Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The boy Byrne

Following JC's comments on Richie filling Russel's boots, it got me thinking.

Ok, he's not the composed, calm positionally aware defender that Cadger was, but he is a  big brute of a cunt - how many folk have been saying we need one of those? Also, I have heard numerous people over the last couple of seasons say they thought bid Dick's best position would be centre-half.

Stick him in their next to a ball player like Karim and you might have a solid partnership.

Or you might just have a big Irish diddy and a Dutchman.

So we're going for big Irish diddy then?

Was really just trying to get into Calderwood's head on this one and see where he's coming from, and that's the only explanation I can come up with, and it does explain why we have never bought a hulking big centre back in the close season, especially as I think JC believes we need one.

Was the boy he tried to get from the Pars not a bit of a bruiser? (was it Shields? I can't remember)

Anyway, I tend to agree that it's a fucking stupid idea, but almost, just for a second there, I thought I had maybe got to grips with how the tombola works.....

i've got nae idea why he'd be anywhere near the team at all, to be honest.

considering we've got diamond, considine, mair, touzani and jackie mac who can all play there (and that's nae even counting severin), byrne shouldn't even be anywhere near the bench, never mind given a starting slot.

i shuddered when i read that jc's comments the day too.

considering we've got diamond, considine, mair, touzani and jackie mac who can all play there (and that's nae even counting severin)

This is why I think the 'Thug' factor is the only possible reason for the orange one's haverings.

None of these guys - while some are strong and athletic - are 'hard'

Can't see how we have one dimensional players at the back?!?  IMO, they're all different:

Hart - pace and usually reads the game well.

Touzani - no pace but good positioning and more of a natural ball player.

Considine - Height and strength and I think in time, he'll show that he can pass a ball too.  Sometimes doesn't read the game well (but think it'll come with time).

Diamond - May not be as reliable as Russ and gets caught out of position a bit but has heart and is willing to get wired in.

McNamara - reads the game very well and has a wealth of experience.  is a little light weight.

Byrne - Not quick, not a ball player but will never shirk a chanllenge (sometimes he probably should!)

Never really seen Mair play so can't comment.

I think in time, the defence will be ok.  To me, JC biggest problem is what formation to play and who to play as his 'first' choice defenders.  We all want a dedicated right back and dedicated left back and Russell back but for what we actually have I think there's a good enough variety there to make the defence work.

Can't see how we have one dimensional players at the back?!?  IMO, they're all different:

Hart - pace and usually reads the game well.

Touzani - no pace but good positioning and more of a natural ball player.

Considine - Height and strength and I think in time, he'll show that he can pass a ball too.  Sometimes doesn't read the game well (but think it'll come with time).

Diamond - May not be as reliable as Russ and gets caught out of position a bit but has heart and is willing to get wired in.

McNamara - reads the game very well and has a wealth of experience.  is a little light weight.

Byrne - Not quick, not a ball player but will never shirk a chanllenge (sometimes he probably should!)

Never really seen Mair play so can't comment.

And our forwards arenae really one-dimensional either. Admittedly, we're missing a real tall target-man. But effective and tall targetmen are already on decent wages with other clubs. But what we've got ain't bad at all:

Brewster: old and slow, but has a phenomenal footballing brain on him, and knows where the back of the net is

Mackie: quick as fuck, and a bit of an opportunist. Not that intelligent though

Lovell: clinical. Probably the most naturally gifted striker we have. Quite strong too

Miller: Good close control. Inconsistent though

Maguire: not fortunate enough to have seen this boy yet. Maybe someone else can comment

I don't think the problem is really with our personnel. I think it's more to do with where they are positioned around the park. I mean, defenders in midfield, and midfielders in defence. WTF? Those choices are all down to one man. If you've trained for years to be competent in a particular role, and then all of a sudden your boss says "right, today we're gonna put you into a different department", you're not exactly gonna take to it like a duck to water, are you?