Paul Mason Interview

Oh to have a grafter with an ounce of his skill in our current midfield....... we really were blessed with the likes of Grant, Mason, Bett and Connor all around at the same time. We would totally boss the league with that nowadays :thumbsup:

Oh to have a grafter with an ounce of his skill in our current midfield....... we really were blessed with the likes of Grant, Mason, Bett and Connor all around at the same time. We would totally boss the league with that nowadays :thumbsup:

Big time, Al... watched our 6-2 demolition of Hearts a while ago; midfield of Bett on the right, Grant and Richardson in the middle and Mason on the left.  Everyone of them was two footed and were hitting short-mid and long range passes with both feet. Bett was showing off by hitting in-swinging corners from both sides of the park. 

Not one of those players was ever replaced adequately.

Paul Mason gave me one of the best bounces ever as a Dons fan when he scored the winner v the huns in 89; remember the headline on the back page of one of the tabloids the next day, above a picture of him netting the winner; "Who's the Mason in the Red?"  ;D

and to think back then Connor and Grant got pelters from certain sections of our supporters.

I can remember Jim Bett getting pelters on occasions, just goes to show what a discerning support we have.

I remember a lot of Don's fans thought Bett was "lazy", Connor was "weak" and Grant was just (just?) the hardworking "utility" player!

Yes Grant was considered a poor mans Simmie and Connor was apparently a jessie. Dont even start on the fans opinion of Stark. Because of what we had had some of these players were considered poor imitations yet we would chew our right arms of nowadays to have those guys.

Yes Grant was considered a poor mans Simmie and Connor was apparently a jessie. Dont even start on the fans opinion of Stark. Because of what we had had some of these players were considered poor imitations yet we would chew our right arms of nowadays to have those guys.

Given the fact I'm left handed, I could go for that ;)

Hell, I'd give up Donstalk to have a midfield like that now  ;D

I actually don't remember Grant getting pelters as much as Bett and Connor.  There has been some amount of revisionism as far as Bett goes, especially on Abmad (it's a good forum, just stating a fact).  Bett - cracking player, bags of skill and a joy of a player on form. Off form or in "couldn't be arsed mode"...? Massive pain in the cunt. 

i've said it on these pages before... it's no coincidence Bett got POTY in the season Grant was peaking.  Bett played  with a few cracking centre mids - Simmie, Peter Nicholas and Granty - but he peaked alongside Grant, but there were many games Bett couldn't be fucked and Grant basically did it all by himself.  Grant picked up after Bett, he was essentially his sweeper. 

Conner... skillful player but a massive shitebag, only out shitebagged by Ian Cameron... Amazingly, AFC managed to sign him too!

On topic though... I'd give my right ball for AFC to have someone of Paul Mason's ability these days.

What was the craic with Connor BB? He was almost out the door when i started reading an interest, liked what i saw of him

Industrious left sided midfielder who worked his arse off up and down that side of the pitch and got capped. Got a reputation for being a shite bag but always gave 100%, a very good player imo.