have one of their major broadsheets (albeit on its last legs) do such a vile thing to their own national flag? In Germany it'd be illegal.

edit - Have had a quick look and notice that the photographer - Ian Rutherford - is a Johnstone Press employee, so he wouldn't have had any say in how the pic was used in future. Probably applies to the models too. Not sure if there are the legal protections in Scots Law to make such contracts null and void in cases of wapping a fucking swastika all over people's work...