Statement from Stewart Milne

Aberdeen Chairman Stewart Milne has given his reaction to today's decision by the Scottish Football League to accept Rangers NewCo's request to join the SFL as an associate member and subsequently admit them into the third division.

"Following the SPL meeting last week and the vote to refuse Rangers NewCo admission to the SPL we felt that that the SFL clubs should be left alone to decide whether to grant Rangers NewCo associated membership of the SFL and, if this was approved, which division they should be in. We acknowledge that today they have made that clear decision. It is now time to move on.

"We will work together with the remaining SPL clubs on the season ahead and ensuring everything possible is done to secure the continuing support of our broadcasting and sponsor partners with Rangers NewCo in the SFL.

"Once the season is underway this will offer the opportunity to carry out a comprehensive review of the league structure going forward that will meet the aspirations of the Scottish football supporters, improve the quality of senior football in Scotland, bring about long term financial stability for senior clubs and place football at the heart of our communities.

"Finally I would like to address Aberdeen supporters directly. The challenges facing every club in Scotland going forward are severe, not least to our own club. I urge every single Dons supporter to get behind the Club, and the time to do that is now, as we face these challenges that have come about as a result of this situation which was not of our making."

That will be SPL2 then, why not just say it!

and even if it's not the SFL clubs won't allow it (thankfully)

Lets hope so but I can certainly see it being on the table of the SPL for the next year or so especially when you read the Caley chairman's statement. What I see in Milnes statement is a lack finality to the situation.

geez mizer,  you're like the Grinch..............

If we can remove Sevco from the situation,  have we not all been complaining about the current set up and how it needs revamped and revitalised?

I read Milne's statement as saying, we've got an opportunity here to actually make a positive change.

Milne has rightly (IMO) got loads of pelters from the fans over his chairmanship over the years, but I think he's handled the whole Sevco fiasco well.

I also agree wholeheartedly with his last paragraph. We, as fans, have bumped our gums and keyboards about wanting integrity above all else.  I actually like that Milne is in effect saying, you got what you wanted. Now, help pay the cost of it.

If we can remove Sevco from the situation,  have we not all been complaining about the current set up and how it needs revamped and revitalised?

I read Milne's statement as saying, we've got an opportunity here to actually make a positive change.

Milne has rightly (IMO) got loads of pelters from the fans over his chairmanship over the years, but I think he's handled the whole Sevco fiasco well.

I also agree wholeheartedly with his last paragraph. We, as fans, have bumped our gums and keyboards about wanting integrity above all else.  I actually like that Milne is in effect saying, you got what you wanted. Now, help pay the cost of it.

This.

That will be SPL2 then, why not just say it!

FFS mizer there's no point highlighting the only bit in the statement that suits you.  The second part of the very same sentence even states "going forward that will meet the aspirations of the Scottish football supporters".

Give the bloke a rest for fuck sake, the club have handled things well this summer, would it kill you to be even slightly positive?

Couldn't agree with this more.

Have to say mizer, I thoroughly disagree with you there. Milne, has surprised me this summer and I have found some respect for him. I have been left with no doubt that the club are wholeheartedly behind the fans on this one. There probably will be an spl2 on the table but I am confident that it will not be supported by our club, let alone the sfl ones. The other spl chairmen however should probably be sent to the gallows.