Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mark McGhee admits interest in Jimmy's Dross

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8590712.stm

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will consider a summer move to bring midfielder Jamie Smith back to the Scottish Premier League club.

Smith quit Pittodrie for Colorado Rapids at the end of last season but has expressed an interest in returning.

"He is a player who we know is well good enough to help us," McGhee said.

The 29-year-old Smith played only four games for the Major League Soccer outfit before suffering a season-ending knee injury.

Smith, who began his career with Celtic, joined Aberdeen from Den Haag in 2005 but left the Dons last summer.

The midfielder had been given until the end of the season to prove his fitness by then manager Jimmy Calderwood following a series of injuries.

McGhee, who took over at Pittodrie in the summer, has expressed his frustration with the current Aberdeen squad.

With his side unlikely to secure a top-six finish, the manager is planning to overhaul the personnel at the end of the season.

No Mark, No. There was never any doubt over his ability, we can't afford passengers.

The 29-year-old Smith played only four games for the Major League Soccer outfit before suffering a season-ending knee injury.

Fuck sake.

I loved the guy in a red jersey, as good as anyone for a long time but as Dave says, likely to be a passenger. He'd needed to have shown he can play for a few months.

That said the old "pay as you play" shit may be applicable.

as the others have said, not a good idea.  When he was on his game he was one of our best players in a team that had some pretty good players in it, but Scott Booth would be ashamed of that injury history.  I like Smith and I genuinely hope that he can have a sustained period of full fitness and have a successful end to his career, but unfortunately I just don't think Aberdeen can afford take the gamble that it's with us.

I think that Red Bulls v Chicago will be a close game. Both have good players. I like Blanco of the Fire and Jamie Smith, although he is struggling to be fit.

;)

Sorted, probably makes more sense to most of us this side of the pond

One correction... Smith didn't play 4 games, he played 3 and a bit. He broke down with his latest long term injury part way through game 4, so he's actually only managed 3 full games.

The club would have to be absolutely insane to sign Smith, regardless of how good he is. He's a liability.  A drain on wages and resources that the club can't afford.

Guest rocket debris

No way to Smith for an obvious reason, too obvious for me to waste time repeating what others have already said. It's like when you split up with a girlfriend and then get back together again. The result of rerecruiting him would end up with the same consequence. Perhaps consequence and result would have been better. 

I reckon we should sign Smith. Whilst we're at it, lets have Scotty Booth back again. And whilst we're on that topic, let's see what Paul Bernard is up to.

:hammer: :hammer:

This sorta talk of interest by McGhee is making me wish we'd take a leap out of Celtic's books and just bin McGhee now in the hope that we've got a summer and-a-little-bit-more to get the new gaffer in, get the team playing properly again, and get some decent players in .... not a Smith who has spent all but 3.5 games in the treatment room since he left us, and keeping Kerr - one of the players who the Red Army currently loathe with a passion.

Get someone in who is gonna get this squad ticking once again. Get someone in who can stand up and say "Kerr, yer a nae bad player, but ye couldnae lead a donkey to a carrot. Zander, you're captain now!".

I think that Red Bulls v Chicago will be a close game. Both have good players. I like Blanco of the Fire and Juan Pablo Angel is at the Red Bulls, although he is struggling to be fit.

You were spot on - ended up 1-0 to New York. Crowd was over 24500 (capacity is 25000) and cracking atmosphere. Was actually a decent standard as well - far better than I was expecting.

You were spot on - ended up 1-0 to New York. Crowd was over 24500 (capacity is 25000) and cracking atmosphere. Was actually a decent standard as well - far better than I was expecting.

Yes I watched some of the game on tv. Sounded like a good atmosphere. I think the standard of MLS has gone up since I moved here 6 years ago.

Alright boys and lasses!!

i aint a big supporter of bringing players back to the club where they first played at but . . .

First thing, 'when' he played for us he was a decent player and always played his heart out . . .

Second thing, how many players of his standard could we pick up on our wage bracket on a free transfer that would do his job??

His only problem was fitness

A problem for me too . . . but under our circumstances, i would take him back on a pay per play basis!!  Back up for Pawlett wouldnt hurt

Imagination has been SEVERELY lacking this season.

BTW  that doesnt mean i am on a bring back . . ? post