Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Individual errors

Neil McCann was battering on before the match last night that the main reason we are in such a piss poor league position was due to us constantly making individual errors that have been costing us matches. The chat was that we weren't a bad team, and the mistakes we had been making were holding us back.

Is this the impression everybody else has this season?

I think he was talking a load of pish. Yes, we have made quite a few individual errors, Foster, Considine, Mawene, Mackie and Brown spring to mind, but I wouldn't say anymore than most other teams in the division. We just don't have any quality to take advantage when other teams balls it up.

He certainly came across as having done his homework on us.  In fact the way he was speaking it seemed like he's seen a lot of our games despite us not being on the box that often.  I wonder if he's paying attention because his old gaffer Brown is there?

I think the 'individual errors' remark was echoing Brown's comments of the team not having played poorly in games all season, we've just had moments of madness from players that have cost us.

I suppose if the team have gelled, they have a good dressing room and they're all of a similar standard with everyone pulling their weight then there has to be a reason we are where we are.

Brown thinks it's not gettng the rub of the green.  McCann thinks it's individual errors.  Personally I think it's because the standard of player just isn't good enough and these moments where they switch off are part and parcel of bargain basement spending.

I actually agree completely. We've not always played blinding football but I can't remember too many occasions when we were completely outplayed. Against St. Mirren in Paisley back in August we were. But we have made a shit load of individual errors. Gonzalez and Foster are leading on that front with others chipping in with their contributions too. There's no doubt in my mind that it's made a massive difference. If Gonzo wasn't shite at Ibrox we'd have got a point and if Foster didn't fuck it up against Celtic at Pittodrie we'd have gotten a point there too.

I actually agree completely. We've not always played blinding football but I can't remember too many occasions when we were completely outplayed. Against St. Mirren in Paisley back in August we were. But we have made a shit load of individual errors. Gonzalez and Foster are leading on that front with others chipping in with their contributions too. There's no doubt in my mind that it's made a massive difference. If Gonzo wasn't shite at Ibrox we'd have got a point and if Foster didn't fuck it up against Celtic at Pittodrie we'd have gotten a point there too.

I tend to agree with this too.  Only team I think we have been totally out played by was St Mirren.  I'm not saying we deserved to win all the others, or even get points, but a combination of less individual mistakes and a slightly better cutting edge and we would have a good few more points.  There does come a point where you have to say perhaps it is more than "mistakes" and that we deserve more but really don't think there is a huge step from where we have been to moving up the table.

I have to say, I don't think i'm in a valid position to really comment due to not actually having seen us live this season, but here's my tuppence worth anyway.

I've had the impression that there is a good team moral amongst the squad and there have been positives signs (see the Dunfermline result as a case in point. But the same things which have been haunting us for years are still very much apparent (i.e. a lack of concentration). I don't know whether this is the same with other teams, but this lack of concentration on our part always seems to result in goals conceded. Then again, this is all linked back to the quality of player that tends to lose their concentration.

I also seem to see/hear referees decisions going against us a lot more so than in previous years. I don't know whether this has actually been the case but it certainly feels like it (without sounding like a bitter tim). That referee on the weekend was a complete waste of space. Hately would have been fairer.

Mcardle has had a few decent games at centre back but he gets fucking raped at rb which is unfortunate since hes played most games there.  I cant help but think that the lack of even two natural full backs for the past season and a half has contributed greatly to a lot of the individual mistakes. It will be interesting if ozzy plays right back  again next game.  Also it would be good to see folly back in the side soon as he did a lot of good covering work and we have missed him.  Is there any due date for his return?

Mcardle has had a few decent games at centre back but he gets fucking raped at rb which is unfortunate since hes played most games there.  I cant help but think that the lack of even two natural full backs for the past season and a half has contributed greatly to a lot of the individual mistakes. It will be interesting if ozzy plays right back  again next game.  Also it would be good to see folly back in the side soon as he did a lot of good covering work and we have missed him. Is there any due date for his return?

As I said in another thread I thought he was due back in September? Seems like fucking years ago he got injured.