🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: Kerr talks no famous last words

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1684277/?UserKey=

dons skipper won’t tolerate complacency in the bottom-six battle

By Michael Gannon

Published: 10/04/2010

Mark Kerr is not taking Aberdeen’s safety for granted

More Pictures

Too good to go down? Those are the famous last words that usually end up as the epitaph on the gravestones of the relegated.

Football is littered with casualties who were described as such.

Aberdeen have never suffered the ignominy of the drop but better Dons sides than the current crop have come close in the past.

The nine-point cushion Mark McGhee’s side enjoy above Falkirk at the foot of the SPL should prove sufficient, but defeat by St Johnstone at Pittodrie tomorrow could ensure a nervous final five fixtures in the bottom six.

Dons skipper Mark Kerr is not taking safety for granted and is determined to avoid being the first Aberdeen captain to suffer the shame of relegation.

He said: “I am the captain so obviously the way this season has gone has not reflected well on me.

“A lot of the focus will come on me but I have to concentrate on getting the players up for the remaining games.

“I know the players are gutted to be where we are.

“We know we got ourselves into this position but the attitude in the dressing-room is we want to get out of it.

“When you are on a run like we are, and not winning games, it is easy to get sucked into it.

“The teams down there are fighting for everything and we cannot think we will be okay just because we are Aberdeen.

“We have got to look after ourselves and get enough points on the board. We cannot look to others to drop points and we do not want to lose any more games in the position we are in.

“We have to throw ourselves into it to make sure we finish as high up the table as we can.â€

St Johnstone can still reach the top six if Hearts lose against Kilmarnock today and Kerr is anticipating another testing encounter.

He said: “It is going to be a scrap in the bottom six and we have to be ready for the challenge.

“There are good teams down there who have given us really hard games this season. St Johnstone will be no different.

“St Johnstone are a well-organised side with good players.

“They need Killie to do them a favour but they could have the top six to go for themselves.

“The very least you get against them is a battle.â€

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1684277/?UserKey=#ixzz0khMhkyg0

The teams down there are fighting for everything and we cannot think we will be okay just because we are Aberdeen.

Unfortunately most of the current squad are happy to sit pretty picking up the "Aberdeen-wage", whilst knowing full well that Aberdeen really cannot afford to let them go regardless of how poorly they play ... see Kerr/Grassi being offered new deals. With Falkirk picking up three more points yesterday, we are now only two poor weeks away from sitting in last place. St Mirren, Killie, and Falkirk are all fighting well at the moment, and I actually EXPECT to see us sitting on the bottom of the league come the final week of the season. I think we'll escape relegation by the skin of our teeth, but it will only be because those players who got us into that position will suddenly sit up and actually perform to the level we all know they are capable of.

Unfortunately most of the current squad are happy to sit pretty picking up the "Aberdeen-wage", whilst knowing full well that Aberdeen really cannot afford to let them go regardless of how poorly they play ... see Kerr/Grassi being offered new deals. With Falkirk picking up three more points yesterday, we are now only two poor weeks away from sitting in last place. St Mirren, Killie, and Falkirk are all fighting well at the moment, and I actually EXPECT to see us sitting on the bottom of the league come the final week of the season. I think we'll escape relegation by the skin of our teeth, but it will only be because those players who got us into that position will suddenly sit up and actually perform to the level we all know they are capable of.

???

That makes no sense how on earth would they suddenly be able to play to any level if they manage to get us to the bottom of the table in the next 3 weeks - they would absolutely crap it on the last day  >:D

I've told them they are on trial and there is nobody that isn't threatened in terms of their position. But they can all be here next season if in the next five games they do it properly and show the effort and commitment that is required.

That one highlighted bit has finally turned me against McGhee. These are the same men who've gone one win in thirteen matches! There is probably five players I'd keep, the rest MUST MUST go in the summer. If McGhee is even contemplating giving everyone a lifeline, then he has basically said it's okay for them to go a whole season of playing shite, so long as they don't finish in last place.

Goodbye McGhee. You've finally lost this dandy's faith. GTF out of this club.  :wave:>:D

I've told them we are on trial and there is nobody that isn't threatened in terms of their position. But we can all be here next season if in the next five games we do it properly and show the effort and commitment that is required.

i'm assuming that is what he means and thats fkn scary....the thought of another season of this shite!

If those players cannot raise themselves for two all-or-nothing cup games against Raith, and cannot overcome the might of St Johnstone, Falkirk or Kilmarnock at a critical time in the season, what chance to we honestly think they'll have in the REAL dogfight that will be the final 3 games of the season. Two games from now, we could be equal-bottom of the league. This team don't have the fight in them to escape relegation. Why? Because most of them already know they are on their way in the summer. They will fuck off to another club, whilst Aberdeen gets relegated for the first time ever.

I hate to admit it, but this team depresses me more than any of the starting lineups that Alex Miller fielded. At least Alex Miller's sides had a few shots on-goal.

He's tried it all mate, he's blasted them, defended them, now he's just trying to cajole one last win out of them!

Its obvious they don't want to play for Aberdeen anymore and are not bothered if they take him down with them.

That said with the exception of Mulgrew who other teams will probably rate where do the other out of contract players think they are going? You were part of the Adeen squad bombed out of the cup by two lower league teams and finished 9th-12th. Yeah here's a 3 year deal? I seriously think some players are deluded if they think they'll get deals elsewhere.

I'm at a loss to see why everyone rates Mulgrew, he's a pish poor defender, and even worse in midfield. His free kicks have dried up, he hasn't scored for ages and he's one of the least interested looking players on the park.

Says the man who has mulgrew as the focal point of his signature  ;D

I'm at a loss to see why everyone rates Mulgrew, he's a pish poor defender, and even worse in midfield. His free kicks have dried up, he hasn't scored for ages and he's one of the least interested looking players on the park.

agree with you there Padre. Couldn't give a fuck if the guy never played for us again.

Aye your not the first I've heard to be pissed at mulgrew's attitude this season.  Re whyte, I didn't think he was a bad captain. He was never shy of taking responsibility or trying to motivate players. No where he fell down was that he was just nothing short of an appalling footballer! The only worse defenders I have seen at aberdeen are byrne and solberg

I think he's been alright at centre half.  There have been far far worse players than him this season.

Precisely.

He's been playing at centre back, hardly likely to influence proceedings from there and equally less likely to be taking set piece kicks.

Much like the rest of the team his performance has dipped dramatically since last season though he has scored more than any other cunt this season.