Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: McGhee concentrates on Dons

McGhee concentrates on Dons

I haven’t given Hoops job a second’s thought, says mark

By Michael Gannon

Published: 26/03/2010

ABERDEEN manager Mark McGhee last night distanced himself from the vacant Celtic job, insisting he is fully focused on the task in hand at Pittodrie.

Tony Mowbray’s dismissal as Celtic manager yesterday instigated the inevitable avalanche of names linked with the position.

As one of the managers interviewed for the role before Mowbray’s appointment last summer, McGhee’s name is already featuring high on the considerable list of bookmakers’ runners and riders.

McGhee served both Aberdeen and Celtic with distinction as a player and last year he made no secret of his desire to manage the Hoops.

This time, though, he insists he has enough on his plate at Pittodrie to give the Celtic role little more than a cursory glance.

A disappointing first season at the helm at the Dons has tested the manager to the extreme but it has only strengthened his resolve to be a success at Pittodrie.

He said yesterday: “It (the Celtic job) did not even occur to me until I was asked about it. I know it was an issue in the summer but things have changed since then. I am not even giving it a second’s thought. I have a big job at Aberdeen and all I am concerned about is finishing the season as best we can and preparing for the start of next season.â€

McGhee’s immediate task is hauling his Dons out of an 11-match winless slump – against the side which brought down Mowbray’s Celtic regime.

St Mirren’s 4-0 victory against the Hoops, just four days after the Paisley side floundered so spectacularly against nine-man Rangers in the League Cup final, was one of the shocks of the season.

McGhee said: “Before the Celtic game a few people might have thought St Mirren would come here still suffering something of a hangover from the cup final. That will not be the case now.â€

He said yesterday: “It (the Celtic job) did not even occur to me until I was asked about it. I know it was an issue in the summer but things have changed since then. I am not even giving it a second’s thought. I have a big job at Aberdeen and all I am concerned about is finishing the season as best we can and preparing for the start of next season.â€

Yes they have seen how out of your depth you really are.

This article should really read along the lines of: "Celtic not thinking of Mcghee so he is stuck where he is so he will babble some nonsense to try and look good."

After the disaster that has been this season I do not think any team, let alone Celtic, will want to take Mcghee off our hands and if he thinks they may be looking at him then I would say he is delusional.

It was obvious the media would ask him about it but he's realistic about it, it will frustrate him as someone who has always wanted to better himself that he's basically gone from being a candidate to having no chance due to what's happened at Adeen. If we were 3rd in the table, in the latter stages of the cups etc I think he'd be a cert. Sadly for everyone concerned its just not happened.

It was obvious the media would ask him about it but he's realistic about it, it will frustrate him as someone who has always wanted to better himself that he's basically gone from being a candidate to having no chance due to what's happened at Adeen. If we were 3rd in the table, in the latter stages of the cups etc I think he'd be a cert. Sadly for everyone concerned its just not happened.

Interesting take. Almost as "interesting" as this take from AFChat.

Its a blessing in disguise that Mark has faced a tough season with us.

If we we're where Hibs and United are now, we'd be facing up to losing a manager right now.

I'm pleased to read that he's 100% Dandy and with us all the way.

I'm trusting this guy big time and I don't think he'll let us down

Thank god we've had a dreadful season!  :-\

Its a blessing in disguise that Mark has faced a tough season with us.

If we we're where Hibs and United are now, we'd be facing up to losing a manager right now.

I'm pleased to read that he's 100% Dandy and with us all the way.

I'm trusting this guy big time and I don't think he'll let us down

what a bizzare way to look at the shite we've had to put up with ???

what a bizzare way to look at the shite we've had to put up with ???

Bizarre yes, but very much in keeping with the story on there. "He can do better with what Calderood had" "It's Calderwood's dross that's the problem" "He'll sign some real quality no like Calderwood's dross" "It's a season of transition" "Cup success is what he was brought in for" "We need a season of being shite" "We are shite but luckily we've shown we can keep us that way" "It's Calderwood's fault"