Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

If Brew goes....

...do you think there's ANY chance we'll get someone else in sharpish to replace him?

clearly, time is at something of a premium. do you think jc has a back-up plan if we lose our form striker to Caley?

i'd hope so. but i'm guessing he and wm have kinda taken their eye off the market after conducting all our business at the start of the summer.

if there's a hope we could get someone else, who would you like? realistically, of course.

...do you think there's ANY chance we'll get someone else in sharpish to replace him?

clearly, time is at something of a premium. do you think jc has a back-up plan if we lose our form striker to Caley?

i'd hope so. but i'm guessing he and wm have kinda taken their eye off the market after conducting all our business at the start of the summer.

if there's a hope we could get someone else, who would you like? realistically, of course.

Going by a post on the Hat site, the two Jimmys were at a game in Nothern Ireland the other night and are supposedly after a lad called Mark McAllister who plays for Dungannon.

Personally speaking, I would rather we just used Chris Maguire more often. The lad will never progress by purely sitting on the bench and I think we need to show faith in his ability. I'm also not a great subscriber to this theory that you need a big guy and a wee guy to play up front and I'd happily play Lovell with either Mackie or Maguire. JC seems reluctant to do this often, however.

I would like to see us get a new keeper in before the end of the transfer window. Soutar has done ok, but looking back at the highlights of the Celtic game, I'm worried. Didn't shift his feet well, barely got off the ground at Nakamura's free kick (not that he would have saved it anyway, but that's hardly the point), is absolutely static at corner kicks (only a matter of time til we lose a goal from a corner which is put on to our six yard line) and should never have been beaten at the third goal.

min, i've been shouting for a new keeper for over a year, so i suspect that's nae going to happen.

i'm not that bothered about us signing a big lump of a striker, but i do think we need someone. it's a damning indictment of the ability and application of our two supposed star forwards lovell and miller that they can't get into the team ahead of a 40 year old (albeit, far more talented) man. if they're not cutting it (and neither is maguire - yet) then we'll be significantly weakened if, as looks likely, brew goes.

anyone know anything about this dungannon chap the jimmies were supposedly looking at? is he the new ritchie byrne?

Going by a post on the Hat site, the two Jimmys were at a game in Nothern Ireland the other night and are supposedly after a lad called Mark McAllister who plays for Dungannon.

Personally speaking, I would rather we just used Chris Maguire more often. The lad will never progress by purely sitting on the bench and I think we need to show faith in his ability. I'm also not a great subscriber to this theory that you need a big guy and a wee guy to play up front and I'd happily play Lovell with either Mackie or Maguire. JC seems reluctant to do this often, however.

I would like to see us get a new keeper in before the end of the transfer window. Soutar has done ok, but looking back at the highlights of the Celtic game, I'm worried. Didn't shift his feet well, barely got off the ground at Nakamura's free kick (not that he would have saved it anyway, but that's hardly the point), is absolutely static at corner kicks (only a matter of time til we lose a goal from a corner which is put on to our six yard line) and should never have been beaten at the third goal.

agree about maguire.

he needs to be given a chance even if brew doesnt go.

but JC doesnt exactly have a great record in youth development

This is apparently the loon

_42891625_mark_mcallister_203.jpg

Mark McAllister has turned down the offer of a two-year deal from Celtic but may complete a move to full-time professional football this week.

The teenage Dungannon forward trained with the Glasgow giants at the weekend and impressed Parkhead coaches but has opted to consider other options.

"Mark was aware that competition for places was fierce and made his own decision," said Swifts boss Harry Fay.

"We have two other firm offers on the table and a move may be tied up soon."

"Celtic are a massive club but they have a lot of strikers on their books and Mark was aware of his other options.

"He made a mature decision and if he goes anywhere it will be to full-time professional football across the water.

"A move could be sealed before the weekend," added Fay.

Cardiff City, Norwich City and Leeds United were also known to be interested in the forward.

The 19-year-old played for Dungannon in the Irish Cup final and was named Northern Ireland Football Writers' Young Player of the Year on Monday night.

McAllister, who scored 15 goals last season, is part of the Northern Ireland U21 squad for the forthcoming games against Scotland and Moldova.

Northern Ireland take on the Scots in a Firhill Park friendly on 24 May before facing Moldova in a European Championship qualifier on 1 June.

min, i've been shouting for a new keeper for over a year, so i suspect that's nae going to happen.

i'm not that bothered about us signing a big lump of a striker, but i do think we need someone. it's a damning indictment of the ability and application of our two supposed star forwards lovell and miller that they can't get into the team ahead of a 40 year old (albeit, far more talented) man. if they're not cutting it (and neither is maguire - yet) then we'll be significantly weakened if, as looks likely, brew goes.

anyone know anything about this dungannon chap the jimmies were supposedly looking at? is he the new ritchie byrne?

Not sure if you remember a story at the start of the summer about celtic taking an Irish lad on trial, then offering him a contract and the lad snubbing it? Well, this is the fella. He thought he wouldn't get a look in at Porkheid so didnt sign... fair play to him, money obviously isn't the driving force in his career.

