Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: McGhee is looking forward to Caley Thistle return to top flight

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1708739/?UserKey=

MARK McGhee is relishing the chance for Aberdeen to renew rivalries with Inverness when Caley Thistle make their return to the SPL next season.

The Dons manager knows games between the Highlanders and his side ignited a derby atmosphere and he expects Inverness to be keen to show they are the new pride in the north of Scottish football.

The Dons finished above Inverness throughout the Highlanders’ SPL years, but with Terry Butcher’s First Division champions finishing the season with a flourish, McGhee expects them to bring the best out of his players when they return following their one-year absence.

He said: “Their supporters see us as the closest they have to a derby game in the SPL, so I expect the matches next season between us to be fiercely competitive, but I look forward to it.

“Derby matches add an edge to games and I am looking forward to the challenge. I’m all for anything which brings out an extra edge in players and I am sure the bragging rights in the north will make for a great spectacle.â€

McGhee has watched Inverness during their fantastic run towards the title and he is not surprised to see the Caledonian Stadium outfit embark on a 20-match unbeaten run.

He said: “Terry has great experience and has transformed the side since they dropped down a division.â€

“He will know his team needs to be a bit better in the SPL, but I am sure he has done his homework and will bring in a few new faces in the summer.

“I’ve watched them a couple of times this season and it is clear they are a very potent side going forward.â€

Another hint that he is looking at Rooney.

But I am delighted they are back up, a great day out.

Been at Caley's ground a few times but never been going to it from Aberdeen or managed a full day out so hopefully get one next season. Whys it such a good day oot?! I've always found that Caleys ground is atmosphereless ground! Good pish up on the train? Good pubs? Is it no a bit of a hassle getting fae the centre to the staduim if I remember correctly?

Been at Caley's ground a few times but never been going to it from Aberdeen or managed a full day out so hopefully get one next season. Whys it such a good day oot?! I've always found that Caleys ground is atmosphereless ground! Good pish up on the train? Good pubs? Is it no a bit of a hassle getting fae the centre to the staduim if I remember correctly?

Beer is probably the main reason. Most of the games I have been to there a large number of the fans at the game have been hammered. Helps the atmosphere. Christmas trip last season was particularly messy

Its good for a few reasons, decent rivalry on the park as they have such a stinking record against us.  It is added to by the fact that there are loads of aberdeen fans in inverness which pisses off ict fans as well as meaning for a lot of the away support its essentially a home game and they can get on the blooter early doors in the comfort of their own home. 

Mainly the train aspect as far as I can mind, pubs are good in the town. It is miles from the town the ground but I have never been in a fit enough state to remember going to the ground to be honest.

The rest of the points are rubbish, it is purely the booze that makes it a good day as you've got so long on it regardless where you are travelling from. If they stopped you taking booze on the train it would be up there with Kilmarnock in terms of epic rubbishness.

No, no, no, no, no... I hate Inverness more than the Huns. Their supporters are a bunch of whining teuchters plus the A9 is a shite road, there aren't enough trains and all of the pubs are shitholes. Would rather have seen Dundee or Ross County come up

So Dingwall is easier to get to than Inverness? :lolabove:

No, no, no, no, no... I hate Inverness more than the Huns. Their supporters are a bunch of whining teuchters plus the A9 is a shite road, there aren't enough trains and all of the pubs are shitholes. Would rather have seen Dundee or Ross County come up

When did the mass migration from fife to inverness happen??