Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood Comment

Surely as a Manager, you get paid to make these decisions and work with the players to ensure that where they are playing they feel comfortable and above all, they do a good job.

If Jimmy Calderwood does not realise yet where the above players are best positioned on the park, then God Forbid....

:hammer:

P.S - Derek Young's best position is outside Pittodrie selling programmes.... :wave:

Totally bizarre.

I'm an English teacher. Now, if my headmaster told me he was going to experiment by putting me in Maths or Science for a few days, I'd calmly and rationally explain that that was not where my skills lay and that, as a professional who knows my job, I should be used properly in the role that I spent several years becoming accustomed to and building up my skills in.

Can footballers not speak up in similar fashion? They have spent years training as professionals - surely they better than anyone know what their best position is?

Of course, Jamie Smith actually can't speak up. He could always write it down though - "Boss. I'm a right winger. From Jamie."

Alternatively, JC could get a copy Football Manager and have a quick check. Whatever, I wouldn't suggest it's an insurmountable problem!

As much as it pains me to admit it, Derek Young has been far from the worst Don in the starting 11 for the past few weeks. He merits his place and IMO has been a positive for us. Young took so much abuse from the fans, me included that I think its a credit to his character how he has played.

If Lee Miller put in a quarter of the effort and running that Young puts in he would have scored and created alot more than he has so far this season.

As for Calderwood, he is still an idiot and the sooner he is punted the better for AFC.

"As for Calderwood, he is still an idiot and the sooner he is punted the better for AFC"

the stupidest comment i've heard for a while.

its really irritating how some people havent taken to calderwoods management at aberdeen. we are now a consistent top six team despite having fuck all money and now we're back in europe. granted at times he makes baffling decisions and i don't agree with everything he does but for fucks sake he's still the best manager we've had in years.

its that kind of attitude thats gonna make him bugger off to the first decent team in england that offers him a job and we'll be back to doing fuck all.

anyway who we gonna get to replace jimmy if he goes? whos gonna want to take over a team with unrealistic fans who boo the players when we win a game 2nil (couldnt believe that on saturday!!) and no money to spend.

wise up min.

rant over!!

"we are now a consistent top six team despite having fuck all money and now we're back in europe."

To be honest, for any manager of AFC who had the money we spent on Lovell and Nicholson, plus the hefty contracts given to them plus Scott Severin, Jamie Smith, Jackie McNamara, Lee Miller and Jamie Langfield, finishing in the top 6 for 3 years in a row and qualifying for Europe once should be the minimum expected requirement. It's not a massive achievement by any stretch of the imagination.

He's done well, yes, but any decent manager could've at least matched it.

People pay too much attention to how bad we were. Look how bad Motherwell were last season, and look at them this season. Same with Dundee Utd, both could easily finish top 6 with little investment in the playing squad.

That comment about Smith, Seve and Clark sums everything up for me about Calderwood. You've got 3 players there who have made their names as a wide right player, central midfielder and wide left player. Why not just keep them there for a run of games, allow them to get some consistency of position, hell, maybe even allow the team to gel and get an understanding? I was away on Saturday, but i believe he used Seve in defence again (when Mair AND Touzani were on the bench!) whilst using yet another defensive line up. How many times have the same set of defenders + keeper lined up 2 games in a row this season..?

Performances are shite because of his pointless tinkering, not because he's a tactical genius, who "finds" new positions for players at will. I would be surprised if we kept the same line up/formation for Thursday night, but why can't he just allow players to form understandings together, ESPECIALLY in defence, the most important area of the pitch. I think it was Gordon Strachan who said "football's a simple game, which some people make over complicated".

Sounds a bit of a random rant there, but i hope you get the gist of what i'm saying.

As much as it pains me to admit it, Derek Young has been far from the worst Don in the starting 11 for the past few weeks. He merits his place and IMO has been a positive for us. Young took so much abuse from the fans, me included that I think its a credit to his character how he has played.

If Lee Miller put in a quarter of the effort and running that Young puts in he would have scored and created alot more than he has so far this season.

As for Calderwood, he is still an idiot and the sooner he is punted the better for AFC.

Why is it whenever Derek Young is mentioned people say he gives 100% or he never stops running or what an effort he puts in..

