Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Nice Piece on Willie Miller

Has anyone on this board ever actually met Willie Miller?  I'd love to see a Q&A forum with a guy like him.

I have. In the free bar of the Gothenberg tribute night. Me, 2 of my mates, the team, Jack Webster and Buff Hardie. The most surreal, but brilliant, night ever.

For what it's worth, he was on cracking form. As was Mark McGhee, who got us into the free bar by drunkenly suggesting we come in for autographs as "there's only 4 of you" (see how many folk i described as being with me.....).

Has anyone on this board ever actually met Willie Miller?  I'd love to see a Q&A forum with a guy like him.

I've met him quite a few times. Great guy, always got time for the fans.

I remember one time when the Dons Youngstars Club (anyone else in that) had it's open day at Pittodrie and Miller was the manager at the time. All the players went through a training session and then you could meet all the players and management team for photos/autographs. Willie was great and made sure everything was going well... then he had reports that two of his players had been rather rude to a couple of kids.  Willie marched into the centre of the park where the two offending players were and hauled them down the tunnel. At that point, I was amazed at how scared two grown men could look! The two players appeared five minutes later, red faced and looking rather sheepish. Without naming the two players directly, their nicknames were Dobbin and Zico.  Strange how it's always the crap players who act like the billy big time and yet you have legends like Miller, McLeish, Snelders and McKimmie treating the fans with the respect they deserve.

Millers a top guy. When he was manager he they used to go on a highland tour preseason. Playin highland league teams like. When playin Nairn I asked him if the team could sign my top if they had time. He took my top and after the game a Nairn official told me to go knock on the changing room door and ask for my top. Willie Miller answered and told me to take a seat while my top was passed around. He even asked if anyone hadn't signed it.

The man is pure class and gave me one of my greatest dandy memories.

Millers a top guy. When he was manager he they used to go on a highland tour preseason. Playin highland league teams like. When playin Nairn I asked him if the team could sign my top if they had time. He took my top and after the game a Nairn official told me to go knock on the changing room door and ask for my top. Willie Miller answered and told me to take a seat while my top was passed around. He even asked if anyone hadn't signed it.

The man is pure class and gave me one of my greatest dandy memories.

That's what he did with my "Willie Miller Is God" T-shirt on the Gothenberg night. I hear stories that he's a bit of a wank to work for and he's a bit of a Billy Big Time, but i've never been given anything other than his full attention when i've met him. That Gothenberg night he even spoke to one of my mates on the phone to prove we were actually standing at a free bar with Willie Miller.

Also, Bobby Biscuit, Dobbin? Seriously? I'd have thought he'd have been the last one to leave any sort of meet and greet with some kids.

Zico was the first person to sign my autograph book. My mum's friend lived next door to him, and sent me round to see him when he came home from training. He was a very nice guy indeed then. It was not long after he signed, right enough, so he maybe felt a bit like he'd made it. Maybe i was to blame for your bad experience...

Off topic altogether, Brian Grant came and spent an afternoon at my primary school, purely because he would drive a tractor past us when he was helping out his in-laws. Me and 2 other kids got to have an afternoon interviewing him for our school paper. We went out to the football "pitch" and watched in horror as Granty misjudged the height of our crossbar and banged his head with a helluva whack. He was another absolutely top guy, come to think of it.

Also, Bobby Biscuit, Dobbin? Seriously? I'd have thought he'd have been the last one to leave any sort of meet and greet with some kids.

Zico was the first person to sign my autograph book. My mum's friend lived next door to him, and sent me round to see him when he came home from training. He was a very nice guy indeed then. It was not long after he signed, right enough, so he maybe felt a bit like he'd made it. Maybe i was to blame for your bad experience...

Off topic altogether, Brian Grant came and spent an afternoon at my primary school, purely because he would drive a tractor past us when he was helping out his in-laws. Me and 2 other kids got to have an afternoon interviewing him for our school paper. We went out to the football "pitch" and watched in horror as Granty misjudged the height of our crossbar and banged his head with a helluva whack. He was another absolutely top guy, come to think of it.

Yeah, it wasn't to me personally, but he really snapped at another young lad and the boy's dad was fuming, stormed over to Willie Miller (who had just been told about the others indiscretion) who then had steam coming out his ears!!

I see Granty quite a lot. I play golf in Bannockburn a fair bit and he plays the same course with his lad. He's a top guy indeed.

