Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Petrol pump hysteria

CtS

The thing is, the Government are getting the blame but who the fuck is stupid enough to go panic buying petrol?  I'm not bothering.  I think some of the moronic public need to share some of the blame.

I suppose if you can find a petrol station selling stamps and pasties then you can kill three birds with one stone.

Problem is you get the morons rushing out to fill up the cars and their garage with petrol till the well runs dry, this then forces sensible folk to go out and fill their cars up as they know they will need fuel next week but are anxious the morons will have used it all.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

The government are morons but have successfully shifted the political debate and news cycle away from their highly unpopular budget and boosted the tax coffers at the end of the financial year.

I feel like a panic buyer because I've filled my company's pool cars up and a jerry can. Thing is we provide essential services (which would qualify for priority fuel if there was an actual fuel shortage) that rely on my employees travelling by car around a pretty rural area and due to the actual panic buyers who have filled up all their households cars and 4 jerry cans for the cars to sit on their drives, there is no petrol in any of the petrol stations in my town. And for the record I've already had to top up a car with the jerry can as one of the girls ran out of fuel after failing to find garage with petrol in time.

I feel like a panic buyer because I've filled my company's pool cars up and a jerry can. Thing is we provide essential services (which would qualify for priority fuel if there was an actual fuel shortage) that rely on my employees travelling by car around a pretty rural area and due to the actual panic buyers who have filled up all their households cars and 4 jerry cans for the cars to sit on their drives, there is no petrol in any of the petrol stations in my town. And for the record I've already had to top up a car with the jerry can as one of the girls ran out of fuel after failing to find garage with petrol in time.

Happened to a girl in York, so her mum decanted some petrol for her. Unfortunately she did it in the kitchen while cooking dinner, the vapours caught light and she is critical in hospital with 40% burns. Utterly stupid but wouldn't have happened if the local stations hadn't been run dry.

Happened to a girl in York, so her mum decanted some petrol for her. Unfortunately she did it in the kitchen while cooking dinner, the vapours caught light and she is critical in hospital with 40% burns. Utterly stupid but wouldn't have happened if the local stations hadn't been run dry.

Whilst I agree if may not have happened had panicky fuckwits not reacted to short sighted politicans I refuse to blame the government for anyone stupid enough to not only take petrol into their own house but to actually then try and pour it out whilst there was naked flames in close proximety.

Im actually wondering if this persons first reaction to smelling a potential gas leak would be to flick a light switch or perhaps light a cigarette.

Is the best way to work out whats in that unlabled bottle under the sink to drink some of the contents?

whilst growing up I used to get really pissed off with what I considered to be my Dad's over cautious safety streak but it appears there are lots of people who would benefit from growing up with an offshore oil worker

back to topic in hand I did enjoy the BBC choice of driver to interview

'so why did you feel the need to fill up your car with petrol madam?'

'The red light came on about half a mile back so I thought Id better fill up'

'okay'

:thumbsup:

The thing is, the Government are getting the blame but who the fuck is stupid enough to go panic buying petrol?  I'm not bothering.  I think some of the moronic public need to share some of the blame.

I suppose if you can find a petrol station selling stamps and pasties then you can kill three birds with one stone.

The government caused the panic, whilst blaming the unions, by whatever Minister it was telling people to fill their tanks up (to 2/3) and fill cans up to store in their garage. Yes Joe Public reacted, as it wasn't widely reported that there was no definite date decided and that at least 7 days notice would have to be given for a strike.

This story was then headline on all news programmes, detracting from paying to have dinner (succulent lamb?!) with Call Me Dave, "granny tax", the hot pastries/pies VAT, stamps, and not forgetting the new NHS Act in Engerland.

Similar to what baggy89 said, I need to use my car for my job. I'm an NHS essential service provider, working in the community, and would be classed as a priority fuel user. Locally many petrol stations were reported to be closed, those open had huge queues. I went for petrol today as was down to under 1/4 tank, and sat for 20 mins in Q's (how much petrol being wasted by everyone in Q's?!). I so wanted to shout out "I'm not panic buying!, there is no strike confirmed and we will get 7 days notice!" As I was in uniform, I restrained myself!

• 2 weeks later...