Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Paton to learn from Rooney, Torres and Harper (slow news day!)

Paton must learn from best to be Aberdeen FC goal king

Mark’s advice to striker

By Ross McTavish

Published: 31/03/2010

MARK McGhee today told Michael Paton to study three greats of the game to fulfil his potential as a penalty box predator.

The Aberdeen FC boss claimed his 20-year-old striker can become a regular goalscorer if he improves his positioning.

McGhee wants Paton to learn from two current stars – Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres of Liverpool – as well as one Aberdeen FC legend – Evening Express columnist Joe Harper.

• 3 months later...

Along similar lines in today's P&J:

McGhee is also hoping the returning Chris Maguire has learned lessons from watching the World Cup and is willing to work harder.

The 21-year-old has flattered to deceive and was farmed out on loan to Kilmarnock in January for the second half of the campaign in a bid to secure regular football.

McGhee said: “I asked him if he had been watching Spain’s David Villa.

“I said to him he works hard, he runs around, and Chris said to me that was exactly the same thing his dad had said to him.

“When Chris plays and he runs at players and he’s full of energy and works hard. He could be a really good player for us.

“Watching those sorts of players will encourage him to take a more industrious attitude towards his game.”

On the theme of utterly pointless stories, from today's EE:

RUAIDHRI Higgins today claimed Aberdeen FC should focus on youth when bringing in trialists this summer.

Aberdeen FC this week have two 18-year-olds trying to win deals at the club, keeper Ryan Jones and midfielder Conor Okus.

Ruaidhri was one of 13 hopefuls who joined Aberdeen FC on trial last season with the goal of winning a contract at Pittodrie.

Who is Ruaidhri Higgins and why should we care what he thinks? Really scraping the barrel now.

On the theme of utterly pointless stories, from today's EE:

Who is Ruaidhri Higgins and why should we care what he thinks? Really scraping the barrel now.

I think he was the Derry player who we had as a back-up in case we failed to get the Nigerian lad who we DID fail to get to. So Higgins became second best on a candidate list of one.

Guest ally s

I think he was the Derry player who we had as a back-up in case we failed to get the Nigerian lad who we DID fail to get to. So Higgins became second best on a candidate list of one.

I was under the impression we rejected the chance to sign the Nigerian lad and instead signed Paul Marshall?

Guest ally s

I'm pretty sure the Nigerian snubbed us because we offered peanuts.

Marshall in pole position to join Aberdeen FC

Door opens for Man City midfielder

By Sean Wallace

Published: 16/12/2009

ON TRIAL: Manchester City midfielder Paul Marshall.

More Pictures

MANCHESTER City midfielder Paul Marshall today moved a step closer to a January move to Aberdeen FC.

Marshall is now in pole position to come to Pittodrie after Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee killed off his interest in Nigerian international Paul Obiefule.

Midfielder Obiefule responded by signing a three-year deal with Norwegian side HBK Honefoss.

Teenager Marshall has been invited back for a second week on trial at Pittodrie.

McGhee said: “The fact that Marshall is still here says it all, and I will continue to assess him.

“I could have signed Obiefule if I wanted to, but decided against it.

“It is my job to assess players and look at what they could potentially bring to the club.

“My interest in Obiefule was to see if he could be the right player or not for us.

“I decided not to go down that route.”

Marshall in pole position to join Aberdeen FC

Door opens for Man City midfielder

By Sean Wallace

Published: 16/12/2009

ON TRIAL: Manchester City midfielder Paul Marshall.

More Pictures

MANCHESTER City midfielder Paul Marshall today moved a step closer to a January move to Aberdeen FC.

Marshall is now in pole position to come to Pittodrie after Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee killed off his interest in Nigerian international Paul Obiefule.

Midfielder Obiefule responded by signing a three-year deal with Norwegian side HBK Honefoss.

Teenager Marshall has been invited back for a second week on trial at Pittodrie.

McGhee said: “The fact that Marshall is still here says it all, and I will continue to assess him.

“I could have signed Obiefule if I wanted to, but decided against it.

“It is my job to assess players and look at what they could potentially bring to the club.

“My interest in Obiefule was to see if he could be the right player or not for us.

“I decided not to go down that route.”

I was wrong. And unfortunately it looks like MM was too.