Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

AFC recent past, present and future - the blame game

The 2011/12 season is two games old. Way too early to say that this won't be a landmark season, the breakthrough year, the first decent team for almost two decades, the first time AFC have produced something that anyone can be proud of for a very long time.

But I doubt it. In fact, I am certain that this won't be the exceptional season to the recent rule, despite having the most ably qualified manager of the last two decades. The woeful decline of AFC is set to continue unchecked in my opinion. Not the usual stance for me, a normally optimistically oriented person but where AFC is concerned, I reckon it's obvious what's gone wrong and why.

"A single-goal margin does scant justice to Saints' overwhelming superiority in this game" is the latest humiliation reported in the Sunday Times. If you believe, like me, that this is a ship that has been sailing nowhere and given the present signs, will continue to underperform hugely, then WHY do you think this is?

The 2011/12 season is two games old. Way too early to say that this won't be a landmark season, the breakthrough year, the first decent team for almost two decades, the first time AFC have produced something that anyone can be proud of for a very long time.

But I doubt it. In fact, I am certain that this won't be the exceptional season to the recent rule, despite having the most ably qualified manager of the last two decades. The woeful decline of AFC is set to continue unchecked in my opinion. Not the usual stance for me, a normally optimistically oriented person but where AFC is concerned, I reckon it's obvious what's gone wrong and why.

"A single-goal margin does scant justice to Saints' overwhelming superiority in this game" is the latest humiliation reported in the Sunday Times. If you believe, like me, that this is a ship that has been sailing nowhere and given the present signs, will continue to underperform hugely, then WHY do you think this is?

Well, it's Stewart Milne, isn't it?  And the board before him, the weak Ian Donald (hell of a nice chap I should say, but i wouldn't want him running my business).

Their decisions - mainly the managers - have brought about further bad decisions.  Deciding to appoint Roy Aitken (still Donald at that time?) when he should have been sacked along with Willie Miller was ridiculous. People seem to forget that Aitken was in charge for the Stenhousemuir game and then a horrendous run before the players finally snapped into life and got us out of the shit.  Deciding then to give him a truckload of cash when it was the very thing Willie Miller needed as manager to replace the outgoing veterans such as McLeish, Bett, Mason, Richardson and Connor was a case of bolting the stable door after the horse had bolted.

The fact he spent it horrifically is causing us problems to this day, same with the Alex Miller (worst decision in the history of AFC) appointment, as Milne refuses now to speculate to accumulate.  The reasoning being "Just in case..." as far as I can tell.

They seem happy to strive for not very much at all.  This has trickled it's way into the fans and now we're celebrating top six finishes (or were, chance would be a fine thing these days). As soon as we have a glimpse of something good it's taken away from us - JC had a good/solid team which was needlessly broken up in my opinion.  We seem utterly averse to building on anything which may make us stronger.  The lack of investment is almost criminal; AFC are a big deal in Scotland, I find it almost bizarre that we are in the same financial state now as we were 10 years ago.  That just can't be right, can it?