Redweb: Nicky Low Interview

As the manager continues his search for new recruits to add to the squad next season, there are two players who will be returning to Pittodrie after spending the season on loan. Nicky Low and Joe Shaughnessy have gone under the radar having been on loan at Forfar, but both will be pushing hard for a game next season.

Both have already played for the first team. Joe impressed greatly against Hibs in the final game of the season before last and Nicky also made his first team debut for Aberdeen in Edinburgh when he came on as a substitute in January 2010 against Hearts. The midfielder has made four appearances in total. Nicky Low

Nicky was a stand-out player during his days at U19 level, scoring and creating goals aplenty. Nicky has a phenomenal attitude towards the game and is one of the most popular players in the dressing room. Last season he scored six goals in 22 appearances at Forfar and was named their player of the year.Nicky is now ready to try and stake a claim for a starting spot next season as he told RedWeb.

"My time at Forfar was a good experience, though the league position was disappointing. I went there to try and get the boys in the play-offs but it didn't work out that way. It would not have been good for the CV if we had gone down, but thankfully we did enough to stay up.

"Obviously the standard is not as good as the SPL, it's more physical and they tend to go long quicker. It is still a good standard though because it's full of older boys who used to play in the SPL but have dropped down a level, like Paul Sheerin and Brian Kerr who used to play for Hibs and Motherwell. There are a lot of good players in the division.

Nicky Low "I think it was good experience, and it's toughened me up a bit for coming back to Pittodrie next season. I think I have produced a lot more than I did at U19s level and in reserve games and I just hope that I can impress the Dons management team. There is less competitiveness in the reserve games because there are no three points and no fans there so that is motivation that needs to come from within. With the fans at the second division games, it makes it more competitive and then there are the three points and the win bonuses to. It was good to get a few win bonuses although there weren't too many of them!

"It was a very competitive league. We were only ten points of the play-offs and then we were fighting relegation, it's a tight league. We went to Arbroath and won and they were second top so anybody can beat anybody on the day. We were quite unlucky with results too, we took the lead in ten games and lost them all.

"I have been playing left-midfield and been doing well, that could be my position. I feel comfortable playing it that position but I know I can play in the centre too. It is always good to play a few positions and hopefully the gaffer will recognise that.

"It has been disappointing not being involved on a matchday at Pittodrie and not travelling on away days but I still feel part of the club because I have been training with the boys every day. It was disappointing when they're not getting results. I still felt that disappointment on a Saturday. Nicky Low

"I still played in the bounce games during the week which was good because it was a chance to show Craig and Archie what I can do. I thought that I did well so I just want to get back for pre-season now. The manager has told me that if I come back and do well in pre-season I could get my chance so it is up to me now. I have signed a contract for another year so hopefully I can do well and get another one at the end of that.

"Since Rob (Milsom) got injured it has been disappointing because no one has made that left-midfield spot their own. It is just up to me to hopefully compete for that spot so that's what I hope to do. I think I am ready and I am sure I can do the job. I have confidence in my own ability.

"Joe has done really well, especially in that league where the strikers are big and physical and like to throw a few elbows! Joe likes a tackle and the physical side of things. He was unlucky with his injury which kept him out for a month or so.

"As well as Joe there are a lot of good, young players at Pittodrie at the moment, like Jamie Masson, I was pleased for him, how he did at the end of the season. It is a bit frustrating because I think if I wasn't on loan I'd have maybe got a few games towards the end, the manager indicated this in the press, but I am so pleased for Jamie. You have also got young Cammy (Smith) who has done really well too. We also saw Ryan (Fraser) come on and he looked good. There is a good bunch of young lads coming through and it is good for the club, a club I very much want to part of in the years ahead."