Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Sun: I won’t see £1m I got club

mizer

CRAIG BROWN has banked a cool £1million for Aberdeen — but doesn't expect to see any of it as he bids to strengthen his Dons side.

The Dons boss has raked in the cash for the Pittodrie club through the transfers of Chris Maguire to Derby, Ricky Foster to Bristol City, Sone Aluko to Rangers and, just this week, youngster Jack Grimmer to Fulham.

He revealed he won't be banging down the board-room door to demand cash to fund new players as he prepares to deal in the bargain basement in the transfer window.

He said: "I have not discussed the income against expenditure with the board.

"We have a player budget which we stick to although the budget does not include transfer fees.

"If you add up all the money from the likes of Maguire, Foster and Aluko it won't be far off £1million — but I won't be asking for more money.

"If someone emerged as a stellar signing, we might go and request that though.

"At the moment, we are still looking for players who won't cost a transfer fee.

"I'm not complaining about it.

"When we took the job, we knew about the financial situation and we knew the club was in debt.

"Part of the job here is to make the club a profit and managers should not just be judged on the league position."

The wily Brown knows all about cutting your cloth accordingly at clubs.

During his nine years as manager of Clyde he was EXPECTED to sell a player every season, so his situation at Pittodrie is nothing new to him.

Former Scotland boss Brown said: "When I was manager at Clyde, the instructions we had was to sell a player every year.

"Clyde were never in the red during my time there and it was a requirement to do that.

"I sold players like Pat Nevin to Chelsea for £95,000 and Steve Archibald to Aberdeen for £25,000.

"I also sold Raymond Deans to Doncaster Rovers for £40,000 and Joe Ward to Aston Villa for £85,000.

"Alex Ferguson even paid £90,000 to bring Tommy McQueen to Aberdeen.

"I got £60,000 for Gerry McCabe from Clydebank and £35,000 from Ayr United for Brian Ahern, so I know what it is like.

"Aberdeen are in debt and there are no funds to buy players so I cannot complain.

"Just because we are taking a million in doesn't mean we will demand we should be getting some of it."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4073536/I-wont-see-1m-I-got-club.html#ixzz1jzV2CWOu