About the forwards... I genuinely believe that Lovell could be a tremendous striker for us if given a decent run in the side. But putting the guy in for one game, playing an unfamiliar role, getting the ball smacked up to his head for the whole time he's on the pitch and then he's out the side the next week is not doing us nor Stevie Lovell any favours.  It should be Lovell and one of the others partnering him. Mackie has been our top scorer in two of the last three seasons (I think!), and Miller is allegedly our highest paid player. Maguire is a great prospect and looks as though he offers something the others dont (ie he can dribble and looks a cocky wee shite - in a good sense), if Calderflump can't get a successful partnership out of that then there's something wrong.  And I agree with vanderark, JC's record with youth is not great, and that worries me about  Maguires progress.

agree whole heartedly that maguire should be given more a chance to shine this season (as striker nae a winger)

What we need is for a strike partnership to be given a chance, ie a run of 4 or 5 games together to form a decent partnership (now where have I heard that before)

as with the defence we should have established a partnership preseason, but instead chopped and changed.  Infact have we not started with a different line up each game so far? (I would check but unbelievably RedWeb only has the pre-season results...how shit is that site?)

At the end of the day it's all in the lap of the Gods and JC's tombola....

Guest dundee_red

agree whole heartedly that maguire should be given more a chance to shine this season (as striker nae a winger)

What we need is for a strike partnership to be given a chance, ie a run of 4 or 5 games together to form a decent partnership (now where have I heard that before)

as with the defence we should have established a partnership preseason, but instead chopped and changed.  Infact have we not started with a different line up each game so far? (I would check but unbelievably RedWeb only has the pre-season results...how shit is that site?)

At the end of the day it's all in the lap of the Gods and JC's tombola....

1st game back 4 of Hart Considine Severin Foster with strikers Miller Mackie

2nd game back 4 of Hart Diamond Severin Mair with strikers Lovell Mackie

3rd game back 4 of Hart Considine Diamond McNamara with strikers Mackie Brewster

1st game back 4 of Hart Considine Severin Foster with strikers Miller Mackie

2nd game back 4 of Hart Diamond Severin Mair with strikers Lovell Mackie

3rd game back 4 of Hart Considine Diamond McNamara with strikers Mackie Brewster

If JC's going to stick with the back four above (3rd game and today against hibs) then that's a start, from a consistency point of view but, I don't like the idea of Diamond and Considine together.  I think it's a only a matter of time before one or both starts giving away crazy fouls in crazy positions. 

I'd actually like to see:

Back four - Touzani/Hart/Considine/McNamara.

Midfield - We have various options and I think that's where JC should be tinkering (and not the defence or attack!).

Forwards - Mackie and Lovell (for a long spell together and see how they do)

sheepheid min, I take it you weren't at yesterday's or even last weeks game? Zander has been outstanding and was the best player on the park in the first half. If I dropped anyone it would be Andy Considine who has cost us half our goals so far this season.  Personally I would persevere with andy and zander.  I don't understand why Touzani is at the club as JC clearly doesn't want to play him but he certainly isn't a RB.  He may complement zander quite nicely in the middle but who knows as he has hardly kicked a ball for the first team.

Midfield needs a boot up the arse, particularly our captain, who has been pretty woeful this season so far.  As for strikers I have nae idea but JC needs to pick 2 and play them every week.  Ideally Lovell should get a run as when he does he generally starts scoring so I guess given JCs love of Mackie that means a Lovell-Mackie partnership is the way to go.

Tend to agree with you BB, i don't think you need to have a little and large double act up front, but if you don't then you have to play proper passing football, keeping it on the deck and getting it into feet. However, our players don't seem intelligent enough to remember this, going by the Hearts game (the one where we've not played a wee man/big man front two).

Brewster leaving (which is now the worst kept secret in football) leaves us without a physical prescence up front.  We need that "don't take liberties with Lovell or I'll..." type.  Young, Miller & Mackie don't bring this to the table.

On the other hand, A proven poacher would supplant Young and Mackie....

Too many changes here; I must be off my nutt thinking AFC would try anything radical with the window closing this week.

sheepheid min, I take it you weren't at yesterday's or even last weeks game? Zander has been outstanding and was the best player on the park in the first half. If I dropped anyone it would be Andy Considine who has cost us half our goals so far this season.  Personally I would persevere with andy and zander.  I don't understand why Touzani is at the club as JC clearly doesn't want to play him but he certainly isn't a RB.  He may complement zander quite nicely in the middle but who knows as he has hardly kicked a ball for the first team.

Correct, I was not at the last two games (working).  If Diamond has been doing well, then no problem, play him and drop Considine.  My point is that I don't like them both playing together - I might be wrong and they may gel together given time but, I think that both of them is a recipe for disaster.

As for Touzani, I too am beginning to wonder why he is at the club.  The games I've seen him, he has done well at both Centre half (ok, that was a long time ago now) and more recently he was oustanding when he came on at right back on the last day of the season against Rangers.  He lacks pace which may be a problem at right back but he is more of a natural footballer and with Hart playing inside him (pace), I think it might work ok. But if I was him, I'd be wondering why I signed a new contract, when Young gets on the bench before me?