Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee: duo have brought boos on themselves

McGhee: duo have brought boos on themselves

ABERDEEN MANAGER BELIEVES NEITHER KERR NOR McDONALD HAVE HELPED THEIR CAUSE

By Paul Third

Published: 04/05/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee believes midfielders Mark Kerr and Gary McDonald have brought the wrath of the Dons support on themselves.

Captain Kerr was booed throughout Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at home to Hamilton, while McDonald, who is expected to return for to-morrow’s game against Kilmarnock, has also been targeted by the disillusioned support this season.

Both men are heading out of Pittodrie after Saturday’s final game at St Mirren, and there is unlikely to be a warm appreciation of their efforts this season from the stands.

McGhee has sympathy for the duo, but believes neither man has helped his own cause.

He said: “Kerr has been more good than bad, regardless of what anyone says, and McDonald has been poor all season.

“Neither of them have committed to signing contracts and supporters are sitting watching them saying ‘these guys haven’t signed new deals and look how they are playing’. The players have brought the boos and jeers on themselves in many ways and I don’t think they have helped themselves.”

With two games remaining of a hugely disappointing season remaining, McGhee will resist the temptation to field his younger players as he believes such a measure would be counterproductive.

Ninth is the best the Dons can hope for in the SPL in the remaining games, but McGhee is not surprised at the fall from fourth place last year.

He said: “I am adamant we have done only a little bit worse than circumstances have allowed, but I will give myself a chance to do better next season by having a larger group of players and better quality there.

“We need the breaks too of players staying fit during the campaign, but certainly we can help our own cause by not having players sent off at the rate we have suffered this season.

“I have no expectations of the two remaining games and I will not be changing my opinion on the basis of what I see against Kilmarnock or St Mirren.”

Once 2.15pm comes on Saturday, McGhee can get down to the arduous task of bringing about change at Pittodrie for next season, but is not just new personnel he needs.

New ideals and more commitment are also sought in equal measure.

He said: “There is a culture we need to change at the club and a mentality we must address.

“I hear often about there being unrealistic expectations at this club, but I don’t agree.

“Expectations should be a target to aspire to, not a barrier to success.”

He added: “I want to see some responsibility, some pride in performance and understanding that getting sent off is counterproductive.

“I thought we had arrested the problem earlier in the season, but it is clear we need to reinforce it.”

Complete disagree with "I am adamant we have done only a little bit worse than circumstances have allowed".

We have done a helluva lot worse than circumstances have allowed.

Aye that bit got me scratching me head but the rest of it, I completely agree with. At least he admits that Kerr has had an inconsistent ( :o) season and McDonald has just been horse shit all season.

He said: “There is a culture we need to change at the club and a mentality we must address.

“I hear often about there being unrealistic expectations at this club, but I don’t agree.

“Expectations should be a target to aspire to, not a barrier to success.”

He added: “I want to see some responsibility, some pride in performance and understanding that getting sent off is counterproductive.

“I thought we had arrested the problem earlier in the season, but it is clear we need to reinforce it.”

Complete and utter agreement. Finally speaks some sense for the first time in a long time. The pathetic performances to lower league opposition in the cup and usually against the lower placed teams in the league have been going on to long.

I feel quite refreshed from reading that. Minus the bit about Kerr being more good than bad. He's been honking in comparison to last season.

But at least he acknowledges we do not have unrealistic expectations/hopes. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just please get your transfers sorted.

Guest leith_red

All very well saying that, but if he thinks they've been rotten all season why has he kept playing them?

All very well saying that, but if he thinks they've been rotten all season why has he kept playing them?

I guess because he's not got a whole load of other options. Fyvie has made a promising start to his career but perhaps McGhee sees him as a bit too young yet to be getting a weekly start? Da ken.

Aberdeen midfielder Gary McDonald has described the booing he and club captain Mark Kerr have been getting from fans as "water off a duck's back".

"At Oldham, I signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen at the end of April and still had a couple of games to play at Oldham," said McDonald.

"Fans there gave me a bit of stick as well. At the time I just laughed.

"One minute I was the hero scoring against Everton and the next they were booing me. Water off a duck's back."

McDonald was responding to comments made by Pittodrie manager Mark McGhee, who suggested that Kerr and McDonald's form mixed with their decision not to commit to the club next season may be affecting the attitude of supporters.

"Nobody wants to be involved in a team with the way the results have gone this season for us," said McDonald.

McDonald unfazed by fan abuse

"Obviously I've played my part in that, as everyone has in the dressing room, and we're extremely disappointed how this season's gone."

The 28-year-old insists his form this season has not been affected by uncertainty over his future.

"I can honestly say it doesn't cross your mind when you go on the park," he said.

"The very last thing on your mind is what's happening with your future at the end of the season. You're just concentrating on each game and trying to do the best you can for Aberdeen Football Club."

And McDonald will wait until the season ends before making a decision on whether he moves on or not.

"To be honest, I'm just waiting until the end of the season," McDonald said.

"I was concentrating on getting back fit. I'm back fit now. I'd like to get a game or two under my belt then I'll have a think about things and what I want to do.

"I've not ruled out (staying) at all. I've just said I want to wait until the end of the season, to take stock of things and decide what's the best thing for me and my family to do."

Relegation-threatened Kilmarnock travel to Pittodrie on Wednesday and though McDonald feels sympathy for his former club's plight, he insists he will not let it affect his own game.

"Obviously I feel for my old club because they're in a real dire situation at the moment and I certainly hope they can get out of it," he added.

"At least they know that it's in their hands to know that if they can beat Falkirk in the last game then I'm sure that'll be enough for them to stay up.

"We've got to be professional and we'll be looking for a victory for Aberdeen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8660739.stm

I've included the link as there's a colour photo of him with the article. I know many of you have either never seen the cunt before or didn't even believe he existed...

"water off a duck's back"

Do you know if the guy had even an ounce of common sense and decency, he'd say - "yeah, I'm disappointed in my form and understand that the fans are not happy. I'd rather they didn't feel the need to boo, but if they do, I have to accept that and try to win them round by playing well and trying hard for the team."

Not come out and say " aye well, I don't care, it doesn't bother me, I didn't care at my last place, I don't care at this place, and quite frankly, I'm surprised I even bothered turning up for this interview, because I just don't care."