Met Willie once, would have been about 84 or 85.

Myself and a friend were down Pittodrie way, just passing the ground and Willie came out the main door. We both went "Hi Willie" and he actually stopped and had a couple of minutes chat with us in the street along the lines of

"How's it going lads.....going to the game this week.... what do you think our chances are....etc"

No need for him to stop or give us more than a wave back. Absolute gent.

I have. In the free bar of the Gothenberg tribute night. Me, 2 of my mates, the team, Jack Webster and Buff Hardie. The most surreal, but brilliant, night ever.

For what it's worth, he was on cracking form. As was Mark McGhee, who got us into the free bar by drunkenly suggesting we come in for autographs as "there's only 4 of you" (see how many folk i described as being with me.....).

I was there also with McGhee, Simmy, Cooper etc but don't remember anyone else being there!

It WAS a free bar however and i was drunk, so maybe my memory is a bit lax :)

But yeh... If i saw you and didn't say hi then sorry! Or maybe i did?

I was there also with McGhee, Simmy, Cooper etc but don't remember anyone else being there!

As was mine. I remember standing speaking to Jim Cummings and saying how it was a disgrace the way "that boy Cummings" was treated by Stuart Milne, only for him to hold out his hand and say "Jim Cummings, nice to meet you..."

You weren't one of the lads sitting at the back of the 3 tables, were you? Someone said they were Simmy's kids. We were too dumb/awe struck to pay any notice to anyone else, really. Indeed, we were actually too afraid to go to the bar in case someone clocked we weren't officially invited, and lobbed us out. Then Mr McGhee got us a round in, and told us to get tucked in.

As was mine. I remember standing speaking to Jim Cummings and saying how it was a disgrace the way "that boy Cummings" was treated by Stuart Milne, only for him to hold out his hand and say "Jim Cummings, nice to meet you..."

You weren't one of the lads sitting at the back of the 3 tables, were you? Someone said they were Simmy's kids. We were too dumb/awe struck to pay any notice to anyone else, really. Indeed, we were actually too afraid to go to the bar in case someone clocked we weren't officially invited, and lobbed us out. Then Mr McGhee got us a round in, and told us to get tucked in.

That was us!!  :thumbsup:

I genuinely don't rememeber anyone else being there, sorry if i missed you. I was as awe-struck as you, doing tequilla slammers with McGhee and Cooper isn't something i'll forget in a hurry, despite the hazy recollection the next day!

But yeh... Brilliant night! Next time i'm at one of these events i'll look out for a massive, walking, talking bristly tache  :thumbsup:

I met Willie in Edinburgh one evening. He was out with his missus. Me and my mate were at some restaurant ... I think it was for someone's birthday. Anyway, digressing. Willie was having a romantic meal with his missus, when we were saying "hey look. There's Willie Miller! Shall we go over and say hi? Nah, he'll want to spend time with his missus"

And whaddya know, another group of Aberdeen fans wandered straight into the restaurant after seeing Miller thru the window and went "hey Willie! How's it going??!! You're awesome, by the way". Willie's reaction? He completely ignored his missus, and started shaking the hands of the guys who spoke to him, and started signing autographs and talking Dandies folklore.

Unbelievable, this man. Surely he's the biggest ambassador the club has ever known. He carries the club on his sleeve wherever he goes.

That was us!!  :thumbsup:

I genuinely don't rememeber anyone else being there, sorry if i missed you. I was as awe-struck as you, doing tequilla slammers with McGhee and Cooper isn't something i'll forget in a hurry, despite the hazy recollection the next day!

But yeh... Brilliant night! Next time i'm at one of these events i'll look out for a massive, walking, talking bristly tache  :thumbsup:

Best night ever. There's bound to be a 25 year event next year, but i doubt it'll be as good.

Forgot to add, we went to Jumpin Jaks afterwards (it was where they were heading next), and saw a very drunk Dennis Wyness. He'd just signed for Hearts that week, and spent about 20 minutes speaking to us about AFC and how much he'd have loved to come back, promised he would try not to score against us, then heard Willie Miller was in Jaks and ran off to speak to him! His bird wasn't best impressed, but her complaining was shot down with "shoosh woman, these boys are reds". I'd forgotten just how brilliantly surreal that whole night was.  :beers:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WaitingInTheMiddle

I do indeed - right by my pc. Sounds like a good night. You should have asked him something crazy like, say, "can I feel your bum". ;D