For gods sake what we want to here is how good a bloody player he is

effort, running and giving 100% i could do that...

He is not good enough for aberdeen and thats it (im not having a go at him i actually feel sorry for him being put in the position he has)

we'll only realise how good calderwood is when hes gone. then we'll regret not supporting him more. im not his biggest fan either and i do think hes an idiot with some of his tactical decisions and i would far rather have seve in midfield than defence etc etc.

all i'm saying is he's the best we've had in a long time.

we'll only realise how good calderwood is when hes gone. then we'll regret not supporting him more. im not his biggest fan either and i do think hes an idiot with some of his tactical decisions and i would far rather have seve in midfield than defence etc etc.

all i'm saying is he's the best we've had in a long time.

Maybe. Maybe not. That's a chance that obviously several dandies are prepared to take. You can not, however, have a "better the devil you know" attitude indefinately. Undoubtedly, Calderwood has done a good job and has steadied a very rocky ship. But, there will come a point that he can do no more with us, unfortunately, that's one of these things that can only be answered for definate in hindsight.

As a football club we always have to look to progress, and at the moment we are going backwards. It's early in the season and I reckon we'll come good, but if we don't, we certainly can't have the attitude that we can't part company with the boss because IT MAY BE THE WRONG DECISION.

I don't think it would be that good if Calderwood left, but i certainly wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. The man is a buffoon whose man management appears to border on the insane and at times I think we've achieved what we have IN SPITE of Calderwood. Again, though, that's something that can never be proven.

If he didn't come out with claptrap like this then i'd have more time for him. The fact he doesn't know their best positions is not an indictment on how well those players have played all over the park, it's an indication that their confidence and consistency is affected by the continuous changes.

A very interesting point someone on here made recently:

We're now in his fourth season. Not one partnership on the park has been established in that time, and frankly that's appalling. You look at the best Dons sides down the years: Miller/McLeish, Simmie/Cooper, Simmie/Bett, Bett/Grant, McGhee/Black, Black/McDougall, Charlie Nic/Gillhaus, Gillhaus/Jess, Shearer/Booth etc etc.  That's because of the manager, and it means there is no solid base for the team to progress.  If he settles on a formation and sticks to it regardless of opponents, we'll do well. Otherwise, we'll continue to struggle.

Why is it whenever Derek Young is mentioned people say he gives 100% or he never stops running or what an effort he puts in..

For gods sake what we want to here is how good a bloody player he is

effort, running and giving 100% i could do that...

He is not good enough for aberdeen and thats it (im not having a go at him i actually feel sorry for him being put in the position he has)

Well you name me a more deserving player over the last few games? I cant think of any. If he puts in the effort and is far from the worst player then he deserves to keep his place untill such time as he is ousted!

i agree that calderwood will only take us so far but unfortunatelywe can only go so far unless the management team get financial support. without heavy investment we are never going to compete in the league with the old firm or even arguably hearts. third in the league is as far as we can hope for, also with a good cup run and into the uefa group stages.

no other manager could take us further with the current financial support we have at the club. although hopefully if (and its a bloody big if) we can get past dnipro tomorrow night then a bit of money will come into the club then calderwood will get support to take us that stage further.

regular qualification to europe is a must though to start getting financial support.

Granted JC has made mistakes and its been a poor start to the season, But we need to remember where we were before him. We'll never have a return to the 80's. As great as those days were they've turned into a curse. Given the financial situation of the club JC has done a great job and we need to support him. If not maybe you who are slagging him repeatedly should apply for the job. Only if you were succesful in FM of course.

i agree that calderwood will only take us so far but unfortunatelywe can only go so far unless the management team get financial support. without heavy investment we are never going to compete in the league with the old firm or even arguably hearts. third in the league is as far as we can hope for, also with a good cup run and into the uefa group stages.

no other manager could take us further with the current financial support we have at the club. although hopefully if (and its a bloody big if) we can get past dnipro tomorrow night then a bit of money will come into the club then calderwood will get support to take us that stage further.

regular qualification to europe is a must though to start getting financial support.

We've never had a good cup run under Calderwood. If he doesn't get one this season, he's failed, basically.