Jess throws his hat in the ring

Thought worthy of a thread on its own. Copied from P&J website. Would love to see Jess back at Pittodire some day, but not sure that the time is right  ???

Ex-Don Jess eyes Pittodrie return nottingham forest youth coach eoin joins list interested in becoming Reds manager

By Paul Third

Published: 04/12/2010

SEEING RED: Eoin Jess is among a growing list of candidates interested in the vacant Aberdeen manager’s post. Kevin Emslie

More Pictures

Eoin Jess wants to be the next Aberdeen manager. The former Don, who played for the Reds in two spells, is ready to make his return to Scottish football with his first club.

Mark McGhee’s 18-month tenure as manager was brought to an end on Wednesday when he was sacked by the Dons and Jess, who will be 40 on December 13, wants the job.

The former attacker, who played more than 300 games for Aberdeen, was linked with the vacant job at Hibernian in October but lost out to Colin Calderwood.

He admitted his lack of coaching experience would go against him but hoped bringing an experienced man in the mould of Jocky Scott or Alex Smith as his assistant would compensate.

Portsoy-born Jess, a youth coach at Nottingham Forest, was reluctant to discuss the vacancy in detail but admitted: “I would be interested in the job but, whatever happens, it would be nice to see the good old days brought back to the club.”

Jess had a stroke two years ago due to a congenital disorder, with the root cause found to have come from him being born with a hole in his heart.

The Dons have been inundated with candidates putting themselves forward.

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown has registered his interest, although it remains to be seen if he would accept the role given the current financial parameters.

Aberdeen can also expect the CV of Pat Fenlon, the Bohemians manager who was interviewed for the Dundee United job and considered for the Hibs position.

Fenlon would have been installed at Tannadice had it not been for his Irish club’s compensation demands, which are no longer a stumbling block due to their financial problems.

Former Aberdeen midfielder Michael O’Neill is also on the radar of the Dons after leading Shamrock Rovers to the League of Ireland title in October. O’Neill has a year left on his contract at Rovers but has yet to sign a new deal and is attracting attention.

Former Don Billy Stark, John Hughes and Gus McPherson remain among the favourites and former Aberdeen forward Billy Dodds has also voiced his interest.

The Dons will consider the candidates over the weekend before drawing up a shortlist to begin interviews by the end of next week

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2038609#ixzz178PoqHkG

No NO NO!

Unlike you auld gits I missed the success of the 80s.  Jess is thus easily the best player I have seen in a red shirt and my boyhood hero.  The last thing I would want to see is him back at Pittodrie going the same way as Miller and McGhee.

;D

Sometimes I just love being old  :P

No NO NO!

Unlike you auld gits I missed the success of the 80s.  Jess is thus easily the best player I have seen in a red shirt and my boyhood hero.  The last thing I would want to see is him back at Pittodrie going the same way as Miller and McGhee.

This. x100000000

I'd love to see Jess join the coaching staff in some sort of role, but i'd hate for him to fail as the manager. I'd be happy for him to do what McCoist does at the Huns.